Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open

Go down 
+8
Easyrider
bandito2
oldwingguy
Murf
Meldrew
Mighty Mouse
Cosmic_Jumper
Moonkicker
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Moonkicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-07-29

Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open Empty
PostSubject: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 9:38 pm

Hi,  I'm Moonkicker and I'm a dumbass!  I locked my key under my seat and had to drill it out. Now it's drilled out but the seat closed and locked again and i can't get it open. Anyone have any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 pm

Wedge the left side of the seat open and remove the three screws holding the top of the left panel on. You’ll need a right angle phillips head and you’ll have to locate those three screws. Yes, it’s going to be a tedious job, but you earned it. Then remove a 4th panel screw near the license plate - and possibly a 5th screw facing upward approx midway on the bottom edge of the panel. Then you’ll be able to remove the panel and pull the latch cable.
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 4:45 am

Cosmic_Jumper I think this advice needs to be Pinned! I have long wondered what I'll do when I manage to lock my key under seat!?  Touch wood - not yet! And a second key at home.
So there is a work-around! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 7:44 am

It's interesting reading on Day 129 of Lockdown or whatever it is yet another topic about accidentally locking keys under the seat, and yes I've also done it myself.

When I had a 650 Burgman I did it one evening in Cumbria and Mrs M had to drive 150 miles over from York to get my spare set, and then drive more miles bringing them to me.

My Forza has a keyless system and I've read plenty of forum posts from maxi owners saying they don't like them, or wouldn't have a maxi scooter with the Honda SMART key or similar systems used by Yamaha and other scooter manufacturers.

Usually it's from people that have dismissed them without any experience of owning any scooter that has a keyless system.

'Some thieving scrote with an electronic black box will clone the key and steal my scooter is the usual gripe'. They never think having a smart key I'll never accidentally lock my keys under the seat without a clue how to open it, because it'll be in my pocket. If in theory you did, you'd simply press a switch on the dashboard and the seat catch would open to retrieve your keys.

I can immobile the scooter simply by walking a few feet away from it, and I can also switch the smart key off at anytime. Also if I'm that paranoid I can slip my smart key into a pouch that acts as a Faraday Cage.

Currently there's also a lad on a UK forum desperate for help as he's also locked his keys under the seat of his Piaggio.

So it does no harm at all to have your spare keys with you when you go riding, and if you've bought a used Silver Wing or any other maxi scooter that has only one set, that was rather silly of you.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 12:13 pm

On the silver wing, carefully pull the bottom of the left panel out. Just forward of the key area are the latch cables get something to hook on the cables and pull gently.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 30, 2020 2:17 pm

Murf wrote:
On the silver wing, carefully pull the bottom of the left panel out.  Just forward of the key area are the latch cables get something to hook on the cables and pull gently.  

Question about this, can one use a zip tie put it on the cable and leave the end dangle out of sight but reachable if one knows where it is, just in case.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 4:19 am

oldwingguy wrote:
Murf wrote:
On the silver wing, carefully pull the bottom of the left panel out.  Just forward of the key area are the latch cables get something to hook on the cables and pull gently.  

Question about this, can one use a zip tie put it on the cable and leave the end dangle out of sight but reachable if one knows where it is, just in case.

Seems like that should be possible.

On my Honda NSS250 Reflex, I once neglected to properly install the cable from the key mechanism back to the inside area between the frame and under-seat storage after removing the rear side panels for some repair I had done. This left the cable accessible. (but still hidden from sight) By reaching in through a small vent hole in the panel and hooking onto it with my finger, I could give it a light tug and easily pop the seat open.

So in theory, you could effect the same sort of thing by installing some hidden means of a cable pull... As long as you don't tell anyone what you've done and pretend you are inserting a key into the lock when using your secret method of latch release, then you should be good to go with possible bystanders unaware of anything amiss.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 am

That's what I was thinking but there is my 2nd key method, make an extra and keep it in your wallet.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 12:41 am

You could zip tie the spare key to a hidden spot on your bike. This helps also if you loose your primary key.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 2:32 am

Long time ago, I read someplace where a person hid a spare key for their car by wrapping it with aluminum foil then covering it up and smoothing it over with a glob of latex caulk up in a wheel well or under a bumper. It would naturally get dirty and just look and feel like a lump of road crud. Might be a bit of a task to pry it off and get the key out of the lump, but it would be unlikely that it would ever be noticed or found if somebody was looking for a hidden key. It might be a good idea to hide a key that way if you really lose it or just in case you locked up your wallet with the other spare key in it under the seat. Could hide a spare house key or a small sum of emergency cash that way as well.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 4:45 am

In relation to all this what is the range of the HISS? Obviously I only you wouldn't want that in range of the ignition.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 6:58 am

North American spec FSC Silver Wings don't have the Honda HISS immobiliser key that the European spec FJS has. Keys accidentally locked under the seat seems to be more of a problem for those owners that have bought a used Silver Wing without the second key.

One of the two sets of keys that came with my Silver Wing had a metal tag attatched with a series of numbers stamped on it, the other set didn't have that tag. I always used the set without the tags, and kept the tagged set as spares kept which I got into the habit of carrying in an inside jacket pocket.

In the event of accidentally locking the untagged keys under the seat, I could unlock the seat using them. If I ever lost that set I could go to a Honda dealership and order a replacement key using the numbers stamped on the tag of the first set. Maybe that number code also related to the HISS immobiliser code too.

The spare car keys under the wheel arch is a strange thing, you can buy magnetic key storage boxes to hide a key under the wheel arch, although there's nothing to stop opportunist car thieves looking for the box. Keys hidden there have featured in plenty of TV films too, in fact we've even taken a hire car back to an airport multi-storey car park and been asked to leave the car in a specific area with the keys left on top of a front wheel.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 8:13 am

I checked with a lock smith I know. He said easy to pick the lock. My solution is always have a spare set of keys. When on a long trip I keep my spare in my wallet.
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 11:00 am

We never heard back from Mooonkicker . More than once , Rare , but more than once,, while stopped in the vehicle , I've pulled the key out just far enough to not listen to the audible reminder (ding ding ding)- you know , that reminder thats trying to tell me - "Don't get out and lock the door , The Keys' are in the ignition reminder". Well... The strategically hidden , unnoticeable , wired spare key under the vehicle has saved me more than once , same in the Wife's vehicle . When I do get out of the vehicle , or off the scoot , the keys are clipped to a belt loop and into a pocket . So I'm hopeful to think , locking the key under the seat or in the tour-pac won't happen .
Back to top Go down
scottramsam
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 12:36 pm

It is pretty common thing on the Burgman web site to rig up a piece of cable to the seat lock and then hid it up under the fender. If you accidental lock your keys in the trunk then you just reach up under the fender and pull the lanyard cable you installed. Saved my butt one time.
Back to top Go down
Noochgrg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2020-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2020 1:29 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Wedge the left side of the seat open and remove the three screws holding the top of the left panel on. You’ll need a right angle phillips head and you’ll have to locate those three screws. Yes, it’s going to be a tedious job, but you earned it. Then remove a 4th panel screw near the license plate - and possibly a 5th screw facing upward approx midway on the bottom edge of the panel. Then you’ll be able to remove the panel and pull the latch cable.

Just wanted to say that this comment just saved my butt. It was super simple to pry it open a little and unscrew the screws. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open   Locked keys:  Can't get seat storage open I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locked keys: Can't get seat storage open
Page 1 of 1