Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Mr. Dale a question or two.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Mr. Dale a question or two. Empty
PostSubject: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 10:17 am

First the stock exhaust looks a tad close to that right rear fender, did you modify yours or isn't heat a problem.
Second, what is the weak link in the system, the stock drive or something in the kit'
Third, the learning curve, haven't ridden the three wheel Hondas they banned I can say anything downhill and off chamber can get iffy at times.

TIA oldwingguy
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 11:15 am

All you have to do with 3 wheel trikes---one wheel in front is remember how easy your trike tipped over as a kid. I think 3 wheels ok with 2 in front---I have near 100,000 miles experience with 2 Messerschmitts----almost killed myself in Japan with the discontinued Honda 3 wheel ATV!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 12:18 pm

Like to add---sidecar outfits skillfully ridden can be quite safe---worked best when factory outfits were available---I have had new HD big twin with tin sidecar/MZ outfit---home brew Yamaha SR500 Jawa sidecar---Guzzi V-7 with Steib S350 ( did not have the money for different triple trees or reduced final drive gearing---bike suffered as result)
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2021 4:00 pm

oldwingguy,
I/they didn't do anything with the stock tailpipe/muffler. There doesn't seem to be any heat problems with it. Or at least none that I've noticed or felt.
I'm not sure about any "weak link" in the system. Nothing has broken on it yet. I suppose the only main thing that's different from stock is that I have to lube the drive chain. They recommend about every 300 miles or so.
Those 3 wheel Honda ATVs from way back had, I don't know what you'd call them, Balloon Tires? This kit keeps the original front SWing tire and the two back ones are basically 14" car tires. I haven't had any fear or sensation of tipping so far. I can take curves and round-a-bouts at posted speeds.

John,
My trike as a kid had a much shorter wheel base. When I had this one put on I also had them add a 4 degree rake kit to the triple tree to extend the front wheel out a bit which was included in the $8,000 price tag. When I was doing my learning curve getting used to it I did take corners etc.a bit slower than I do now just because I wasn't used to riding a trike. Now that I've had a couple of years riding it I know my mental limits and don't worry about curves and intersections anymore.

I hope this helped answer any questions. Like I said before tho, I have no regrets doing this to my SWing. Plus, I still have all the parts they took off my SWing when they put the trike kit on.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 7:21 am

Thank you, nice description, ignore my other questions in the other post.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2021 9:49 pm

I also got to thinking, and yes it hurt,,, but the chain lubing every 300 miles does seem a bit much. Heck, my Wife and I took my 74 Honda CB750 from MN to FL one year and I only lubed the chain once or twice each way with no problems. It was a nice heavy duty O-Ring chain just like this one. Even tho they say/recommend 300 miles I never have lubed it that often and the chain hasn't "stretched" either. It's still just as "tight" as the first day I got it.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:11 am

Even tho they say/recommend 300 miles I never have lubed it that often and the chain hasn't "stretched" either. It's still just as "tight" as the first day I got it.

Dale I wonder if that's because the transmission has taken some of the load off while starting up thus easing the load on the chain, and the same for each shift point on a standard bike transmission.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2021 7:25 am

[quote] Dale I wonder if that's because the transmission has taken some of the load off while starting up thus easing the load on the chain, and the same for each shift point on a standard bike transmission.[quote]

That could very well be the case.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mr. Dale a question or two.   Mr. Dale a question or two. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mr. Dale a question or two.
Page 1 of 1