Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 1:44 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Yesterday at 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Fri May 10, 2024 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working

Go down 
+2
Cosmic_Jumper
eggster34
6 posters
AuthorMessage
eggster34
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-06-24

ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working Empty
PostSubject: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:31 am

Hi there, I have a '04 silverwing with 12.000 miles (just had a service where the brake fluid, air filter, spark plugs etc. were changed etc.)
10-15 miles after the service the ABS light started blinking and the ABS system stopped working. The stealership says they need to change the ABS ECU , but I'm sure it's something much more simpler than this. Has anyone experienced the same issue? What would be your suggestions to diagnose the cause of the problem?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 am

Chances are 9 out of 10 that they didn't bleed the brakes completely / fully / correctly (delete as appropriate). And/or they've gotten brake fluid on the rotor.

If that does end up being the issue then it's time to change to a dealer that actually knows what they're doing. Ya really don't want some dick-fingered wrench fooling with your ride --"Gol-ly, always wanted t'fix me one-a them scooter thangs".
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

My "guess" - a failure to properly bleed the brakes. That "guess" does not preclude the ABS ECU could have failed, it just seems more likely that they did not do a proper bleeding of the brakes.

Now then, some shops do not do a full brake fluid replacement. Some shops will just siphon out the fluid in the reservoirs and then refill. Not a very kind way to do the task, but it happens.

However, I have not experienced this problem and am truly not familiar.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 1:49 am

Not really sure. Surely the dealer can double-check their own work to find out. Either that, or find someone (maybe yourself) to do a quick brake system bleed; which should eliminate that aspect. I'd think if the system operated ok for awhile, then failed, that the ECU could also be a plausible cause. But do the simple stuff first.

And "CJ"... could we watch the salty phrases ? ? ? I'm no prude but this is hardly the place for such things.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 8:19 am

(Ya really don't want some dick-fingered wrench fooling with your ride --"Gol-ly, always wanted t'fix me one-a them scooter thangs".)

I love that description.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 am

DickO wrote:

And "CJ"... could we watch the salty phrases ? ? ? I'm no prude but this is hardly the place for such things.

Point taken DickO.

Sorry if you were offended.

Tim
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:08 am

eggster34 wrote:
Hi there, I have a '04 silverwing with 12.000 miles (just had a service where the brake fluid, air filter, spark plugs etc. were changed etc.)
10-15 miles after the service the ABS light started blinking and the ABS system stopped working. The stealership says they need to change the ABS ECU , but I'm sure it's something much more simpler than this. Has anyone experienced the same issue? What would be your suggestions to diagnose the cause of the problem?

I just ordered my stainless steel speed bleeders from http://speedbleeder.zoovy.com/category/stainlesssteel. There is a non-stainless steel version which is cheaper.

3 - SB8125L Stainless Steel speed bleeders
1 - Speed Bleeder Bag & Hose Combo
1 - Sealant ( http://speedbleeder.zoovy.com/category )

It may help quickly remove any air bubbles from the system and make it much easier for you to change yourself in the future.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks "CJ"... that was very kind response.
Back to top Go down
eggster34
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 pm

the issue was with the abs sensor on the front wheel, I got it fixed pretty quickly and everything's back to normal. thanks!
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 5:18 am

Told you I had no real clue.

Glad it was a quick fix.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:28 am

eggster34 wrote:
the issue was with the abs sensor on the front wheel, I got it fixed pretty quickly and everything's back to normal.!

Thanks for letting us know ... I am sure that this will help someone in the future.

Was the ABS sensor "bumped" during service or was the front wheel removed?
Back to top Go down
eggster34
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 pm

neither, I'd ridden it for a while after service and everything was ok, then I didn't ride the bike for a few days and then the next time I got on it the abs light lit up so I'm not sure what caused it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working   ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABS Light Flashing / ABS Not Working
Page 1 of 1