Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Interesting on greasing related to tire change

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Interesting on greasing related to tire change Empty
PostSubject: Interesting on greasing related to tire change   Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 pm

The front wheel axle calls for some grease but the rear doesn't mention Moly 60 or any grease on the spline, only in the grove on the axle shaft, this is by the service manual. Any of the DIY crowd do it any different, me doesn't make much sense if it's not a moving part to use grease.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Interesting on greasing related to tyre change    Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 12:59 pm

I put a smear of Rocol ASP on the splines when I had a SWing, the same as I did on my Deauville and the ST1100 when I had them.  A smear can't do any harm and it may be a good preventative measure in the long run.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Interesting on greasing related to tire change   Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2020 1:26 pm

I used a grease smear on rear splines----90,000 plus miles=no trouble
Back to top Go down
Ken j
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Ken j

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2020-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Interesting on greasing related to tire change   Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 10:03 pm

I just did my first rear tire change on my Swing and I found grease on the rear spline from the old owner's maintenance. Since it was the first time I was in there, I cleaned the area getting all the dirt and road gunk out. I did use some moly on the splines of the axle shaft when installing the wheel back on. Sure I understand that it is a non moving part but my thinking is that if I ever need to pull the wheel again (and I will on the next tire change), it will help in removing it. Non moving parts such as splines and mating grooves can rust together making it more difficult to separate.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Interesting on greasing related to tire change   Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 am

I too did a bit of Moly 60 on that spline but as the Service Manual shows the grease goes in that grove on the shaft. A little is all, no need to slather it on.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Interesting on greasing related to tire change   Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 10:18 am

john grinsel wrote:
... snipped ... I used a grease smear on rear splines--no trouble

^^^ +1 ^^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting on greasing related to tire change   Interesting on greasing related to tire change I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interesting on greasing related to tire change
Page 1 of 1