Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Hi, Welcome to the Silverwing 600 Forum. We ask that you be polite and also introduce yourself on your 1st post. The members are friendly and helpful so just have fun. There is www.maxi-scoots.com site that is geared for all scooters and motorcycles.

HomeGallerySearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Steering Head Shake
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby Cosmic_Jumper Today at 8:17 am

» Forum photo, November 2019
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby Mike from NS Today at 7:35 am

» any Clive Cussler fans here?
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby exavid Yesterday at 11:50 pm

» Naomi Wu you got to see her
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby The Bern Yesterday at 2:18 pm

» My SiverWing was stolen today!!
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby DLK Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:30 pm

» Side stand switch
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:51 am

» Booster Plug
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:37 pm

» IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby galley skulker Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:15 pm

» New Yamaha 3 wheel scooter
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby Sepp Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:31 am

» How many of us enjoyed watching my Jaguars lose at Wembley?
Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeby oldwingguy Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Add in to changing last Scooter Tire

Go down 
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 2829
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Add in to changing last Scooter Tire Empty
PostSubject: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm

The rear tire I mounted last week or so....developed slow leak.

Checked tire for nail/screws=nothing

Changed valve core 2 or 3 times to find one that sealed.  Soapy water test, ok now

Then did more soapy water tests at base of special Honda Part number, H rated $11   valve stem----small bubbles around base, let air out of tire, rotated stem a little and wiggled, aired up tire again, checked for bubbles=ok  BUT real fix is to  remove wheel, break down tire, replace valve stem----Probably $80 job if you pay somebody.....because of mickey mouse involved with rear wheel removal.

Will work on this next week-----maybe can break bead with wheel on bike....and get inside to push new stem thru.

Current stem has been in use less than 6 months. I think older SilverWings may have or are going to have rear valve stem problems as the rubber parts age.   i got rid of the original stem at about 40,000 miles and replaced with straight one....making checking pressure/filling tire from left side easier.

Leak developing early is probably just a fluke?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 3232
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Jeez, Mr Grinsel, if you would have had a Darkside tire and an Ariete valve stem you wouldn't have had these problems Rolling Eyes

Actually the Ariete valves bolt on from the inside and can be mounted for a left side fill.

http://www.ariete.com/en/catalog/road/valvole/

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 20, 2017 6:23 pm

I go around corners---why would I want car tire?---beside bike and car wheel have different beads---there is SAE paper on this.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 am

Do yourself a favour and upgrade to a metal valve. Also check the bead of the tyre for leaks - that has been the culprit of a slow leak for me in the past.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Add in to changing last Scooter Tire   Add in to changing last Scooter Tire I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Got rubber valve sealed: I see no or have no interest in spending more money on bike that is ending its time with me.

Tip here: At near 50,000 miles my 2013, has had 5 or 6 rear tires---next to last dealer installed. I take care to wire brush/clean bead area on rim----dealers usually don't---this time spent time to really clean rim bead....so no leaks at bead. Use soapy water as lube to seat bead-- then mount on my balance stand to make sure bead is seated all around....and tire round....AND I ended up with leaky stem....should have changed it, even though it had been in service short time.

I use "Ride On" as balance medium and have for several years=works well for me and as my tires stay in balance thruout their life, seem to get more miles out of them.---I am fairly experienced with mc tires having used up something like 450 in 62 years of riding, most self installed, tube or tubeless. Real problem with Maxi-scooter like SilverWing---mickey mouse involved in rear wheel removal., stiff sidewalls of some tires.
Back to top Go down

Add in to changing last Scooter Tire
Page 1 of 1