Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!

Go down 
+2
GHM-PM
zrx212
6 posters
AuthorMessage
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2020-12-26

"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! Empty
PostSubject: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 8:10 pm

The last part of the famous one liner is very fitting to my latest shop tool, I've been "Jonesing"(US slang for craving) for a while for one of these newer lightweight/compact/powerfull battery impact drivers for a while, admission cost of aprox. $200 had kept me at bay, kept soldiering on with my large corded Dewalt impact wrench, but at 20yrs, 7lbs and leaking oil, is now semi-retired, just for bigger jobs.

This new Dewalt 12V cordless 3/8 Impact Wrench is perfect for doing general work on scooter and will tackle cvt pulleys, axle nuts, etc. easily, it also has modes just to run bolts in and/or low torque modes, safe for small fasteners, at just 2lbs with battery it could go with on road trips, tried on my truck 125ft/lbs wheel nuts, no issue removing, this is the previous generation of this tool, so it was on sale for $99(-$60) at Lowes "on line", free delivery to local store. BTW, I do recommend using impact sockets on high torque items for safety.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/impact-drivers-and-wrenches/xtreme-12v-max-brushless-38-in-cordless-impact-wrench-tool-only/dcf902b

Some may say this is not really Silverwing scooter related tool/topic, but if you are on a long road trip and break the belt !!, this tool with batteries only, a handfull of sockets, etc. and a spare belt, all packed neatly in the same Dewalt toolbag, will get you going quicker than calling roadside assitance, weighs in close to a modular/full face helmet and uses similar space !!

"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! Sw13910
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 8:34 pm

Excellent tip, thanks. I have been considering going this route also.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2022 8:42 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Excellent tip, thanks. I have been considering going this route also.

There's also a car jumper adapter and car charger for the tool batteries, maybe for my birthday  "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! 1f601 , need to cool down the CC  "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! 1f62b
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 4:43 am

That's a handy tool which you've obviously chosen because of your mechanical skills and experience.

But I doubt very much if many of us on here are capable of or even want to attempt changing a maxi scooter belt by the side of the road. Pushing a broken down 550lbs Silver Wing to a safe area would be difficult enough.

For many years I've found it easier to prepare for a road trip or touring by doing the preparation at home before setting off. If the drive belt is nearing the end of it's service life it'll get changed. It's the same with tyres, brake pads, spark plugs, fluids, and filters.

I haven't carried a spare belt around since I first started maxi riding in the Nineties on a new US import Honda CN250 Helix. Back then in Helix club newsletters, the old sweats reckoned you could change the belt using a wooden hammer handle to lever it on.

As I was new to the maxi game I believed them and needlessly carried a spare belt and hammer handle around on a load of UK and European tours for about six years of my eight years of Helix ownership.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 10:12 am

I've have always carried a spare cvt belt on all my scooters, tucked out of the way under the bodywork, in a plastic bag, zip tied in place, etc., usually the old one, as I always change belts on newly aquired scooter irregardless of mileage, kinda start fresh. Not going to debate the prep and/or maintenance practices to prevent belt breakage (or other on the road failures) and how belts are better, etc., but with over 45yrs as a professional mechanic, tells me to prepare for the unexpected. 

IMO having at least a spare belt could really change the narrative if it fails far from home, either you or **roadside assistance** could solve the problem with part on hand, the likelihood of you finding a replacement is nil, dealers don't stock anything nowdays !!

I've carried a STOP & GO tire plugger kit with CO2 bottles for aprox. 20yrs, have used it aprox. 10 times, twice on my bikes, and got everyone home, a good $50 invesment !!

IAC my Dad always said "Be prepared, rely on yourself "  "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! 1f60e
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 6:18 pm

Reducing the amount of gear I carry interest me, so I don't get this carrying a spare belt for roadside repairs thing. I bet sports bikes riders or touring riders on chain drive bikes don't carry a spare drive chain around with them 'just in case'.

After once attempting to fix a flat on the Helix with a useless BMW tubeless repair kit, I bought a STOP & GO tyre plugger kit as they're supposed to be the dogs doodahs, I wouldn’t know as it has remained unused under the seat of my last four maxi scooters. Most likely because I treat all new and replacement tyres with puncture sealant as soon as they're scrubbed in.

For mainland Europe I'll carry the mandatory first aid kit and spare bulb kit, even though I now ride a Forza with full LED lights. It's simpler that having to explain to some Euro cop why I'm not carrying one. 🇪🇺

In the same way I'll pack a breathalyser kit, hi-vis vest, and wear a helmet with reflective decals/stickers just to keep them happy in France. 🇫🇷

Since getting the Forza and fitting the larger Givi screen and hand wind deflectors, I've gotten into the habit of riding in prolonged heavy rain in whatever riding gear and gloves I'm wearing at the time and not stopping to put on rain gear.  I've been a bit damp around the arms in mesh summer gear but never soaked or chilled, and have since waterproofed vulnerable areas to prevent it.

The Forza has a smaller under seat storage area than the Silver Wing and I'm not going to clutter it up with non essential junk. A neoprene pouch with a few tools is sufficient so I've space for a bag of personal gear.

I ditched using a tunnel bag years ago and have never regretted it, and I haven't used soft saddlebags for many years.

I'm quite pleased with the long zippered pouch I recycled from a damaged suitcase of Mrs M's a few months ago and Velcro taped to the inside my Givi top box. It' useful for keeping wipes, anti- fog sprays etc all in one place.

I'm getting round to reducing the amount of stuff I pack for maxi touring similar to what I carry as hand luggage flying to some Euro city break.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2022 7:35 pm

" Reducing the amount of gear I carry interest me, so I don't get this carrying a spare belt for        roadside repairs thing. I bet sports bikes riders or touring riders on chain drive bikes don't            carry   a  spare drive chain around with them 'just in case'. "

Seems like you are missing completely the point, I don't intend to carry a bunch of tools, etc. all the time, just when I go on extended road trips out of my normal riding areas, like out of the state of Florida, etc., a few hours from home and even within the state. I can call famiy or friends for help. But I will continue to carry spare belts on all my scooters tucked out of the way under the bodywork, in a plastic bag, zip tied in place, etc. Reducing chances of a bad day is what interest me !!,  BTW, Drive chains are way more durable than a belt and will give you plenty signs of wear, before they break. But they do break and sometimes is not pretty, they wished they had a belt !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2022 2:43 am

It seems to me it's you that's missed the point, I'm not new to maxi scooters, maxi touring, or UK and European touring and know from experience what to pack for a trouble free journey before setting off. I'm not referring to rides out of your home state or the familiarity of Northern England but when travelling in mainland Europe. (Unfamiliar languages, riding on the opposite side of the road, etc.)

Calling family and friends back home for help isn't an option once you've over there.

Why would I expect a belt to break anyway, they're good for 16000 miles. I bought my Silver Wing new and was responsible for it's service and maintenance from 2010 to 2018 and knew when the belt needed changing and had it done.

The same 16000 miles belt life applies to my bought from new 2018 Forza 300,   so as the Aussies say "No worries".
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2022 1:43 am

As veteran of 11 new maxiscooters since 1990 and over 400,000 miles with them, in at least 10 countries---I do carry spare belt as dealers usually never have one in stock----Only Helix could belt actually be changed on side of road, easily---by squeezing rear clutch to get new belt on----only belt I broke was on Helix, near end of its service life....in VA, at that time called HRC (membership given free with new bike purchase) they sent truck, it carried me and my bike to friend's house to change it in his garage. If silverWing broke belt, I would call Honda Service---at one time they even paid hotel and meals while you waited for repairs, especially on warranty! My belt failure experience in those 400,000 miles---I changed belts on 16,000 intervals with OEM belts. Left rest of drive train alone!! I hate walking. My riding with these scooter included Europe and Asia, sometimes very hard service. Rode Rubber band drive scooter to 49 US states in 2014---Burgman 400.----as to tools, I carry enough to remove both wheels and to make minor adjustments---just riding is important to me.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2022 11:09 am

Some general comments on statements by John Grinsel  thumbs up

" I do carry spare belt as dealers usually never have one in stock "  

Nowdays dealers don't stock much at all, mostly cather to their best selling models, helmets, clothing and accessories, they like to operate with your money, you order, pay + wait !!

" I changed belts on 16,000 intervals with OEM belts."  

IMO the mileage interval used on drive belts is to abstract/general not very accurate, it's just adequate/conservative measure that can be used/understood by most operators, age should be a factor also, like 16k and/or 3-5yrs. 

Left rest of drive train alone!! "

Yes, it's generally been proven that oem is very durable, but some like to mod cvt and add more weight with bags, etc. The belt interval should be adjusted accordingly, with my mods I'm doing 10k miles or 3yrs.

Last edited by zrx212 on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2022 11:55 am

But you do not really ride scooter a lot....or have ridden a lot in the past-----ride 30,000 or miles a year stock/oem works best. modifying scooter still leaves it a scooter in the....sometimes worse performing.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2022 1:38 pm

That's a handy bit of kit to be carrying in the event of an emergency. I reckon a belt snap is every scooter rider's worst nightmare. From my somewhat limited experience with the SW, I'm leaning back towards OEM parts as far as the machinery is concerned.

Stick to the specs laid down by Honda and I reckon all will be fine, although I do change the belt before the specified interval but then I'm just paranoid Suspect
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 pm

Found year old pic of when I was looking for a spot to store the belt, this is a mock-up at what became is final storage location under LH floorboard, the belt was covered in thin plastic food wrap to keep clean, before it was finally attatched  with zip ties, it does not touch any hot component or skirt panel, actually is kinda loosely hanging/suspended, not too tight.

Is kind'a like a spare tire, nice to know is there, but never want to use it ....

"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! Sw14210
Back to top Go down
Benzon1960
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Benzon1960

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2021-09-22

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 3:13 am

Appreciate we all have our individual preferences. I personally go with Meldrew and simply make sure that my scooter is well maintained at all times. This means also replacing the belt with another OEM if there is any chance of trouble ahead. I simply don’t bother having to ride with a concern in the back of my mind that maybe this or that might cause trouble. You could say that better safe than sorry.

Of course, if you are of a different opinion the Dewalt or similar might work out the perfect solution for you.
Back to top Go down
https://www.linkedin.com/in/janrosencronevonbenzon/
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2022 9:41 am

Is not just an opinion, is also a matter of location/demographics

Compared to a lot of other markets, the "Scooter Culture" in the US in general is abysmally small, we are mostly recreatonal/fair weather riders, thus the support structure shops/parts is non existing, you may find a few scooter shops in some major cities, but they mostly cater to what is popular in the area or models they sell, usually small bore stuff used by younger crowd and/or students. Finding a shop that will work on your tupperware covered scooter is difficult on it's own, most don't !!

So in the US you have different things to consider when going far away !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!   "Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Say Hello To My Little Friend", New Tool !!
Page 1 of 1