Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Crampbuster

Go down 
+8
Greysilver
hardee41
model28a
bigbird
Meldrew
john grinsel
JeffR_
uffbros
12 posters
AuthorMessage
uffbros
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-05-25

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 3:41 pm

I just bought a 2004 Silverwing with 7400 miles on it. Got it for a good price and love it. My hand goes numb after a few miles and I don't feel I'm squeezing too tight. I went to the Crampbuster site and I even measured my throttle but want to make sure on which size and skinny vs wide to get. Which one should I get? The CB1...CB2...CB3 or CB4 and which width? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Welcome to the site and congrats on your new SWing. You may also want to think about 'Grip ons" that just slide over your existing grips. They make it nicer to grip and also help with the slight vibrations that come through the grips. The stock grips are too thin for many of us and the Grip-Ons do a good job. Sorry I can't help you with the Crampbuster but you may want to try the Grips-Ons, or other grips, before you try the Crampbuster. Just my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
uffbros
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 4:25 pm

google doesn't find much on these by that name. Is that a brand name or just a generalized term? Can you point me to the manufacturer? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 4:49 pm

Sorry, I made a mistake. They are called "Grab Ons".

http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/productpage.aspx?productid=3036

I can't remember where I ordered mine but you can order them just about anywhere.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 5:36 pm

They are advertised in most motorcycle magazines. Probably better solution is Nep throttle stop from Aerostich/Riderware house. Around $20, I use mine all the time.set up takes a little time/mod on SilverWing,including taking hand grip off, cutting, drilling hole hole in NEP, securing for straight line operation=smooth operation.....nylon tie Safe as amount of friction can be adjusted with set screw. AND to think bikes used to come with a way to adjust grip friction---BMW/HD/ Triumph many years ago Harley had so much friction in their Bowden wire set up, throttle would not fly back.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Grap On Grips/ Grip Puppies etc, are just glorified lengths of foam pipe insulation and they're rubbish. I agree the Silver Wing stock grips are on the thin side, but fitting those useless tubes of foam are of no benefit at all unless you have hands like coal shovels.

They also prevent at least 80% of the warmth from heated grips getting through to your hands. That might not be a problem if you have a six months riding season and don't ride in cold weather. I was daft enough to buy and fit a pair after reading recommendations for them on here. I removed mine after a couple of weeks.  Mad
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 6:21 pm

For cramp busters, my wife swore by Tylenol Extra Strength. They always got rid of her cramps.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 7:48 pm

I hate the thin small stock grips but I also hate the big fat aftermarket grips allot of people use.
I think the GRIP PUPPIES are the best answer for me. I wouldn't be without them, the best $9.80 part on my scooter. But as you can see by reading the posts above they're not for everyone. As for the Cramp Busters I found a different brand (I can't remember the name brand) that is made of rubber instead of plastic. It's probably the smallest kind out there and if you need I can find out the brand. When I used the Cramp Buster name brand I liked the smallest one they make. The handle bars on the Silverwing are 7/8", you need to know this for whatever brand you choose.
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Grips   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2014 8:29 pm

I too bought "Grab Ons".Easy on; like them a lot. harley

http://aviciouscycle.ca/MainPages/productpage.aspx?productid=3036

Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 1:41 am

I had a cramp buster (#2) on my VTX for a short time. Actually it was in the way more than it was an advantage. I think you need the smaller one for the Swing. I didn't care for the foam sleeves either. This was a few years ago and the ones I had were so slick one couldn't grip with out using much more hand pressure. Fatigue was much worse.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 2:31 am

I recommend the NEP Cruise Control, which is actually a throttle locking mechanism. All it does is hold the throttle for you. Your cursing speed is determined on the wind and road grade. My 2002 Swing is most effected by the road grade. It slows down substantially when going up hill, and speeds up a lot when going down hill. You lock/unlock it with your right thumb. You also set it where you are able to over power the friction of the lock to reduce or increase your speed.
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 11:06 am

Started with the Crampbuster and have been using it on all my scoots including the SW - I prefer the wide version and have not found it to be in the way now - would remove it if someone not familiar with it wanted to ride my scoot because it does take some experience to be comfortable with it.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 1:03 pm

I thought the thing I've been using for years was called a cramp buster. It is a circular peice of plastic that you slide over the throttle grip it has an extended section that you can rest the ball of your thumb against, the friction of the grip against the throttle holds it steady in whatever position you choose. You can move it from bike to bike very easily. I had it on my Deauville for years. Smile 
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 4:34 pm

Greysilver wrote:
I didn't care for the foam sleeves either. This was a few years ago and the ones I had were so slick one couldn't grip with out using much more hand pressure. Fatigue was much worse.

What brand were the foam sleeves you tried ? The Grip Puppies are not slick at all. They give more grip than the stock grips. But like I said before some people love them and some people hate them. As for a throttle lock I use a Vista Cruise, I got it for $5 on a marked down bin. It is basically the same as the NEP Cruise Control.
Back to top Go down
uffbros
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 6:28 pm

model28a wrote:
I hate the thin small stock grips but I also hate the big fat aftermarket grips allot of people use.
I think the GRIP PUPPIES are the best answer for me. I wouldn't be without them, the best $9.80 part on my scooter. But as you can see by reading the posts above they're not for everyone. As for the Cramp Busters I found a different brand (I can't remember the name brand) that is made of rubber instead of plastic. It's probably the smallest kind out there and if you need I can find out the brand. When I used the Cramp Buster name brand I liked the smallest one they make. The handle bars on the Silverwing are 7/8", you need to know this for whatever brand you choose.  

Could I put on the grip puppies and also get the crampbuster over that then? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 7:04 pm

I have used a Crampbuster on my SW for nearly two years. Is it great? No, but it is CHEAP and allows me to flex my hands from time to time which helps greatly. Have taken several 1000+ miles with it and it helps.

That said I REALLY prefer the full cruise control system on my Goldwing 1800. Too bad Honda does not make a similar system for the SW. I would cough up the shekels for that!  Laughing 
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2014 10:17 pm

uffbros wrote:

Could I put on the grip puppies and also get the crampbuster over that then? Thanks.

Yes you can. Some people move their Crampbuster around a lot and if you do, the Grip
Puppies it's a little harder but it is still easy enough to move on the go. I use this Universal Throttle Boss made by Kuryakyn. It's made of rubber and you stretch it around your grip
and if stays put. You can move it but with force.     Crampbuster 6251-3.jpg
If you look in the picture below you can see a ridge on the outside
edge. I don't know why it's there but on long rides it bothers my
hand. I just cut it off smooth. I like it and the Grip Puppies enough  that
when I bought my 07 Wing last month I had a new Grip Puppies
and a new Kuryakyn throttle boss already in my garage.
Crampbuster 6251-1.jpg
The throttle boss sticks out only about one inch so it doesn't get in the
way like the Crampbuster can.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2014 6:30 am

Any of this add on stuff, including grips needs to be so arranged that the bike can be safety operated under all conditions---I see chrome/foam grips on Cruisers-- hands slip in rain?? Oh, I forgot these types don't ride in rain.

I find a good dealer has a selection of open end 7/8" grips you can replace the OEM grips with. People who do not ride a lot or far are usually the one with the pain. 2 Aspirin can help,too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crampbuster Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crampbuster   Crampbuster I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crampbuster
Page 1 of 1