Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Mighty Mouse Today at 4:47 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Today at 1:29 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Center stand I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Center stand

Go down 
+11
Meldrew
steve_h80
SteveSilverWing
janitorj1
cotetoi
The Bern
Easyrider
Cosmic_Jumper
Dale N.
Jolly Bodger
lewjayjr
15 posters
AuthorMessage
lewjayjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-11-02

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 8:42 pm

My previous bike was a 94 Honda Pacific Coast and I could get it up on the center stand fairly easy. Have tried to get the Swing up and can't quite get it up. I have the trunk on mine but when I'm trying to hold the stand down with one foot, balance on the other and pull up on the side grips, I can't quite get up up and back. Any hints on doing this. I'm leary of getting over balanced and dropping the bike.
Thanks for any help and Merry Christmas!
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 pm

My way (I'm only 5' 3") - Left hand on handlebar right hand on passenger grip, right foot on centre stand. Push centre stand down making sure both centre stand legs are touching the ground, move left hand to passenger grip while keeping the majority of your weight on your right foot. Now pull up with both hands and put your full weight on the right foot and that should be enough to lift it onto the stand.

The only bit you need to be careful with is when you move your left hand to the passenger grip but provided you keep enough weight on your right foot it wont over balance.

Hope that helps.

JB
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 10:46 pm

I do the same but keep my hand on the handlebar. I don't trust myself enough to let go and grab the passenger grip. I push down hard on the passenger grip and sort of bounce it up. Sometimes it takes one or two tries but I do get it up.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Some Silverwings seem noticeably more difficult to put up on the centerstand. My '03 was easy, my '09 is a bear --and I am no lightweight. There doesn't seem to be any physical reason why one would be easy while another is difficult. There is no change in the frame or centerstand.

The only way I'm able to get my Silverwing up on the stand is to "rock" it back a couple of times once both centerstand legs are contacting the ground. The momentum seems to do the trick for me. YMMV

Tim
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 2:19 am

I am 5ft 6in and 140lbs, yet I have no problems lifting it on the center stand. I first put the bike on the side stand, straighten the handlebars with my left hand. Balance the bike while stepping on the arm of the center stand. Find the balance point where both legs of the center stand are touching the ground. Now holding the passenger bar, push down on the arm of the center stand. Do not try to lift the bike. Use the passenger bar to apply pressure to the arm of the center stand. The bike will slide backwards about 8 inches and settle on the center stand. I have lifted 2002, 2004, 2009, and 2013 Swings with no problems. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 4:38 am

Mine became a LOT easier to raise after taking the stand off, cleaning the surface rust of the pivot points & greasing them.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 11:02 am

Until I learned the proper technique I felt like I was wrestling a bear, and losing every time. I am 5'3" and 155 lbs, and I thought this task was beyond me.
There is one thing I learned: do not attempt to lift the bike in your slippers or flip flops. Your riding boots will do, sneakers are iffy. If you want more secure purchase on the foot hold, get a 2" square of 1/4" steel welded on. Your right foot will thank you.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
lewjayjr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2017-11-02

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks all for the hints. I'll just have to try again.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 11:38 am

Love the 2" square of 1/4 steel welded on. I'm off to the shop.

Jon
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi lewjayjr

Me method is very similar to Easyrider's. Here's how I do it:

When not riding and parked, I usually leave my Swing on the side stand.  

1) When I'm ready to leave and want to warm the engine, I'll put the key in the ignition and turn clockwise one click to release the front fork lock.
2) Then, while the side stand is still down (just in case), I'll straighten the steering with both handlebars.
3) From there, I'll let go of the right handlebar and and grab the left passenger grip all the while balancing the Swing.
4) I'll then use my right foot to lower the center stand making sure that both legs touch the ground still keeping my right foot in place.
5) Then, making sure I'm NOT holding the left handlebar brake, I'll pull back, and voila, it's on the center stand.

Early on, I occasionally made the mistake of slightly holding the left handlebar brake (rear) which makes putting my Swing on the center stand next to impossible.

Hope that helps.

Merry Christmas!  santa

Steve

PS I had to go out there and perform this center stand task to get all the steps right since it is now automatic muscle memory that takes control. Smile
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 3:49 pm

As above, and once both sides of the stand are on the ground I transfer all my weight onto the stand and up she comes, sometimes with a gentle right hand tug on the pillion seat.

Errrr, have I just said to get it up give it a gentle right hand tug???
Am I about to get banned :-)
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 21, 2017 6:47 pm

Steve h80, the ban is not applied for technical information. Getting it up is definitely technical.
As for getting off, I mean getting the SWing off the centerstand, leave rear the brake lever alone until that split second when the bike has totally rolled off the stand. If you apply the brake too soon, it engages the front brake which prevents the front wheel from rolling and you have a bike that's hung up. You'll have to time it just right and DON'T give the SWing any room to roll or else.....
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2017 4:56 am

The topic of hauling a Silver Wing onto it's centre/center stand has been discussed many times before.

In fact there's a list of previous topics going way back to 2009. A quick Search for topics with the word 'stand' and quite a long list appears. It covers both the centre and side stand, that old chestnut about the pros and cons of disabling the side stand cut out switch, and other stand related matters.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2017 9:04 am

Thank you for that outstanding information, Uncle Meldrew
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 am

I've NEVER had any trouble putting my SWing on the side stand...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2017 11:09 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Thank you for that outstanding information, Uncle Meldrew

That's OK, I don't have a problem with my Silver Wing even with a fully loaded top box, tunnel bag and soft luggage. Mind you I did have two years of lifting a big lardass 650 Burgman on and off it's centre stand.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2017 5:46 pm

I have no problem, I just get off. The rear wheels are my stand. chickendance
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 22, 2017 10:31 pm

ItBeMe wrote:
I have no problem, I just get off. The rear wheels are my stand.  chickendance

Do you have a trike? What kit do you have on it? I'm still waiting to get mine back from the shop with a Motor Trike Kit on it.

How do you like it compared to two wheels?
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 1:48 am

I've had a few bikes including a Goldwing that were difficult to get up on the centerstand. A bit of cleaning up the pivots on the stand and giving them a good shot of lubricant reduces the effort signifcantly.
My GT won't allow one to keep the sidestand down while going up or down from the centerstand. When the sidestand is down it puts on the parking brake. Handy to prevent a bike from rolling forward off the stand but not a big help when using the centerstand. My Silver Wings were also easier to get up on the centerstand, they are a good bit lighter than the GT.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 6:43 am

Dale N. wrote:
ItBeMe wrote:

Do you have a trike? What kit do you have on it? I'm still waiting to get mine back from the shop with a Motor Trike Kit on it.

Yes I have a trike and love it. Do to health it was trike or no ride. At this age a trike is the only way to go.

I would post a picture but I don't have a Harvard degree. But there are pictures on this site some where.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 6:01 pm

I have also joined the trike group. I triked my 2009 Swing back in mid October and absolutely love it!! I triked mine for the same reason as ItBeMe, knee replacement surgery and other knee is needing the surgery now.

I have never posted a picture on this website, followed the directions that Jeff R posted, not sure this will work but here goes anyway.

https://www.silverwing600.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-2wheelgal/imghttps-iimgurcom-8m84QAAjpg-img-002-pic_2177.htm
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Very impressive conversion, 2WheelGal! Great color, too! Thanks for sharing it.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 24, 2017 8:54 am

I can't wait to get my SWing Trike conversion back from the shop so I can at least look at it and sit on it and go Vroom Vroom and wait for warm weather.

Very nice looking SWing 2WheelGal! Thanks for the photo.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2017 10:42 am

ItBeMe, at 73 I beg to differ "at this age trike is the only way to go". I was out yesterday as weather was not too bad, just seventy odd miles but, a bit of rain never bothered me. I was the only one on two wheels apart from two other bikes I saw.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 25, 2017 1:20 pm

ItBeMe wrote:
Dale N. wrote:
ItBeMe wrote:

Yes I have a trike and love it. Do to health it was trike or no ride. At this age a trike is the only way to go.

I would post a picture but I don't have a Harvard degree. But there are pictures on this site some where.  

You don't really need a Harvard degree. A Yale degree will work just fine...
Sorry, I couldn't help it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Center stand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Center stand   Center stand I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Center stand
Page 1 of 1