Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stator grommet replacement

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
terrificobjects
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2020-05-28

Stator grommet replacement Empty
PostSubject: Stator grommet replacement   Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2020 3:41 pm

Hi all,

So I've fixed my previously discussed vacuum leak, but while I had the bike completely apart, I noticed two things:

1. There is an oil leak on the stator side, coming right out from where I know on scooters and mopeds to be the alternator/stator. It looks like the stator grommet is leaking. I have not found any pictorials for this. If someone has one somewhere, can you link me to it? I could not find via forum search and the pictures in the Honda service manual are not very clear. If one has not been made, I will be glad to take pictures next weekend when I do this after the Hondabond HT and some more degreaser arrive.

2. There was a rusty pencil eraser head-sized hole in the frame, about an inch from where it meets itself at a weld. I used a welder and 3/16 in steel for the weld and sealed tight over that entire area with a 3" piece of it, almost wrapped around the frame bar with it. There did not seem to be any other aberrations or rust on the frame, so I think I'm good with that. Does anyone foresee this being an issue in the future? I did automotive welding in high school, so this isn't my first rodeo with frame repair, but I've never had to do it on a motorcycle frame- it looks like this may have been from when the bike was laid down, judging by the damage.

The bike runs an insane amount better after replacing the throttle body, I took it to the mountains yesterday after it just sitting for the last two weeks, and it took my gf and I all over the Idaho Springs/Genesee Park region with no performance issues. Thanks for everyone that helped with that project!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Stator grommet replacement   Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2020 4:21 pm

That stator grommet in somewhat infamous for developing a drip. Unfortunately it does not seem to be available as a replacement part. Best you can do is to remove that stator cover, clean off the mating surfaces and grommet and then use Hondabond sealant to reassemble.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 388
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Stator grommet replacement   Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2020 4:52 pm

I'll be doing a similar job on my bike as soon as my new alternator arrives. I have the same oil leak, I think it is from the crank position sensor wire rather than the stator wire, but I'll be using plenty of sealant when I am in there. The YouTube channel below has endless videos on SilverWing maintenance including stator replacement, unfortunately all in Italian but I figure if I drink enough Peroni beer I'll be able to understand enough...

https://www.youtube.com/c/stefanobonacasa/videos
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stator grommet replacement   Stator grommet replacement I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stator grommet replacement
Page 1 of 1