Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, this forum is not accepting new members. You should join www.maxi-scoots.com . They are for scooters and motorcycles and have a Silverwing section.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» First Road Trip
by Chris Olson Today at 12:21 pm

» Please submit a picture of your Silver Wing
by EvilTwin Today at 11:01 am

» Today's Liberals
by EvilTwin Today at 10:57 am

» can castrol GTX ultraclean 10w-40 a3/b4 be used as final drive oil?
by GHM-PM Today at 8:14 am

» Aftermarket exhaust.
by Leena Hallasmaa Today at 4:04 am

» Cock a doodle do
by Dale N. Today at 12:39 am

» Worn out variator?
by Mighty Mouse Today at 12:30 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
by Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Silverwing Bulletproof engine
by Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 7:34 pm

» Silverwing in UK?
by Scootypuff Snr Yesterday at 4:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Add in to changing last Scooter Tire

Go down 
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2421
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm

The rear tire I mounted last week or so....developed slow leak.

Checked tire for nail/screws=nothing

Changed valve core 2 or 3 times to find one that sealed.  Soapy water test, ok now

Then did more soapy water tests at base of special Honda Part number, H rated $11   valve stem----small bubbles around base, let air out of tire, rotated stem a little and wiggled, aired up tire again, checked for bubbles=ok  BUT real fix is to  remove wheel, break down tire, replace valve stem----Probably $80 job if you pay somebody.....because of mickey mouse involved with rear wheel removal.

Will work on this next week-----maybe can break bead with wheel on bike....and get inside to push new stem thru.

Current stem has been in use less than 6 months. I think older SilverWings may have or are going to have rear valve stem problems as the rubber parts age.   i got rid of the original stem at about 40,000 miles and replaced with straight one....making checking pressure/filling tire from left side easier.

Leak developing early is probably just a fluke?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin

Number of posts : 2650
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Jeez, Mr Grinsel, if you would have had a Darkside tire and an Ariete valve stem you wouldn't have had these problems Rolling Eyes

Actually the Ariete valves bolt on from the inside and can be mounted for a left side fill.

http://www.ariete.com/en/catalog/road/valvole/

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 pm

I go around corners---why would I want car tire?---beside bike and car wheel have different beads---there is SAE paper on this.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 am

Do yourself a favour and upgrade to a metal valve. Also check the bead of the tyre for leaks - that has been the culprit of a slow leak for me in the past.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Got rubber valve sealed: I see no or have no interest in spending more money on bike that is ending its time with me.

Tip here: At near 50,000 miles my 2013, has had 5 or 6 rear tires---next to last dealer installed. I take care to wire brush/clean bead area on rim----dealers usually don't---this time spent time to really clean rim bead....so no leaks at bead. Use soapy water as lube to seat bead-- then mount on my balance stand to make sure bead is seated all around....and tire round....AND I ended up with leaky stem....should have changed it, even though it had been in service short time.

I use "Ride On" as balance medium and have for several years=works well for me and as my tires stay in balance thruout their life, seem to get more miles out of them.---I am fairly experienced with mc tires having used up something like 450 in 62 years of riding, most self installed, tube or tubeless. Real problem with Maxi-scooter like SilverWing---mickey mouse involved in rear wheel removal., stiff sidewalls of some tires.
Back to top Go down

Add in to changing last Scooter Tire
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: General :: General Chat-
Jump to: