Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?

Go down 
+7
exavid
lcgraham
Jim Caudill
terrier
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
Jimmyk
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2018-01-23

Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? Empty
PostSubject: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 10:15 am

I'm not sure if there's a problem with my seat, when storing stuff.
When you lift the seat, is it supposed th stay open? If so, what holds it open?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 10:39 am

That "Stay Open" feature falls within the generous 10-day, one thousand mile warranty. Rolling Eyes Not much of a chance of the Seat Damper actually holding the seat open after that.

Actually the Seat Damper is more of a pneumatic assist for raising the seat. Some members here have replaced the OEM seat damper with a heavier duty aftermarket damper.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Thanks Tim    Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 10:53 am

I guess I can get by without it staying open.
Besides grabbing a helmet or a pair of gloves, that’s about all it gets used for.
Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 11:22 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
That "Stay Open" feature falls within the generous 10-day, one thousand mile warranty. Rolling Eyes Not much of a chance of the Seat Damper actually holding the seat open after that.

Actually the Seat Damper is more of a pneumatic assist for raising the seat. Some members here have replaced the OEM seat damper with a heavier duty aftermarket damper.

Tim

The make / number on that aftermarket damper is ??
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 12:46 pm

Typing "seat damper" in the Search function produced this:
https://www.silverwing600.com/t6905-seat-damper-upgrade?highlight=Seat+Damper
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Jimmyk wrote:
I'm not sure if there's a problem with my seat, when storing stuff.
When you lift the seat, is it supposed th stay open?   If so, what holds it open?

Any good ?   https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Force-Strut-Spring-Support/dp/B007PP32B2
Back to top Go down
Jimmyk
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2018 3:22 pm

I took a gamble and just ordered one from Amazon.
Using 2.00 and some change in reward points, I paid 12.85 with free shipping.
Does anyone out there use this on their seat? If so how does it work?
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 pm

Yes, it is supposed to stay open. I ordered the OEM part from one of the discounters (Partzilla or Babbitt - don't remember). Some extra stiff units ended up bending the stock attachments. Seems like there are always some aftermarket units on ebay...
Back to top Go down
lcgraham
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2015-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 pm

If I need to keep mine open for more than a minute, I use a bungle cord anchored to the mirror post.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm

My first Silverwing had a shot seat lift gas cylinder. For a while I just carried a stick to prop the seat up but didn't like nonfunctional parts on my scoot so I replaced it with one from Partzilla for about $26. There are other sources but the one Partzilla sells has the right pressure, some are too stiff operating.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/scooter/2007/fsc600d-ac-silver-wing/seat
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 2:11 pm

exavid wrote:
My first Silverwing had a shot seat lift gas cylinder. For a while I just carried a stick to prop the seat up but didn't like nonfunctional parts on my scoot so I replaced it with one from Partzilla for about $26. There are other sources but the one Partzilla sells has the right pressure, some are too stiff operating.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/scooter/2007/fsc600d-ac-silver-wing/seat

The only non-working part I like is above the seat! chickendance
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2018 3:29 pm

I have had two silverwings and both gas seat cylinders did not hold up the seat well. Just more of a dampener when shutting. The bungy cord to the handlebars is what I use if the seat needs to stay up for a while.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

I just installed one on my 08 that has not worked for years. Amazon. I did have to inlarge the top and bottom holes a bit to make it fit, as othere have said. Only took about 25min for the exchange.
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 6:27 pm

John
Done mine the same last month, got the link form Tim and it worked a treat
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 7:16 pm

Just found a problem with the strut replacement. The seat will not totally unlock. I have to push down on the forward latch on top of the seat for it to open. I made the strut shorter and longer and it still does not work correctly. Any ideas folks?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Seat latch problem   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 12:23 am

Check to see if your bike's seat is centered so the loop can fit right into the center of the latch. You could disconnect the strut and check how the seat latch engages the latch. It's possible the seat pan could be bent or warped a bit.

The seat hinge on my '08 is sloppy enough that when the bike is on the side stand the seat part of the latch misses the slot on the bike by a fraction of an inch. I usually push the seat a bit toward the high side a bit when closing and then pushing down firmly to make sure it latches. Honda could have done a bit better on this setup. The latching system on my BMW scooter's seat fit a lot better and didn't have any sloppiness. But then that might have been because it was six years newer or twice the price of a Silver Wing.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2019 12:33 am

Does anyone know why the subject portion of my posts seem to stretch out vertically?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?   Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the seat supposed to stay up on its own ,when you unlock it and open it?
Page 1 of 1