Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» checking the oil
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:08 am

» LF extended back rest
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Got one of these (Back Rest)

Go down 
+6
Kags1969
BrianInVA
AldusFran
Mech 1 twa
GHM-PM
The Dude
10 posters
AuthorMessage
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2022-02-21

Got one of these (Back Rest) Empty
PostSubject: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2022 9:44 pm

Got this off Ebay. I had some issues with quality. The mounting holes wete not centered, and some didn't line up. Requiring me to drill them out. 

Other than that, wow! What a difference. Much more comfortable.

Got one of these (Back Rest) 20220332
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2561
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2022 12:22 pm

Nice! I bought one of those back in 2012 and still love it!!! Off eBay too.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2022 7:24 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Nice! I bought one of those back in 2012 and still love it!!! Off eBay too.

YES! The OEM way I felt like the "butt pad" was pushing me off the front of the seat. This is much more comfortable!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2022 10:44 pm

Same one I have and much more leg room, quality part never had a problem in 30K miles. I have it angled a bit by using longer bolts at top and about 1/4 inch spacer so it's more vertical.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2022 7:12 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Same one I have and much more leg room, quality part never had a problem in 30K miles. I have it angled a bit by using longer bolts at top and about 1/4 inch spacer so it's more vertical.

Thanks for the input. You are correct! The back needs to be angled up a bit for better comfort. I'm gonna do that tomorrow. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2022 1:12 am

This is cool. So on my backrest bracket, the holes didn't line up very well and were a bit off center. Drilling out one hole fixed part of the problem, but the off center part was not really fixable.

I called, but never did get to speak to Jac, the guy who makes them, but left a message for him to call. I missed his call back, but it turns out, he already sent me a replacement!

The new one I got is perfect! I will be able to try the other mounting options as the holes line up way better on this one.

Anyway, very responsive and GREAT customer service. He also sent me a "O-Ring" you can use on your throttle, to provide a little friction and act as a crude "cruise control" for long rides. Very nice. Great service. Highly recommended. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2015-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2022 3:45 pm

I'm not a fan of driver's back rest; so I automatically remove them from my Silverwings (4) after purchase. Being at 5'8" I'm satisfied with the seat as is minus back rest.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2022 12:40 am

AldusFran wrote:
I'm not a fan of driver's back rest; so I automatically remove them from my Silverwings (4) after purchase. Being at 5'8" I'm satisfied with the seat as is minus back rest.

Do you mean removing the back rest cushion altogether? Yes, I did that initially and found it far more comfortable than with. Gave me more room and a wider area for my wider posterior. Laughing
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2022-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 3:22 am

Dude wrote:
Got this off Ebay. I had some issues with quality. The mounting holes wete not centered, and some didn't line up. Requiring me to drill them out. 

Has anyone else had trouble with the welds on one of these eBay back rest kits recommended on this thread?

The welds on mine were a bit sloppy but I didn’t think much of it. I assembled mine today, installed it, and tried it out. As soon I did the weld at the base of the back rest, where it meets the vertical part, snapped right off.

I texted a very polite non confrontational message to the maker Jac of what happened, as well as photos, and received a … less than satisfactory reply. He has not responded further. Got one of these (Back Rest) Ae9c1510Got one of these (Back Rest) F6614c10
Got one of these (Back Rest) 4f157310

Last edited by BrianInVA on Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 3:44 am

Maybe (hopefully?) I just missed an attempt at humor on his part…
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 6:15 am

BrianInVA wrote:
Maybe (hopefully?) I just missed an attempt at humor on his part…

That's interesting. I called Jac while installing mine and just left a message about the holes in mine not being completely centered, making it very difficult to use the "alternative" installation option. I just asked that he call me back.

He called back, but I missed the call and I don't recall him leaving a message. I was then notified through Ebay of a shipment.

Sure enough, he sent me a new one that was perfect, along with one of his O-ring cruise control devices. He said I should like this one better, and indeed I did.

Since I decided to just keep the standard setup, and had already drilled out the hole on it. I still have not installed the replacement. I may use it on my Reflex since it uses the same model.

I am sure Jac will take care of you.

However, as far as "leaning back", I would be careful of putting your full weight on one of these backrests. They are flexible, but I could certainly bend or break mine if I applied enough pressure. It's a back rest, but isn't intended to support your full weight. JMHO
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 12:31 pm

He got back to me this morning. It was indeed a defective weld/design:Got one of these (Back Rest) 97af9a10
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 12:52 pm

Great company to deal with. Too bad there isn't a model for my Forza. Would snap one up.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 8:24 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Great company to deal with. Too bad there isn't a model for my Forza. Would snap one up.

The same model works on my Reflex.(NSS250). Not sure why it wouldn't fit a Forza. 🤔
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 10:00 pm

The Dude wrote:
GHM-PM wrote:

The same model works on my Reflex.(NSS250). Not sure why it wouldn't fit a Forza. 🤔

Seat/mount is totally different. See my minor mod in the Forza section Sad
Back to top Go down
BrianInVA
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
BrianInVA

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2022 1:40 pm

I got another note from the eBay account of the guy who made the back rest kit. I asked if I needed to send the one that broke back. He replied:,

“No  we are sending you a new, Redesigned unit after multiple failures of the current model. Sorry for your hassle!!”

So I’m not the only one who had trouble with this weld, apparently.
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 3:18 am

BrianInVA wrote:
I got another note from the eBay account of the guy who made the back rest kit. I asked if I needed to send the one that broke back. He replied:,

“No  we are sending you a new, Redesigned unit after multiple failures of the current model. Sorry for your hassle!!”

So I’m not the only one who had trouble with this weld, apparently.

Jac may be a bit disorganized as that "model" I think was just what came out when he lost his best welder to a broken arm, and some units made it out that were sub par. Jac also mentioned a new helper who ground down some of the welds too far. Apparently some units made it out regardless.

And it seems Jac can be a bit cantankerous at times. I read through some of the responses to dumb (one guy complained because he didn't get a seat with his) reviews on Ebay. Laughing

However, Jac does seem to own up to any real quality issues and goes beyond to make it right. I doubt he's rolling in riches cranking these things out, so I am glad they are still available. Competitive models are north of $200.

Hopefully, he'll go through his inventory and 86 any substandard units that got missed, because he certainly isn't making anything on the ones he has to replace.

I barely deal with Ebay any more because you are not left with much after they whittle away your profits.

JMHO and YMMV.
Back to top Go down
Kags1969
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2022-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 4:35 am

I am looking for one of these and cant find any on ebay, is he still selling these?
Back to top Go down
The Dude
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
The Dude

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2022 6:42 pm

Kags1969 wrote:
I am looking for one of these and cant find any on ebay, is he still selling these?

Looks like Jac has hung up his welding torch. Or is taking a break?

Ebay wrote:
"ezntexas (1597) No longer a registered user
74.1% positive feedback"
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2022-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 8:10 pm

AldusFran wrote:

Hello @AldusFran,
Would you, or anyone else, be interested in selling Just the original lower L shaped brackets, with the slide adjustable holes?
Thanks,
Tom
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2022 8:14 pm

Anyone willing to part with the ( above ⬆ ) stock slide adjustable L shaped brackets can contact me at
kneedtospeed@aol.com
Thanks!
Tom
Back to top Go down
kiwistopher
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2023-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 4:25 am

The Dude wrote:

Does the large "half moon" shape lift out, so a passenger can easily mount bike?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 12:44 pm

Got one of these (Back Rest) 20220332[/quote]

Does the large "half moon" shape lift out, so a passenger can easily mount bike?[/quote]

I only rode double on mine once using this conversion and no my passenger could not mount very well so I just removed it and reinstalled when riding solo. It takes maybe 5 minutes to remove.
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Driver Back Rests   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 4:40 pm

I have chronic back pain issues, and multiple surgeries, so here are the rests I use for Solo, and Two Up riding.
The taller, narrow setup allows plenty of comfortable room, and easy on/off for my Girl.
The wider stock Honda pad is raised, and best for riding Solo.
It’s a quick swap, and adjustable, using just 2 Thumb Screws, under the seat base.

Last edited by Kneedtospeed on Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 7:09 pm

Got one of these (Back Rest) Ff153b10
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 7:11 pm

Got one of these (Back Rest) C0786b10
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 7:14 pm

Your narrow backrest look good. What did you use for the pad?
Back to top Go down
Kneedtospeed
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2023 7:21 pm

Thanks!
3/4” Plywood , and dual high density foam.
Spring steel uprights, to spare stock lower brackets.
Had a friend make me a velcro’d cover.Got one of these (Back Rest) 5a38bf10
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2023 2:38 pm

Well done
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got one of these (Back Rest)   Got one of these (Back Rest) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got one of these (Back Rest)
Page 1 of 1