Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 9:08 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby gustav Today at 7:58 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kuryakyn ISO Grips?

Go down 
+2
thomphoto
matthew
6 posters
AuthorMessage
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

Kuryakyn ISO Grips? Empty
PostSubject: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:17 pm

Is anyone using these? If so, does the Universal model (6241) work on the Swing? AND...........of course..........DO YOU LIKE THEM? AND.......how hard/easy is the installation process?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 9:45 pm

I have had them for 2 years, and I would not do without them.
They are so much more comfortable than the stock because of the size. They are not difficult to install. Get the ones for the 7/8 inch bars.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 6:49 am

I bought a pair last summer and find them very good. The universal set (6241) is the correct model for the swing. Handlebar bar size for the swing is 7/8". Very easy to install. Hardest thing was taking old ones off. I just put a thin flat screwdriver under the old ones to release the glue. I ended up buying the Kuryakan bar end weights to complement the anti vibration qualities. Not really necessary but the weights removed all the vibration I found on my handlebars.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 pm

My GW1500 has had Kuryakyn ISO grips (and ISO highway pegs) for several years now. I really like them. The optional throttle boss takes a lot of effort out of holding a steady speed on the road by relieving most of the grip effort your hand must exert to hold the throttle. The grips themselves are fairly heavy and damp vibration.
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 3:34 pm

I have the Kuryakyn ISO grips and I like them. I also have the throttle boss. The larger diameter of the ISOs is much more comfortable, especially on longer rides. With the smaller grips my hands would cramp up after a certain amount of time.

Installation is easy. To remove the stock grips, remove the bar end weights and lift up the end of the grip with a screwdriver. Spray some WD-40 between the grip and the handle bar. Work your way down the grip as the adhesive loosens up. Soon you will be able to pull it off.

Just install the new Kuryakyns with your choice of adhesive. Be careful not to get adhesive between the throttle and the handle bar. I found the left handlebar to be quite a bit smaller and the gap between the ISO grips and the bar was too large to get a good bond. I had to wrap some tape around the handlebar to take up some of the gap.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks all for your replies and sharing of your experiences with the grips. Seems to be a unanimous agreement on a thumbs up for these things. And I appreciate the instructions on removing the stock grips, and on installing the
ISO's.

Now, will I win the auction on ebay for a new pair now bid up to $6.06 plus $10 shipping? Stay tuned.......................................................
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 pm

If you have an air compressor it's easy to remove grips. Just put a blast of air into the handlbar or between the grip and the bar and normally the grip will pop right off. I use compressed air to expand the grip while pushing it on. That way you don't really need glue. A good glue if you need it is hair spray, works good and doesn't make a mess and it's easy to clean off if it gets where you don't want it.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks for the tips. I read that the original "throttle sleeve" is re-used inside the ISO grip. How does this work?
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 4:57 pm

I've been finding the vibes through the bars a bit wearing after a couple of hours and feel that some better grips could help with more diam as well as a bit more damping material. There are no Kuryakyn Iso outlets here in the UK that I can see and they are so damned expensive anyway... !! Sad

Possible alternatives anyone please?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 5:03 pm

Grip Puppies - work for me and are sooooooo cheap! Smile

http://www.sportouring.com/gallery.php?sectionHeaderActive=100&rangeChoosen=353

7/8ths ones fit the Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2011 7:10 pm

I ultimately went with Grip Puppies also and I'm happy with them. On the throttle grip, I put the Grip Puppy on over another foam slip-on grip for extra bulk and thickness, and I like that too.

I also have glued pieces of foam shoe insole - the cheaper versions of Dr. Scholl's - into the inside palm of my gloves, and this has made for a great improvement in vibration reduction and hand discomfort reduction.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 3:06 am

MikeO wrote:
Grip Puppies - work for me and are sooooooo cheap! Smile

http://www.sportouring.com/gallery.php?sectionHeaderActive=100&rangeChoosen=353

7/8ths ones fit the Silverwing.

Cheers Mike, ordered straight away!! Smile

Last edited by steveR on Sat May 14, 2011 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitimeSat May 14, 2011 3:08 am

matthew wrote:
I ultimately went with Grip Puppies also and I'm happy with them. On the throttle grip, I put the Grip Puppy on over another foam slip-on grip for extra bulk and thickness, and I like that too.

I also have glued pieces of foam shoe insole - the cheaper versions of Dr. Scholl's - into the inside palm of my gloves, and this has made for a great improvement in vibration reduction and hand discomfort reduction.

The trouble with thicker gloves is that I find I lose "feel" and am not keen on it. I can remember years ago I had a Yam IT175H enduro bike that was truly awful for vibes, I had to wear special gloves like you use with a jackhammer!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakyn ISO Grips?   Kuryakyn ISO Grips? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kuryakyn ISO Grips?
Page 1 of 1