Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How do I change a rear tire, easily?

Go down 
+3
terrier
Cosmic_Jumper
masontx
7 posters
AuthorMessage
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-04-01

How do I change a rear tire, easily? Empty
PostSubject: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Did a search, but didn't see much on how to change a rear tire. I'm in the process of changing the rear tire, and want to make sure I'm not missing something.  According to the manual you remove the muffler, parking brake caliper, and rear brake caliper, which includes draining the brake line and disconnecting it.  Am I reading that right, you have to drain the brake fluid to change a tire? Then you remove the axel nut and swing arm?  There has to be a simpler way.
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Found a post that says tire removal takes about 10 minutes, and refers to this link: http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/rearwheel/rearwheel.html
but it is a dead link. Anyone know how you remove a tire that quick? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 1:57 pm

"Quick" ain't gonna happen.

Remove the muffler. Loosen the axle nut while the scoot is still on the ground (have a friend balance the scoot while you do this). IIRC the axle nut is torqued to ~100 lb ft. Put the scoot on the center stand. Remove the parking brake and the rear brake calipers. Remove the small plastic trim piece at the front ent of the swing arm (5MM hex). Remove the bolts holding the brake line to the swing arm (IIRC 3). Remove the lower shock bolt and secure the shock up out of the way. Remove the T-50 torx bolts holding the swing arm to the center swing arm & right side swing arm pivot. Move the caliper and brake line out of the way. Remove the swing arm from the drive axle. Take note of the spacer and its direction. Remove the wheel from the drive axle. 

10 minutes?...I don't think so.

Be sure to grease the axle splines before you reinstall the wheel. 

Please, please, please dont use an electric impact gun to retorque the axle nut. Dont use that tool to reinstall the variator bolt either. Manually torque that nut. I've seen a couple of incidences where that nut has gotten lost during a ride and the wheel started wobbling and destroyed the wheel splines. 

Not to mention the risk to your life, but the cost of the tow home and the cost of a new wheel are pretty discouraging. Manually torque that nut.

Tim
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 2:54 pm

masontx wrote:
Did a search, but didn't see much on how to change a rear tire. I'm in the process of changing the rear tire, and want to make sure I'm not missing something.  According to the manual you remove the muffler, parking brake caliper, and rear brake caliper, which includes draining the brake line and disconnecting it.  Am I reading that right, you have to drain the brake fluid to change a tire? Then you remove the axel nut and swing arm?  There has to be a simpler way.

A video is worth a thousand words. Have a look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsyncE3VXGM It's Italian but all self explanatory. The guy also has other good videos on SWing maintenance.

Den
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 3:24 pm

I've taken my rear wheel off a couple of times now and it didn't take all that long. A bit more than 10 minutes but certainly no more than 15-20 minutes. That was on my own although I doubt it would be any quicker if there were two of you.
... and no, you don't have to drain any fluid. Just undo the calliper holding bolts and lift it out of the way.
I seem to remember I loosened the axle nut with the bike on the side stand to prevent the wheel turning, then put the bike up on the main stand.
I don't remember any particular problems other than the usual ones associated with kneeling around on the floor... Laughing
Back to top Go down
masontx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
masontx

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Thanks to all who replied, especially the video link from Terrier. The manual says remove the caliper, then refers you to the section on brakes which tells you how to remove the brake completely. After seeing the video I now know that is overkill, it just needs to be unbolted and moved out of the way.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 1:44 am

masontx,

I have 4 PDF files with the steps and photos of how to remove the rear wheel.  They are from the Leroy Beal website that I pulled off what must have been days before it was taken down. Send me your email via PM and I can send them to you. They appear to be too large to post here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2015 3:00 am

It is also a good idea to lubricate the axle splines in the rear wheel at this time.
A good quality wheel bearing grease will be satisfactory.I also use some anti seize lube on the exhaust bolts for next time. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 4:17 am

I just replaced the rear tire this evening.  Removing the rear wheel was pretty easy overall, maybe 30 minutes to do, putting it back on, maybe 40-45 minutes because of checking manual and torquing bolts to spec and loctite and lube as needed.

1. Remove exhaust; 1 bolt for hanger and 2 bolts for exhaust clamp.  I'd suggest spraying with PB Blaster or similar prior to free up as probably rusted. Use an aluminum based anti-seize when installing.
2. Loosen axle bolt (27mm) with parking brake on and side stand, don't remove, just break free and a couple turns. let off parking brake and put on center stand.
3. Remove lower shock bolt from swingarm. Use zip tie or similar to hold out of way.
4. Remove brake caliper bolts (2) and parking brake bolts (2) and slip off of brake rotor.
5. Remove 3 brake line/brake cable mounts/hangers and you can carefully move brake caliper and parking brake out of way.
6. Remove swingarm cover by removing hex bolt.
7. Remove 2 swingarm bolts exposed by removing above cover.
8. Remove axle bolt and remove swingarm and spacer paying attention to orientation of spacer.
9. Slide wheel off of axle and you are done.

Reinstall  in opposite order using torque wrench and following guides for use of lube and loctite on specific locations.

Removal of the wheel was easy, dismounting the tire was not so easy, don't remember my Reflex being so tough to get off.  Did that at work but by hand and don't remember fighting it that much. Finally ended up just using a reciprocating saw to just cut the tire off. Mounting the new tire was pretty easy too.  Hopefully the front one comes off much easier. Didn't realize just how badly feathered the rear tire was until I had it off to inspect
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 10:33 am

A good quality wheel bearing grease will be satisfactory.<<<<<<>>>> If you can find it Honda's Molly that's a 60%Moly grease / paste excellent stuff that lasts and lasts. I used it for years on all my Wings, not all dealers carry it and some have no clue when you ask for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I change a rear tire, easily?   How do I change a rear tire, easily? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I change a rear tire, easily?
Page 1 of 1