Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 Empty
PostSubject: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 3:26 pm

Thinking of changing mind on selection of new bike/scooter. Thought I wanted Super Cub 125 2022 ABS, however US models come with no side stand or luggage or front basket=means hunting for accessories...I liked C-90 and CS 90s I had in Japan---chain cases nice. But right now Super Cub is a little slow for really safe N American use. So am thinking of PCX 160 scooter, Maybe performance equal is Helix---68 MPH, nice to ride, buffeting regardless of windshield, had 4 new ones--175,000 miles---they were fairly reliable, easy to work on----So PCX 160 can be made rideable with stuff I already have on hand----Slip Stream Blade Shield mounted in handlebars would put tip is shield close to nose Old time Easting style....maybe providing buffet free ride down on the road, my Givi hump bag held on by Velcro would work for long trips, Somehow I could bolt my Bestem Box (for Dog) on rear wing, gas tank is big enough, although I do not like working with Honda plastics I think I can figure almost easy way to adjust valves, gas tank big enough, dry underseat storage nice for papers/tools/tire pump and fix flat kit,spare belt, warranty nice, rubber bag on passenger seat....and ready for trips, only one I am thinking about for summer/fall---return to Hyder AK thru Canada---should really camp...travel getting expensive. If I like and plan to trade next year---could get 10-11 month dry street use in Wisconson and screw salt damage and just trade
Remember old, never ride anything you cannot pick up alone!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 pm

What's with this "tip of shield close to nose' business that you've mentioned in numerous past posts.

Just out of curiosity I sat on the seat of my Forza earlier this evening wearing my Schuberth E1 helmet and seated in my normal riding position. Then using a 40” aluminium ruler measured the distance from the front of my helmet to the top edge of the shield/screen.

The front of my helmet was 22” away from the top of the Forza's Givi screen which I'd set at maximum height when out riding earlier in the day.

So why you want a screen/shield near enough to your nose to be practically licking it is a mystery to me.  scratch
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2022 7:48 pm

12 inches or less great for quiet zone----try big frame Vespa with proper look over windshield, can be quiet and buffet free, period.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 6:13 am

I still don't see it, I had quite a few different handlebar screens during by biking years and while they offered some wind and weather protection, the downside was they could be problematic when overtaking big articulated vehicles.

That bow wave of turbulent air pushed out by the artic pressing on the screen meant you had to have a good hold on the handlebars as you rode past.

I still have a National Cycle Plexifairing handlebar mounted screen taking up space in my shed. It's a better design than most, and gives good hand and upper hand protection.

As for Vespa scooters, like all Trad scooters I've never had the slightest interest in owning one, or even hiring one on holidays in 🇮🇹 Italy.  My old Dad had a couple of two- stroke Vespas in the early Sixties he was always tinkering with.

He'd rev the engine and our TV and our neighbours TV's would have interference.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2022 10:00 am

So did you get a PCX John? If so we want a review! My Liberty is still going strong but the PCX would be a replacement for the Liberty.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 7:50 am

I have been tied up with healing from right foot operation and cannot drive safely-----will go out to local Honda dealer and check when if get out of this ridge plastic boot. Last time I checked they have expensive additions to reg price.....Not good for them long term in my view. Price/ value is important to me.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 10:05 am

I hate when anyone takes advantage of a situation. I understand some cost going up but when you start adding greedy charges on that's another thing. My feeling is if they pull that crap when you buy it they'll try it when you bring it in for service. I've yet to ask the Out The Door price on a Monkey bike at my Honda dealer but that will be a good indicator if my local Honda dealer is pulling that stunt. Many things right now that's going against a 2 wheel buyer right now:
Covid still terrorizing some countries.
Lack of willing workers.
Gas prices being unstable.
Buyers WILLING to pay more.
Parts supply shortages.
I'm sure I'm forgetting something.....
Oh, and hope you heal up John! I hear kicking cats speeds up healing, and I have one you can practice on! I hope a bird of prey or a snake grabs this cat.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2022 10:37 am

I do not in US or Germany use dealers for service except warranty. Japan and Korea they do things right. Have to see how market works out this year. After 67 years of doing this and over 75 new bikes I like to pay list price with discount---let dealer handle paperwork at his cost. In US I buy proper priced WalMart house brand oil-----has worked for me for over 500,000 miles.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 6:38 pm

john grinsel wrote:
So am thinking of PCX 160 scooter, Maybe performance equal is Helix--

John, wife and I got new 2021 PCX's last year. Wife got hers first, mine didn't get here until September. She has about 1,000 miles on hers, I got about 500 miles on mine. But we are very happy with them. Mine gets 95-100 mpg, wife's get 100-105 mpg because she's lighter. We put the genuine Honda tall windscreen accessory on both of them. Aftermarket windscreens for 2020 and earlier don't work on the 2021 because they changed the body style.

This is a photo of wife's bike with the tall screen on it.

https://servimg.com/view/20389683/1
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2022 10:50 pm

sc00ter wrote:
I hate when anyone takes advantage of a situation. I understand some cost going up but when you start adding greedy charges on that's another thing. My feeling is if they pull that crap when you buy it they'll try it when you bring it in for service. I've yet to ask the Out The Door price on a Monkey bike at my Honda dealer but that will be a good indicator if my local Honda dealer is pulling that stunt..

I don't know how some dealers are. But our local Honda dealer had an allocation of two PCX's last year and that's all they could get. They ordered them in February. The first one my wife got and that came in late July. I had money down on the other one to reserve it and it didn't get here until September. There was no discounts - either pay list price or we'll sell it to somebody else. But there was also no "price gouging".

A dealer is not obligated to provide a discount from the MSRP. And that MSRP is what it says it is - a suggested retail price. If market demand dictates that the dealer can charge more for it than MSRP, and people will pay it, there is nothing that says they can't do that. And the market demand for the PCX last year was definitely there - they were in short supply in the US. If I hadn't put money down on my PCX when my wife bought hers somebody else would've bought it and put money down on it the next day.

We just happened to stop in at the dealer they day they uncrated the first one they got in and we were first in line to see it and buy it because the dealer did not even know if they would get the two in that they ordered. Wife bought on it on a whim because she liked it at first sight. I asked the salesman if they were getting in any more. Yep, one more ordered but not here yet - didn't take me even 15 seconds to say "I'll take it."

These days, if you want a new bike, and go to the dealer with some idea that you're gonna squabble over a $200-300 discount just to say you got a discount, you will lose to the next buyer standing in line who doesn't care about the discount and just wants the bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022   Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking of changing mind on new bike/scooter selection 2022
Page 1 of 1