Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Broken fixings on fairing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
RiverSong77
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2021-09-17

Broken fixings on fairing Empty
PostSubject: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 7:38 pm

Howdy all ..
2007 Swing 600 in Brisbane, Australia ..
Wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue they’ve had to deal with ..
Returning from a ride recently, I noticed that the fairing was coming away on the front left from the screen to about halfway down ..
It wasn’t flapping in the breeze or anything as dramatic as that, it had just opened up a bit of a gap that I felt needed to be closed again ..
I opened it up in an attempt to find and rectify the cause, only to find that the screw fixtures attached to the inside of the fairing down the left side had all sheered away from the fairing to varying degrees and were essentially irreparable ..
Now, as a plastics fabricator, I’m a great woodworker !
Obviously, something had to be done, so I ended up drilling a small hole in what was left of the plastic bracket on the fairing, and using a reasonably small gauge wire, fabricated a VERY amateurish loop arrangement that I could pull back through the screw holes to tighten the screws up against.
The “fix” has worked in so far as the fairing has pulled back into position and is staying there (for now), but I know it’s not a long-term repair and will become messy whenever the fairing is next removed.
Finding replacement used panels here in Brisbane is not really a happening thing, and I’m sure that trying to order new replacement fairings would be a long drawn out, (and I expect, very costly) process !
Has anyone else had to face this issue, and if so, short of replacing the entire fairing, how did you effect a repair that is more permanent and allows for easy removal and refitting of the fairing later on ?
Would be most appreciative of any helpful advise from this fine family of “Swing’ers” !
Cheers,
Andy
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 8:21 pm

Hello Andy. It might help if we could “see” the area you are talking about. As impossible as it probably is at this point, if you could post a photo…

Also, we just corralled a lot of earlier discussions about plastic repair in Maintenance, Tips, and Hints under the subject title “Tupperware Repair”. Do a Search for that. You’ll find quite a few opinions and probably find a few viable answers too.

But do keep up informed how you sort this out.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 8:55 pm

I had some similar issues with my SilverWing, I believe the PO only had a prybar but no screwdrivers, and the panels were glued back on with silicone caulk. I'm not kidding! So I got pretty handy at rebuilding the tabs and screw fixings. I used a Permatex Plastic Welder two part epoxy, which bonds super-well onto the ABS that the panels are made from.
Back to top Go down
RiverSong77
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 11:43 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Hello Andy. It might help if we could “see” the area you are talking about. As impossible as it probably is at this point, if you could post a photo…

Also, we just corralled a lot of earlier discussions about plastic repair in Maintenance, Tips, and Hints under the subject title “Tupperware Repair”. Do a Search for that. You’ll find quite a few opinions and probably find a few viable answers too.

But do keep up informed how you sort this out.

Thanks for that mate, I’ll check that out first and then see where we go from there 👍
Back to top Go down
RiverSong77
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2022 11:48 pm

Terry Smith wrote:
I had some similar issues with my SilverWing, I believe the PO only had a prybar but no screwdrivers, and the panels were glued back on with silicone caulk. I'm not kidding! So I got pretty handy at rebuilding the tabs and screw fixings. I used a Permatex Plastic Welder two part epoxy, which bonds super-well onto the ABS that the panels are made from.

Thanks for that .. The original tabs were pretty much perished beyond salvation and crumbled away to basically dust and shrapnel when I removed the screws .. I may have to try to fabricate new tabs and try the Permatex epoxy solution (whilst standing on my ear and holding my mouth just right) .. It’s certainly a fiddly job, particularly when arthritic hands don’t like to play nice when it comes to small things in awkward places !
Appreciate the thought .. I’ll keep formulating plans including all the helpful suggestions ..
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 12:48 am

Hey Brother,

My front fairing is held together with cable ties, wood blocks and super glue. As is many others. It's not as bad as it sounds. It's tight and rattle free.

A new one, in my color, is still available, it's about 400 bucks. I may or may not go that route. I do plan a color change in the not too distant future. Considering rebuilding broken connectors at that point. I also found new blinker lenses at AliExpress, and mine are clouded and greenish. So I may snag some of those.

I am thinking if I pull all the parts, prep them for paint, then take them to my favorite auto paint place it might be less than $500 to shoot them all.
Back to top Go down
RiverSong77
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2022 11:02 am

The Dude wrote:
Hey Brother,

My front fairing is held together with cable ties, wood blocks and super glue. As is many others. It's not as bad as it sounds. It's tight and rattle free.

A new one, in my color, is still available, it's about 400 bucks. I may or may not go that route. I do plan a color change in the not too distant future. Considering rebuilding broken connectors at that point. I also found new blinker lenses at AliExpress, and mine are clouded and greenish. So I may snag some of those.

I am thinking if I pull all the parts, prep them for paint, then take them to my favorite auto paint place it might be less than $500 to shoot them all.

Sounds like a bargain priced fix !
I expect parts are more readily available and in greater numbers in the US than they are over here in Australia .. Nonetheless, I’ll keep working on a solution, I’m not gonna let it beat me ! .. Thanks to you guys on this site, I’ve got some great suggestions and ideas so IT will happen !
Thanks again …
Back to top Go down
Dutch SilverWing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dutch SilverWing

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2020-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2022 6:03 am

RiverSong77 wrote:

I expect parts are more readily available and in greater numbers in the US than they are over here in Australia .. Nonetheless, I’ll keep working on a solution, I’m not gonna let it beat me ! .. Thanks to you guys on this site, I’ve got some great suggestions and ideas so IT will happen !
Thanks again …

Hello Riversong77

Maybe a long shot but I may have something to help you with your search.
Okay, then some bridges would have to be crossed.
Or actually a few Oceans.

Overhere in the Netherlands there is a company, CMSNL.com, and they still have OEM parts for our beloved SiWis.

Through a worldwide network and contacts with the factories in Japan, they provide genuine parts. Always take a good look at the year of manufacture and to which part of the world your Silver Wing applies. FJS [Europe], FSC [US] and JDM [Asia]

They ship the goods worldwide and for Australia the free shipping of goods applies from an order amount of € 200. I checked for you.

You might want to check their website, who knows. https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-fjs600_model1208/

Best of luck with your search
Back to top Go down
RiverSong77
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2022 9:19 am

Hi Dutch Silver Wing ..
Many thanks for passing on this information and for the research you’ve done.
Sadly, my SW is no longer MY SW !
An opportunity came up for me to buy my friends’ Triumph Bonneville T100 at a price I just couldn’t refuse, and as I couldn’t keep both, the Honda had to go ..
I originally bought the S/Wing due to nerve damage in my legs and a feet forward automatic was ideal for me at that stage of my recuperation .. Strength has returned to some degree, and as I have always been a Triumph guy, and given the lightness and beautiful riding position of the Bonnie, it was a no brainer for me to return to the Triumph fold !
Having said that, I enjoyed my time on the Silver Wing very much, and have sold it to a lovely chap with similar physical issues to those I had when I bought the Honda.
I will pass this information on to him, I’m sure he’ll be most appreciative !
Thanks again for your thoughtfulness ..
Cheers,
AJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Broken fixings on fairing   Broken fixings on fairing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Broken fixings on fairing
Page 1 of 1