Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 8:05 pm

» What were they thinking?
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby cotetoi Yesterday at 7:49 pm

» Earth cable stress
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 7:29 pm

» Happy St. Patricks Day!
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 5:11 pm

» Hello from Ontario, Canada
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby PerryH Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

» LED Headlights
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:52 am

» Cylinder Head Replacement
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby 95konig Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm

» Cooling fan still running
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm

» March 2024 Forum Picture
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

» Hyperpro Fork Springs
Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:31 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drivers backrest

Go down 
+19
gary c
"Hi Yo"
Kenjj50
Avmott74
cerve137
SmoothSailing
AldusFran
MikeO
roders
Cosmic_Jumper
Harvmeister
vmaximus
Meldrew
DanB
exavid
john grinsel
model28a
oldgwingguy
mlapoint
23 posters
AuthorMessage
mlapoint
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2015-05-04

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 5:21 am

I am looking at putting a driver's backrest on my SW. I saw a site that shows how to spend like $3 to raise the stock piece up like 4 in. or so. Has anyone tried this? If so, how do you like it? I am on a budget, so this fits in real well. ☺
Back to top Go down
mlapoint
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 5:22 am

Here's the site: http://leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 11:15 am

I like that, thanks I'll do the normal backrest adjustment first and if I don't like the results I'll try this route, at least there is no cutting involved, BTDT with Utopia.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 5:01 pm

mlapoint four or five of us in the group I ride with have the Leroy backrest mod and we all like them. I did do one thing different than Leroy did. Where Leroy uses bolts and nuts for mounting the OEM bracket to the homemade bracket I used a tap and threaded the homemade bracket. Then after bolting the OEM bracket to the homemade bracket I ground the bolts flush. That way I didn't have any nuts rubbing my butt and no need for any extra padding.  
I mounted a Utopia backrest on one of my Silverwings and I do like it but it was given to me for free. I would never spend $200 for a Utopia backrest for a Silverwing because I think the Leroy backrest mod works great for the Silverwing. I had a Utopia backrest on my Burgman 400 and my Morphous and I think they were the best backrest available for them.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 6:58 pm

Roger good idea I have drills taps and dies to do the job that way.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3290
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Based on 25 years of riding modern maxi-scooters.....if backrest I really needed, Utopia is the one that really works----I have tried probably every one that is available. Most really wack you in the back in ruff conditions. Point two=bikes/scooters are not meant to be ridden leaning back.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 11:35 pm

It's interesting how different bikes fit one. My 1500 Goldwing bothered my back until I put a plug in Utopia backrest for it. Worked a wonder for me. When I went to a GL1800 the stock seat provided enough support that I didn't need a backrest. So far on my BMW C650GT I'm getting along pretty well without a backrest.
As far as backrests go I don't think there's anything better than a Utopia. Not only is it a quality product the folks at Utopia are very good people to deal with. When I first ordered my removable Utopia they called me and asked me if I was sure I needed the more expensive one instead of lesser cost fixed backrest. I told them I needed the removable one because I wanted to be able to pull it out when riding two up. I thought it was very considerate of them to make sure I wanted to spend the extra money before filling my order.
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 7:56 am

I'm with John and Paul on no backrest needed for me too especially with a Russell seat. The previous owner of my B650 did the butt stop mod and converted to back from rest. Makes it very tight for my wife to ride 2up and she's a tiny gal. Also, it's not very comfortable on long rides as it hits my back in a way that kinda digs in. Never tried a Utopia and never had a backrest on my Goldwings either. Perhaps back rests are a bit over rated.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4169
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 8:31 am

I had a Utopia on my Helix and very comfortable it was on long rides and useful to route bungee cords for securing luggage too. Over eleven years and four maxi scooters later I haven't felt the need to fit another backrest or convert the butt stop.

I've found wearing a fairly rigid Knox full back protector or even an armoured back pad fitted into one of my bike jackets gives my back firm support in the FF riding position and I'm never uncomfortable even after an all day ride. Although I'm now favouring the softer more comfortable D3O back protector as fitted in my Klim Overland jacket.

Strapping a loaded Ortlieb bag to the front of the passenger seat works as a freebie backrest too.
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Drivers Backrest   Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 10:57 am

Who said that motorcycles /scooters are not meant to be ridden leaning backwards, surely it is up to the individual rider to determine which ever position is most comfortable to them, clothing being worn or distance to travel. I have had bikes since I was 15 from a 60's Arial Arrow with low ace bars then ape hangers, Brit bikes either standard or café racer style through to sports bikes large capacity muscle bikes and  each one has had a different riding position. Now I ride a 2008 S/wing and a Sym maxsym 400 I. I tried the Leroy Beale mod but although I found it reasonably comfortable I could not say the same for the pillion rider so i built a drivers back rest for the S/wing out of a Vauxhall Astra front head restraint which tilts forward for easy access for the good lady pillion rider, it is also adjustable so that it is more accommodating depending what clothes you wear. All in all I find this back rest mod was very cheap to build, comfortable and would not be without it. This one was the first I built and was mostly guess work and the 8mm round bar was bent free hand, the welding could be better but it serves its purpose and I am very pleased with the outcome.[url=https://servimg.com/view/18281373/8]Drivers backrest  20150517[/url
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 3:52 pm

Looks good! It still gripes me that Honda doesn't sell the fairing wind deflectors in the US. I don't really need them anymore since the GT fairing pretty well keeps the legs dry but don't understand why it would have been a bother for Honda to list them for sale in the US for the SW.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 4:37 pm

It's well known on here that can order a set of wind detectors from any UK Honda motorcycle dealer that does online sales, some forum members in the US have already done so from Honda Chiswick and been happy with them. I've also read a few grumbles about the additional cost of importing a set from the UK, but if you want a set that's what you have to do.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 11:56 pm

My point is why Honda would offer different accessories on opposite sides of the pond. There doesn't seem to be anything inherent in these parts that would make them more suitable in the UK than the US and Canada. One would think that any part that fit the Silverwing would be available where ever the scooter is sold.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2015 3:06 am

Honda Powersports in the US offer a far greater range of motorcycle accessories than Honda UK. There's something like 250 pages of stuff in their online catalogue, I found it very slow to navigate and gave up trying to find out what was available for scooters.

The range of accessories offered by Honda UK seems very limited in comparison,  and they currently offer little for the Silver Wing . A couple of covers, the top box that belongs on the SW-T 600, inner bags, a U lock and not much else. When I ordered my Silver Wing in 2010, the wind deflectors, heated grips, 40 litre top box, arm rests, alarms, the Honda sat nav, and lots of other stuff was available.

Back to top Go down
mlapoint
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 2:32 pm

OK, I put the above mentioned backrest on and it feels like it will do the trick for me. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how... ☺
Back to top Go down
mlapoint
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Ok, I believe I figured out how to post pictures.  The problem was on my tablet.  There it didn't have all of the icons...
Attachments
Drivers backrest  AttachmentDriver's Backrest Rear - sm.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(99 Kb) Downloaded 97 times
Drivers backrest  AttachmentDriver's Backrest Front - sm.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(90 Kb) Downloaded 87 times
Back to top Go down
Harvmeister
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2015-07-28

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Any info on the Driver's Backrest in the Forum Masthead?   Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Driver's Backrest in the Forum Masthead / home page?

Looks a bit like the Utopia, but with a pouch behind it?

Is this a commercial product? If so, where can i get one?

many thanks,

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 6:23 pm

Utopia's website: http://www.utpr.com/silverwingnew.html
Back to top Go down
roders
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-05-22

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Removing butt pad    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Have any of you just removed the butt pad and ridden without it? Mine seems to be adjusted as far back as it can be, but because I come from a long line of big assed people it seems to keep me a bit to far forward. So I was wondering if removing it is a viable solution. I doubt I will ever have a full sized adult riding behind me. The wife does not like bikes much since she got her mustang convertible. Your experiences?
Back to top Go down
Harvmeister
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks to Cosmic_Jumper...

I noticed on the Utopia site that they have a removable backrest that mounts an inch or two BEHIND the stockrest.

This would give me some much needed extra legroom on my new SWing.

What do you think orders?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3780
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 5:33 am

The Utopia Backrest has an adjustment screw to move/tilt the upright and pad forwards and backwards.

It's a lovely piece of kit - I had one on my 'Belgian' Silverwing - but do read the blurb.
The bumstop has to be fixed in its rearward position and the whole kit is very heavy so the stock seat prop isn't strong enough to hold the seat open.
The supports under the seat reduce the storage space, too.
Inevitably, it restricts the pillion space.

Now I find the Bikers' Friend rigid bag more satisfactory, especially since I very rarely, if ever, carry a passenger but don't be put off the Utopia offering - it really is very good.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Having purchased at least 9 new maxi-scooter since 1990----If you need or think you need a backrest Utopia is the only one that works----but as mentioned above, it is heavy and based on purchase of 3 or 4 of these backrests,, can limit passenger space or luggage space. My current 2013 SilverWing does not have one. Recommendation: Ride more get in better shape,lean forward.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: I remove all front backrests on my bikes. Don't like confinements   Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 11:39 am

roders wrote:
Have any of you just removed the butt pad and ridden without it? Mine seems to be adjusted as far back as it can be, but because I come from a long line of big assed people it seems to keep me a bit to far forward. So I was wondering if removing it is a viable solution. I doubt I will ever have a full sized adult riding behind me. The wife does not like bikes much since she got her mustang convertible. Your experiences?
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2015-06-13

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 11:45 am

Sometimes on long rides I'll sit on passenger pillion to give my back a little stretch. Since I'm 150 lbs. and 5'8" tall the Silver Wing seat fits me fine for 500-600 mile days. Well done Honda.
Back to top Go down
SmoothSailing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SmoothSailing

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-07-13

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi all,

Took my new Silver Wing out and drove for a good 6 hours, but had some bad back pain (old injury ) toward the end, so I need to get a driver's backrest.

Option #1
I like this mod: http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html

Option #2
And am considering a cushion on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Reflex-Silver-Wing-silverwing-Drivers-Driver-Backrest-back-rest-seat-/252056872489?hash=item3aafc2a629&vxp=mtr

Option #3
But probably not the Utopia brand, though it looks good : http://www.utpr.com/silverwingnew.html - $200, yikes.

So my question is: any ideas how to do Option #1 mod with the custom brackets for someone who doesn't have much in the way of tools or mechanical experience? Maybe something I can order on McMaster? Does anyone sell a kit? Or does anyone have the brackets that they want to sell me?

Thanks all! Otherwise, I'll probably go with Option #2.

-Cathy
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 4:40 pm

One has to make one's own choice but the Utopia alternative is not expensive for what it is.

Although I haven't bought another one, having found something that better suits my needs, I wouldn't hesitate to buy something of the quality of the Utopia at that price.
Back to top Go down
cerve137
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 5:02 pm

Utopia. period. bottom line. worth every penny and actually has resale value. you won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
SmoothSailing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SmoothSailing

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2015-07-13

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks all. Another concern about Utopia is that stock pad must be in rear position and will no longer be adjustable. I'm 5' 6" and am concerned about the reach being too far. Not sure if anyone has comments/experience on that.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Again Utopia-----pad is adjustable with set screw. I tried various back rest over the years. Remember silverwing seat pad is adjustable. Bottom Line: feet forward riding position can be hard on spine.
Back to top Go down
Avmott74
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Avmott74

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2015-08-09

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Well, I'm 5'11 250 and I didn't realize the stock butt rest was adjustable. The previous owner was shorter and had moved it up. Didn't bother to tell me. I adjusted it all the way back and gained almost 3" more seat, but even all the way back it was still couldn't sit comfortably so I went ahead and just removed it and it's perfect. I'm going to customize the brackets on the butt rest so I can still use mounts on the seat and turn it into a an adjustable backrest.
Well the backrest is perfect. Using the same brackets. Just remove the brackets, take a hammer and flatten them out. (Make sure to put them on the side and tap with your hammer to straighten out the C channel shape of the brackets because when you pound it flat it can get flared out a bit and won't slide nicely back into the seat mounts)
Now put the bracket in a vice with the adjustable holes down in the vice. Go about a 1\4" past the last hole, then bend it over with your hammer to a 90° angle. ( keep in mind when you bend it that the bracket is shaped where it only slides in the mounts open side down)
Now you have an L shape, mark a line about a 1" below the 2 screw holes that attach to your now backrest. Slightly bend at that Mark inward about 20°-30° that puts a slight angle on your backrest so it fits comfortably against your lower back. Basically the same angle as the passenger seat rest.. Attach the brackets to the backrest using the same bolts and slide it in to the mounts. Lift the seat and put the 2 Hex head bolts back in and you can still adjust it back and forth to your liking. You may have to tweak the angle of backrest a bit for a perfect fit. I did it in about 15 min.
Back to top Go down
Harvmeister
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest   Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:39 pm

Sounds good Avmott74. Could you post a picture or two?
Back to top Go down
Avmott74
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Avmott74

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2015-08-09

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Yeah I'm trying.. Doesn't seem to be working from my phone. I'll try later from my laptop.    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:52 pm

Harvmeister wrote:
Sounds good Avmott74.  Could you post a picture or two?
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:04 pm

I just completed the Leroy Beal butt-rest-to-back-rest modification for my 2002 Swing. This mod raised the top of the driver butt rest 4 1/2 inches and gives me 1 1/2 inches of extra room in the saddle. I made the ten degree bend in the fabricated steel that Leroy had recommended. It makes the back rest more perpendicular to the saddle. This works for me as I don't really lean back when I ride. The conversion cost me about $15. The shortest 1/4 x 1-inch bar steel I could buy was 4 feet long. The conversion only requires two 6-inch pieces so I have steel left over. I used 1/4 x 3/4-inch, stainless steel, round head bolts and lock nuts to put it together. The cost includes a spray can of Rustoleum black enamel to paint the pieces. I have a lot of that left over too! The Beal mod feels right. I like the extra length in the saddle. I plan to take it for a spin on Wednesday to do my own field test.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Drivers backrest  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:32 pm

Kenji50,

There's no such thing as too much steel, just opportunities for more projects. With the left over steel, you could build a real classy variator removal tool.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2015-09-21

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: drivers backrest   Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Cathy ( smoothsailing ) did you decide to go with option 2. Any feedback is appreciated.   Gary
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: back rest   Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Can't find a listing for the3brothers backrest anymore. There is a similar backrest on e bay but the shipping cost is almost as much as the product ( 67 cdn) The old listing for the " brothers" was only 7 dollars cdn shipping-and just when the money got into my paypal acct. And i was hyped too!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 12:40 pm

I put a padded piece of 3/8 in plywood that raised my original butt rest up about 3 inches. It looks great was not hard to make inexpensive etc. Works for me. If i could post a picture, I would do it but have not been successful in doing so. It measures about 8 inches wide and 9 inches tall.
Back to top Go down
gary c
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: drivers backrest   Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 4:53 pm

A utopia backrest is on its way.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 9:49 pm

The Three Brothers Back Rest is the same design
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 4:27 am

I made my backrest (as it was described on here) 5 years ago, out of 2 lengths of iron from a hanging bascket bracket it cost me £2. Why anyone needs to spend a lot of money by not making one themselves is beyond me Shocked
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 6:26 am

I imported a Utopia backrest for my Helix many years ago and very good it was too. Nowadays I think it wouldn't be too difficult to make a home made version using the backrest from one of those wheeled office stools because the Utopia backrest looked very similar.

There was a US company selling backrests for 650 Burgmans and other scooters that were just modified headrests from Isuzu 4x4’s, so it would be easy enough to find something similar at a scrap or breakers yard or eBay that would do the job.

For me a packed Ortlieb bag strapped on the pillion seat work as good as any permanent backrest. The cost is zilch as I've had the bags since my BMW days, an Ortlieb bag takes very little time to strap on and off, and can be secured to the seat with a Pacsafe net and locks, more stuff I bought years ago. Touring mode on long motorway/autobahn stretches is about the only time I need a backrest so temporary using kit I already have works better for me.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 12:31 pm

Old Limey wrote:
Why anyone needs to spend a lot of money by not making one themselves  is beyond me Shocked

Don't be so dismissive; some people simply don't have the right skills or aptitude for fabricating bits and pieces for their scooters.
I have, to a degree, but no longer have a workshop in which to do it.....so I don't.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Old Limey wrote: Why anyone needs to spend a lot of money by not making one themselves  is beyond me

Another reason is the value of our time.  Don't know about you, but time is my most precious resource.

I'd have to find a set of plans, go to a metal stock supplier, and make the piece.  I figure a couple of hours, easily.  Making roughly 80USD an hour, that's $160 invested (without materials).  

And, I value my free time even more than my hourly wage, so figure $240 for the two hours (overtime rate), plus, say, $10 for materials.  I spent $50 or so for my bike's backrest.

So, why on earth would I invest $240 of my time plus materials for something I can buy for $50?

P.S. This calculus would also hold true for somebody making $20/hr ($30 OT). There is value of pleasure in making something yourself, but that would have to be offset--in my case at least--in buying needed tools and the time needed to acquire the metalworking skills.

Last edited by Bash On! on Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 1:16 pm

As I told you it cost me £2 I think that is less than $4. Time, it took about an hour. I like your name "Bash on" I wonder if it means the same in America as it does in England?, probably.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Old Limey wrote:
As I told you it cost me £2 I think that is less than $4. Time, it took about an hour.  I like your name "Bash on" I wonder if it means the same in America as it does in England?, probably.

Thanks; the term "Bash On" is not used in U.S. English, so I'm borrowing the English English usage!

If it took you an hour, it would take me at least two, as I'm all thumbs mechanically!
Back to top Go down
BatesMark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-09-08

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2016 9:32 am

vmaximus wrote:
Who said that motorcycles /scooters are not meant to be ridden leaning backwards, surely it is up to the individual rider to determine which ever position is most comfortable to them, clothing being worn or distance to travel. I have had bikes since I was 15 from a 60's Arial Arrow with low ace bars then ape hangers, Brit bikes either standard or café racer style through to sports bikes large capacity muscle bikes and  each one has had a different riding position. Now I ride a 2008 S/wing and a Sym maxsym 400 I. I tried the Leroy Beale mod but although I found it reasonably comfortable I could not say the same for the pillion rider so i built a drivers back rest for the S/wing out of a Vauxhall Astra front head restraint which tilts forward for easy access for the good lady pillion rider, it is also adjustable so that it is more accommodating depending what clothes you wear. All in all I find this back rest mod was very cheap to build, comfortable and would not be without it. This one was the first I built and was mostly guess work and the 8mm round bar was bent free hand, the welding could be better but it serves its purpose and I am very pleased with the outcome.[url=https://servimg.com/view/18281373/8]Drivers backrest  20150517[/url

Out of all of the backrest mods, I like this one best.  Vmaximus, have you posted anywhere exactly how you did this?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drivers backrest  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drivers backrest    Drivers backrest  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Drivers backrest
Page 1 of 1