Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10

Go down 
+2
tankyuong
JeffR
6 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 Empty
PostSubject: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Edited 2-8-10 PLEASE READ THE NEW INFORMATION

Hi All,

I put in some wrong info when I posted this the first time. The 2 screws I took pictures of are not the "idle adjustment" but fuel mixture adjustments. The Idle Adjustment Screw is in between the "2 screws" but forward about 2". Please see the pic below that I'm posting with this.

Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 Pictur16

If you look throught this hole you will see the idle screw in the location of the front circle in the picture above. When I was reading the manual of where the idle screw was, it said to look through this hole and you will see the screw. Well when I did that these are the only screws I saw so I thought that these were the idle screws. Well I found out that they are for the mixture and not idle. It just so happens to have adjusted the idle rpm's because I was adjusting the mixture. I think when I adjusted mine I made it run "richer" . I thought I was smelling fuel but haven't had the chance to ride it a lot due to the rain.

But I went out today and let if warm up good and then I put the screws back to where they were, or as close as I thought they were. I remember I turned each screw about 3/4 of a turn. So I turned them back to where they were before and then I saw the Idle screw and raised my idle. It does seem to run/idle a bit better. I also noticed my gas mileage went down a few miles per gallon, after the first time I adjusted the idle, so maybe that is why.

I want to apologize for the wrong information. When I went out the first time and looked down, the 2 screws were the only screws I saw. But after finding out that these weren't the idle screws I went back out and played around and found it. What happened was that a rubber hose was inbetween the hole and the idle screw and it was blocking me from seeing it. So I gently pushed it over and saw the screw.

The "Idle Screw" is silver and can be adjusted with a phillips or standard screwdriver. The 2 screws that I thought were the idle screws are "Copper" looking. So if you went by my instructions please go out and re-do what you did. I hope you can remember about how much you turned the 2 screws. You can then adjust the idle with properly.

Again, I apologize and hope you can put it back to normal.

Thanks,

JeffR

Hi,

I went out and adjusted my idle today and thought I would take 2 pictures to show what I did. I consulted the manual to find the idle adjuster screws. There are 2 of them.

Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 Pictur10

The picture above just shows the cotter pin on the "shock" that holds the seat up. Just remove the Cotter Pin so you can remove the "shock" from the top bracket. This will allow you to push the seat up farther to get more room to work. It is very easy but be careful since it could fly somewhere and you could lose it, or it could fall down one of the openings inside the SWing.

Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 Pictur11

You will see 2 Idle Adjustment screws, I have circles around them in the above picture, that need to be turned. I turned each one the same amount or at least as close as possible. I turned these "Counter-Clockwise" to raise the idle rpm's. My rpm's were about 1,000-1,100 when fully warmed up and when I tried to start the bike after it was running I had to give it throttle to keep it running. So I put it up to 1,300-1,400 rpm's and it seems a bit smoother at idle now.

I used the manual to find these screws and they were really the only ones I could find so I assume they are the idle adjusters, since everything worked good and did exactly what I wanted. It is probably the easiest adjustment to do on the SWing, which is why there are only 2 pictures.

Last edited by JeffR on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks , now my engine wont cut out anymore
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 3:09 pm

You did it again. You are a real pro. Thanks.

p.s. Do you think it safe to try the adjustment with the engine running? Or did you have it off?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 3:26 pm

Tom,

You need to do it with the engine running. I just looked at my tach while adjusting it.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 3:32 pm

u p tom wrote:
You did it again. You are a real pro. Thanks.

p.s. Do you think it safe to try the adjustment with the engine running? Or did you have it off?

Honda Service Manual says:

* Inspect and adjust the idle speed after other maintenance items have been performed an are within specification.
* The engine must be warm for accurate idle speed inspection and adjustment.

Warm up the engine.
Place the scooter on the centerstand.

Unlock the seat with the ignition key.
Open the seat.

Turn the throttle stop screw as required to obtain the specified idle speed.

IDLE SPEED: 1,300 +- 100 min (rpm)

The best way to obtain the specified idle speed should be with the engine running. If you start and stop the SWing the additional starting fuel mixture could effect the idle RPM ... and you would have to wait longer to determine what the idle RPM would be.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I just edited my original post since I gave incorrect information. Please read the very first post I made in this thread. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:15 am

So is the adjustment one or two screws to turn?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 am

The Idle screw is only one screw. The 2 screws in my initial post is for the mixure. The idle screw is silver and the 2-mixture screws are copper colored.
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks Jeff, now we know what all 3 screw control. All your info is greatly appreciated...Dick
Back to top Go down
renagade
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Fast idle   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 3:29 pm

As I wrote in my first post my idle is 2000 rpm and no amount of adjustment on that screw will make it faster or slower.Honda want me to put a new throttle body on at £500.00.Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

Other than idling at 2000rpm is the engine running fine and throttling as expected?

Just throwing some ideas out...

It could just be the fast idle unit which is a wax filled device, its connected the throttle body and some water hoses. Maybe that's stuck on?

Air leak between the throttle body and engine?

Check the vacuum hoses, could they be connected wrongly after some work?

Maybe the throttles need balancing? At this stage I'd be twiddling the balance screws to see if they had any effect, just note of the number of turns so that you can put them back.

You may have to rip the air box off to can see that each throttle butterfly does open and close fully.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 pm

I posted a recent reply in renegades original thread on this subject Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10   Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!!  2-9-10 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Idle Adjustment (PLEASE READ) !!! 2-9-10
Page 1 of 1