Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 1:54 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Been Thinking....next bike/scooter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Been Thinking....next bike/scooter Empty
PostSubject: Been Thinking....next bike/scooter   Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 am

Been thinking, my 2017 Honda CB300F will not turn 50,000 miles 2018 season---season for me is all year regardless of weather----but it should have 30-40,000 miles end of one year in service (Oct 2018) so I am
thinking about next bike/scooter, even thought my wife has promised me new Miata when I turn 80----May 2019---had 2 of them, not sure I need another.

So bikes/scooters US market. No bikes available now interest me, my CB300F does everything I need but no centerstand! But thanks to Hepco & Becker it has C-Bow saddle bags and luggage rack---thanks to Puig for 2 windshield combo I built up and now some hand shields I found on ebay for about $20 (would work on SilverWing, too) $40 Bestem Box for dog.

SCOOTERS US market not much there that interests me or would work. After 9 maxi scooters, I hate to go out and buy an expensive windshield on first day....to make rideable.
Yamaha XMAX ok price----but look at the layout of front footboards----is it a Kymco? I can buy Kymco about the same thing for $1500 less---I think they are ok.

With the mid size scooter market dead here, I think Honda will not re-enter market at this time.....or left over Forza and I am sure Honda still has leftover 2013 SilverWings...but their weight bothers me?

Local is a perfect Yellow Helix I could get for $1600, 2600 miles---had 4 new ones so know their problems and needs.....and they work for me.

SilverWings will age out before I do.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Been Thinking....next bike/scooter   Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 11:41 am

John,

I just bought a Versys X-300 and really like it.  It is very light weight and has 39 hp and has plenty of power.  It seems just as quick to 70 mph as the SWing but after that the SWing has better power, of course.  It is very, very smooth and fun to ride.  It already has the platform to put a top case on and there are a few companies that make side cases as well.  The problem you may have is that it is a tall bike.  The seat is 31" high and the stock seat is very, very firm.  A company also sells a device that lowers the bike a couple of inches if it is too tall for some.  But there are a few riders that are only 5'4" that have one.  I'm not sure how they get their leg over it though.  I'm 6' and I had to get used to getting my leg over it.  If it was much taller I would probably put the lowering kit on it.  I bought the Kawasaki High seat for $200 and it does much better.

I get about 60 mpg and I am still breaking it in.  But I am amazed at how smooth the bike is and the power it has.  It really has impressed me so far.  I have it in the shop now for the 600 mile service and I will have them install the 15 tooth counter sprocket and the bar risers.  I figure since it is in the shop they will do each one for only $35.  

The bike is a high revver but is very smooth and I really like how it is very fun to ride.  I put a CalSci windshield and the X Large cost $200 and is a very nice screen.  They have different sizes which are cheaper but the screen is very high quality.  This kind of bike may be what you are looking for IF it isn't too tall for you and the lower kit is an option.  It is geared high so you would probably put the 15 tooth counter sprocket on it.  It only costs $20 and will lower the interstate speed by 500 rpm.  I think at 65mph it is around 7500 rpm.  But it is silky smooth though and no vibrations that I can feel.  Good luck with your next bike though.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Been Thinking....next bike/scooter   Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Jeff, Good info on Versys X-300, esp about sprocket upgrade. Excellent choice.

If I live long enough to outlive the Swing, so far, I'm also peeking at the Honda NM4 or the Honda 750 DCT. The NM4 has a very comfortable low seat position of about 26 inches with an adjustable back rest, great fairing wind protection, and great gas mileage of advertised 61 mpg. The lower seat always helps in duck-walking any bike, regardless of weight. The 750 DCT is taller, more naked, but gets advertised 64 mpg. NM4 price is a little high at $11,000+. The 750 DCT is supposedly scheduled for US in July 2018. May have a price of $8-9,000. Meanwhile, you can buy the 700 DCT in US now. Lots of good reviews for both bikes.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Been Thinking....next bike/scooter   Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 8:22 pm

bikehiker,

You may get more than the 61 or 64 mpg. I had the CTX DCT and I was getting 70 mpg when I started to ride it normally. When I first got it I was having fun and only getting 60-65 mpg. They are low-revves and get great mileage. Some riders even get as high as 75-80 mpg. If you can swing your leg over the NC750, and can afford it, that would be a nice bike. It has the 22L Frunk that can hold a full size helmet. I was going to wait for one but I wanted something a bit lighter and less expensive. I just ride for fun and to commute to work.

But I didn't mean to hijack Johns thread. But John may want to consider the NC750 if he could swing his leg over it. I loved the DCT and think one day it will be on most bikes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Been Thinking....next bike/scooter   Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2018 9:08 pm

None of the Honda 750's....that all use same engine=too expensive and heavy...weather protection that really works? Centerstand? My CB300F is light, plenty fast enough, revs high 70-75 mph indicated =7500 rpm. Honda has the gearing/power/chain run/number of sprocket teeth all figured out. Just mid-winter 15day, 14 state, 4800 mile trip---no trouble, not even chain adjustment.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Been Thinking....next bike/scooter   Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2018 7:26 am

I see your dilemma John. Sadly there are not a lot of choices in the US. And yet in Europe and Asia scooters are still king. Sigh. Guess I will keep my SWing until the wheels fall off. I thought about snagging a new 2013 but my 2012 is in great shape and set up right so no real point. Good luck with your search, and Jeff, I am going to look at the Versys as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been Thinking....next bike/scooter   Been Thinking....next bike/scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been Thinking....next bike/scooter
Page 1 of 1