Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Center Stand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Center Stand

Go down 
+5
MikeO
Opalsboy
exavid
dspevack
honda_silver
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 11:09 am

I am 6ft.2in and weigh 195lbs. I have a problem getting the Wing up on the rear stand.
If my saddle bags are on, forget about it.
Has any one made any modifications or improvements that can help? Center Stand Smile_sarcastic
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:00 pm

John Dunten wrote:
I am 6ft.2in and weigh 195lbs. I have a problem getting the Wing up on the rear stand.
If my saddle bags are on, forget about it.
Has any one made any modifications or improvements that can help? Center Stand Smile_sarcastic

1) No modification - Larger rear tire
The Darkside tire is a taller tire which makes mounting/demounting from center stand much easier

2) Center stand modification
http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=21848#pid21848

3) Practice and/or process?
Do you stand and put your full weight on the stand??
Do you put your right hand on the grab rail and pull up at same time??
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 1:22 pm

In the link bill gave above, it goes to a thread that has links of its own to pictures.
Unfortunately those links go to a group of albums rather than directly to the picture. You need to look in the album "Paul's Modifications" or use this direct link:
http://paulscooter.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=1642301

Paul has done a lot of great mods to his bike, and is usually willing to help out a fellow S'winger with answers to intelligent questions.

Dan
Back to top Go down

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Thank you. I remember loking at this some time back. The only thing I got out of it wes to change the rear tire. Or did I miss something?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 2:52 pm

What Paul Did was to cut down the centerstand height,
so the stand would be down at the same time both wheels were on the ground. This gives it the extra stability

Changing to a higher profile tire means that the stand can go farther down before it meets the ground so you don't have to lift the bike as far.

Both solve the problem of stability. You need to ask yourself if you are willing to switch to a car (dark side) tire to do this. You will find people to champion both sides of this debate. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Only your choice.

If however your goal of putting it on a center stand is to do maintenance work on the rear tire area, shortening the center stand will not work.

Some people roll their bike onto plywood or other item which will increase the bikes height under the rear wheel in the same way the dark side tire will, and you don't have to change tires if you don't want to.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:58 pm

dspevack wrote:
Both solve the problem of stability. You need to ask yourself if you are willing to switch to a car (dark side) tire to do this. You will find people to champion both sides of this debate. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Only your choice.

Or locate a taller motorcycle tire that fits on the SWing rim. I do not know if any exist.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:10 pm

I think it's more technique than strength or weight. The most important thing is to make sure both the feet on the center stand are on the ground before trying to raise the scooter up. Lightly press the stand down with your right foot while holding the left handlebar and passenger grab rail. While pressing the stand down rock the bike sideways until you can feel both stand feet on the ground then put your weight on the stand and lift on the grab rail while leaning left a bit. I don't have any problem with my SW and my weight is about 170lbs. It takes the same technique with my 880lb Goldwing but it comes up on the center stand with similar effort. We have had some folks on the GW forums having problems getting the big Wing on the stand but usually once they get the hang of it, it's easy.
Back to top Go down

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Off the top of my head, I am thinking it would be even better if the foot peg were larger. ? What do you think?

What you say makes plenty of sense. I will try the move next time.
Thank you for your quick response.
Your friend John
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

I'm guessing that by "foot peg" you really mean the part you put your foot on to push the center stand down. I always think of foot pegs as what you put your feet on when you ride.

If by "better", you mean "easier", only if you have problems finding the sweet spot of where to put your foot. Changing the size of the "foot peg" will not change the leverage pivot points nor the distribution of weight on the center stand.

There is a huge discussion of tires on the other board about what tires and sizes work and don't. I don't know enough about it to provide an educated discussion on the subject.

Dan
Back to top Go down

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 6:13 pm

As exavid said , It is 90% technique. Brute strength won't really help but maybe give you a hernia. When I first got my SWing I also had some trouble but with practice it's a snap now.
Back to top Go down

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 7:37 pm

Great that helps alot. NOW. what is your 90% technique? Center Stand Icon_question
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 pm

John
I began my Swing career with the same problem you are having. I actually dropped my scoot a couple of times before I got it up the first time. I am a kinda big (fat) guy. I am 6' 230 lbs. Doesn't help to be big. As others are saying... it is just a little technique... easier on a flat surface. Maybe even a little easier if the front of the bike is downhill just a little. I suggest you find a flat surface, get a friend to stand by with you to help steady the scoot at first and just practice. It is amazing how easy this will get to be. The technique that works for me is step 3 in Honda Bills post above. Keeping the front wheel straight is another part of the procedure. Practice practice practice.
BTW Some riders have more trouble getting off the center stand than getting the scoot up.
Hope this helps and I also hope this is the biggest problem you ever have with you Swing.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:40 am

Keeping the front wheel straight is another part of the procedure.

I straighten the bars then let go of them (although sometimes resting my finger-tips on the LH grip to keep them straight - definitely not holding it) before standing on the lever, holding on to the LH grab-rail with my right hand and heaving up on it.
I suspect that not leaning forward to hold the bars puts all my weight on the stand.
If, as exavid says, you make sure both stand feet are on the ground before pulling, it's far less likely the bike will fall over. It certainly won't fall away from you.

I include the 'surprise it' technique; a sudden heave rather than a slow, deliberate pull. (This also works for subborn nuts and screws!)
Back to top Go down

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 7:09 am

As others have said, just a light grip on the left hand grip,putting my weight on the center stand, and a pull back on the passenger hand rail. Practice. It,s really simple.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am

One other thing I would suggest after getting the SWing up on the centerstand.

Put your left hand on the handle bar and the right hand on the hand rail ... then test the stability of the centerstand by by very lightly pushing away from you and then lightly pulling to you.

You should not be trying to push/pull off the stand ... but checking the stability of the centerstand on the pavement. I do this test all the time and one time and it did not feel as it did normally and the SWing dropped off the centerstand (from a small irregularity in the black top) ... so do not let go until you have completed the test. If the SWing does not feel normal and solid ... drop the centerstand and reposition the SWing otherwise the SWing could prematurely drop by wind, movement or light bump.
Back to top Go down
BlueSwing06
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BlueSwing06

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:06 am

I found that it helps if you are facing in the direction your Swing is pointing. I hold onto the Left grip with my left hand and grab the grab bar of the winf with my right hand. Gently lower the stand to seat both feet firmly onto the ground. I then rotate to my left to face in the direction my swing is pointing while pressing down on the center stand I have found I dont need to pull up with much force on the wings grab bar. This way it makes more of a stepping backwards then straight down. Just pushing straight down means you have to lift more of the weight. Stepping backwards allows for more of a rocking motion to bring the Swing onto its center stand. Just my 2 cents....
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 5:48 am

BlueSwing06,

You describe it pretty much the way it works. It really doesn't require brute strength. It's all about leverage and balance.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:44 pm

I think everyone has told you about the same thing. If you follow their directions you should not have any problem raising the Swing.

I will add two things - be sure that the parking brake is not on. It will not raise if the brake is on because the rear tire needs to be able to roll forward.

Also, when raising the Swing, stand on the left side of the bike, left hand on the left grip, right hand on the pass. grab rail. Put your right foot on the center stand peg and feel for the ground. Once you feel that both sides of the center stand are down, then take your left foot completely off the ground as you transfer your weight to the right foot (on the CS peg). If you try to stand on your left foot and push with your right, it probably will not be enough to raise the bike.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:51 pm

The parking brake advice is correct, except that both wheels have to roll BACKWARDS a bit. Center Stand Icon_redface
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 pm

That's the way to get the SW up on the center stand easily alright. It's funny but I find my nearly 900lb. Goldwing easier to get on the center stand than the Silverwing. It's because the foot lever for the stand is a lot more out in the open on the big Wing than on the Silverwing. With the SW you can just get your toe on the thing until it's lowered then you have to slide the rest of your foot forward on it. On the GW the lever sticks right out so you can easily get the ball of your foot on it much easier. The big Wing does take a bit more pressure though. Some times if I've been riding the Goldwing a lot my Silverwing jumps back a couple inches on the smooth garage floor when I put it up on the stand. At least I don't have the problem of grabbing for the clutch on the SW anymore, I can switch from one to the other with no difficulty. No more trying to do a stoppie with the SW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Center Stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center Stand   Center Stand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Center Stand
Page 1 of 1