Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

two months since SilverWing traded

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

two months since SilverWing traded Empty
PostSubject: two months since SilverWing traded   two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 19, 2017 11:22 am

Now been a little short of two months since my 2013 traded in at near 50,000 miles. Do I miss it? Not really, as aging rider at 78, it was getting heavy for me at low speed stuff--at least 600 lbs loaded up and lack of complete control of gas/clutch/rear brake for balance aid. I don't like to dump bikes....and they are heavy/top heavy loaded for tour.....and they can be, and are often dumped, static or in parking situations. Right?

Replacement is Honda CB300F, at least 200-250 lbs lighter and better balanced. Experience with this new bike: performance about same as SilverWing. MPG=up to 80mpg---really sucks gas riding near 80mph, getting 60mpg-----trying to train myself to run along at 55-60 mph. DO NOT miss the buffeting, all maxiscooters seem to have, in spite of Givi adjustable windshield---current windshield set up on CB300F---Puig model specific small screen, backed up by Slipstreamer C-30 mounted to bars....this combo providing buffet free, look over comfort. Added Hepco & Becker C-Box hard mount bags and their luggage rack topped by $40 small Bestem top box. No negatives on handling either slow or fast. I need capacity to carry stuff.

As the bike is Thai, I see no difference from made in Japan. My total investment, just under $5000, you have to shop for insurance as some companies rate it as Sportsbike and can be really expensive---I found Allstate took it as reg low displacement motorcycle.

So far satisfied--only will go to dealer, if warranty work needed, hope it goes well to the 50,000 miles mark I usually trade at.

Comfort=ok, seat hard, but I usually stop every 1 hr or 50 miles anyway---that way last well thru whole day.

I still like scooters, have to see what is available in the future,
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: two months since SilverWing traded   two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm

You should get 50,000 miles on that 300. Thanks for posting your experiences on that new ride. And for some comparisons to the Swing.

Funny, I found the difference in buffeting exactly the opposite. When I had my Honda 450 Nighthawk (though I loved the bike) in windy conditions and rode interstates, I couldn't wait too get off on a slower road. Both the 450 (about 400 pounds) and I were buffeted greatly. I had a small wind screen which helped a little, but still got knocked around. Of the bikes I have ridden and owned, I ALWAYS found the heavier bikes more stable. This Swing is very comfortable to me in the wind. I find the wind pushing my body, but not pushing the Swing. I am crossing river bridges on it in as much (maybe even more) comfort than my Kawasaki Vulcan Custom 900 (about the same weight as the Swing). The Swing should be inherently more stable because of its lower center of gravity from its small wheels, low gas tank, and lower engine. And I must say, the fairing on the Swing is the best that I have sat behind so far.

However, I really have to agree with you about the stability factor in slow parking lot speeds and pushing and pulling the Swing beast around. I can tell you don't miss that. The 300 must be a pleasant change.

Regarding the MPG, a 300 bike will need to rev higher at high speeds. You will have much better mpg with the 300 in city travel than the Swing. The Swing gives awful gas mileage in local town traffic because of its higher revs under 40 mph. So both bikes neutralize each other in mpg, depending on your speed, though overall, I'm thinking, the 300 will give you much better mileage.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: two months since SilverWing traded   two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 7:47 am

Description of buffeting in my book, is not the air moving the bike around----but it is the air beating your head around---maxiscooters, your nose is too far from tip of windshield.....they all do it. Ride a lot (30,000 or more miles a year) and besides being uncomfortable, it can drive you nuts. My base line for comfort behind look over windshield----BMW R50 or R-27 with Heinrich fairing, HD old frame with up//down solo seat and winter windshield kit----maxiscooters suck in this aspect....big shots in industry do not ride, so designs slip thru. Vespas can be made buffeting free, too. Having had over 75 new bikes, I have some experience in the comfort area.....and ridden them a lot.

MPG---CB300F long range will beat SilverWing in average gas mileage by at least 15mpg. My SilverWing experience, some tanks below 50 mpg, some in the 40's---long trips really never got over 60mpg. Difference is engine displacement.

Weight---if weight were stabilizing factor----racers would be required to carry lead weights. Scooters present lots of side area to the wind and get blown about. as do big tanks like Goldwing.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: two months since SilverWing traded   two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 5:06 pm

"Scooters present lots of side area to the wind and get blown about. as do big tanks like Goldwing."

Fairings also present lots of side area to the wind. Maybe racing bikes would have more speed and stability without all that plastic.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: two months since SilverWing traded   two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 9:54 pm

I don't know about the 'big tanks' being buffeted. My SWs didn't produce much more or less buffeting as any of the Goldwings, in other words not much even passing semis in heavy cross winds. I've ridden both the SW and GL across the Tacoma Narrows bridge many times. With the heavy crosswind, grates on the roadway and the suspension towers blocking the winds in places it's a good test. Maybe I'm just insensitive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: two months since SilverWing traded   two months since SilverWing traded I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

two months since SilverWing traded
Page 1 of 1