Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Bad Stator, Part 3

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Bad Stator, Part 3 Empty
PostSubject: Bad Stator, Part 3   Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 11:05 am

After I replaced the stator with one ordered from Partzilla I discovered a source for re-winding motorcycle stators.

Custom Rewind in Birmingham, AL (customrewind.com)comes highly recommended by many folks including several hands-on guys on the ADVrider forum. I contacted Custom Rewind and they quoted me a price of $100 to rewind my stator (including shipping), with a less than one week turn around. That proves to be a pretty significant savings over that of the Honda OEM list price of ~$220, or Partzilla’s discounted price of $167.

Let me go out on a limb here and speculate that while the stator had failed it was still putting out some voltage. Enough that, once started, would keep the scoot running. So if this failure happened while I was on a trip I could, conceivably, continue riding to a service shop or home after first unplugging the headlight to conserve the little power the stator was generating.

However that theory might fall by the wayside (pun) if the scoot were shut down and needed to be restarted --say at a fuel stop. That said, I am using an Elite/Helix non-locking gas cap so I wouldn’t need to shut the scoot down to unlock the cap and refill the tank.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Bad Stator, Part 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Stator, Part 3   Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 5:39 pm

So Tim are you going to have your old one rewound? If I would have known about them I would've saved my old one and had it rewound and kept it for a spare. I have two Silverwings so I like to have spare parts around. Then on the other hand if I had to wait to have my stator rewound I could ride my other scooter. Thank you for passing this information along, you may have saved more than a few people some money. The stator isn't that light, I wonder what round trip postage would cost.  Question  Question
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Bad Stator, Part 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Stator, Part 3   Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2014 6:26 pm

Yes, I did send my old one off to them for rewinding. I think that it cost about $8.00 postage. As I mentioned their price includes return shipping.

And, yeah, if I had known about them I would have sent my bad stator for rewinding rather than order a new OEM stator and wait for Partzilla to receive the part from Honda and then to send it to me.

But, again, you can't beat Partzilla's prices for OEM parts.

EDIT: Ho-lee crap!...Custom Rewind received my old stator last Tuesday. Today, Monday, UPS delivered the rewound stator to my door. Now that's fast service --especially considering that there was a weekend in the interim.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bad Stator, Part 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad Stator, Part 3   Bad Stator, Part 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Stator, Part 3
Page 1 of 1