Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Might be going back to a Silverwing!

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
Meldrew
exavid
7 posters
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Might be going back to a Silverwing! Empty
PostSubject: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 12:40 am

I've enjoyed my BMW C650GT scooter but have put it up on Craigslist for sale. I've decided I don't any longer need it's features and weight. My arthritis has become more of a problem this past year and I think a lighter scooter, but one with good highway performance will fit my needs now. I wouldn't mind one with a lower seat either. So it seems to be time for me to go back to one of the maxi scooters that got me to give up my Goldwing.

I've got a nice Silverwing I'm interested in here and if my BMW sells before that one does I'm coming back into the fold.

One of my gripes about BMW both with the scooter and the two K1100LTs I've owned is that it's harder to get parts and manuals for everything made by BMW. Honda manuals are easy to come by on Helm Inc. The Silverwing is definitely easier to work on as well.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 am

The Silver Wing isn't that much lighter than the BMW C650 GT, it's only around 30lbs. I didn't feel much of a weight difference getting back on my Silver Wing after going out on the latest C650 GT on a BMW Motorrad Test Day here in Yorkshire last year.

The main differences I felt were that it lacked the wind and weather protection of my Silver Wing on the cold, damp, and windy day I rode it, even with it's electric height adjustable screen.

Getting back on my Silver Wing to ride home was a much more comfortable and enjoyable affair.

Not long after that I decided to downsize to the Forza I have now, and one of the nicest features of it apart from riding a small capacity maxi equipped with all the latest bells and whistles, is that it's 140lbs lighter than the Silver Wing.

Given that hauling a Silver Wing on and off it's main/centre stand is a problem for some, and topics about it on here prove that. If you no longer want the weight of a heavy maxi scooter, why go back to a Silver Wing?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 6:55 am

The weight and balance(loaded for touring) of the Silverwing had started to bother me --age--80 now after 2 new ones....and that the Silverwing is no longer a current model, factor,too.

I am happy with my 2019 Kymco XTown 300i ABS, price/weight/performance and much easier to work on than either Honda or Suzuki scooters. Puig makes nice windshield topped with Laminar Lip added that provides nice comfort/protection, Givi E-46 box bolts on direct to rear wing without carrier. Like Honda Helix 1 qt. oil supply/no filter----WalMart 10-40 works well.------I do see day where something like Kymco Like 200 might work better for me.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 7:55 am

The Silver Wing's weight was only ever an issue for me when loaded up for touring, especially when I had a tunnel bag fitted and if I'd bought stuff to take home. I'd occasionally have to have a second go hauling it onto the stand.

My decision to stop touring using a tunnel bag a few years ago was a good one for me. I got fed up with the inconvenience of clambering over it to get on and off the scooter, and having to remove and reattach it at fuel stops.

As I've now got used to touring without one, I wouldn’t even know if it will fit on the tunnel of the Forza.

Last edited by Meldrew on Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 8:23 am

I don't want to sound like I'm a Trike salesman or anything but have you thought of trikeing out the SWing if you get it Paul? I've got almost 3,000 miles on my Motor Trike and the chain is still nice and tight, meaning that it hasn't stretched any yet. I wipe it off and lube it regularly and so far have had no problems with it. I've only lost about 4-5 mpg with it on the road but a bit more in town with stop and go riding. It will still do Interstate speeds with no problem and handles great. It takes a bit of getting used to but after that it's still great fun to ride. Right now I've got 31,727 miles on it total.
It's just a thought and just my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 2:34 pm

I dont't think I'd like to trike, I just like the twisties too much. The lady I sold my last Silverwing to had it triked and is still riding it. It suits her and she's still very happy with it. Looks good too, they had it painted once the kit was installed.

There are basically two reasons I think I'm doing to get another SW. First is it feels a lot lighter when I ride one. A friend of mine here as a SW and we trade off now and then on rides. The SW is a good bit lower, I have never quite been able to flat foot at stops on my GT while it's easy on the SW. It's easy to get a service manual for the SW, but the only ones available ones for the BMW are at best almost written in English. Honda did a better job on manuals by far.

Both scooters are reliable, both do well on the freeway though I think the BMW has the edge there. The BMW has better acceleration but that's not as important in town. Mostly I prefer the BMW for longer trips but most of my riding for the past couple of years have been mostly errands and local stuff. Physically I'm not up to road trips anymore. If it weren't for old age debilitation I'd still be riding my Goldwing which to me was the epitome of a real highway motorcycle.

But time marches on, I've lost my flight physical due to diabetes so no more airplanes, getting to slow and clumsy to be safe sailing like I use to do; just got to admit these past few years have been hard on the old carcass.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 pm

"time marches on ... just got to admit these past few years have been hard on the old carcass."

The important thing is that you're still riding, and exploring new rides!

I had a gorgeous white Suzuki Burgman 650 with red Corbin seat and sold it for a Silver Wing because the big Burgman was (at my age) a beast to get on the center stand. It's 40 lbs. more than a Silver Wing.

I liked the Wing's simplicity, reliability and ease of changing the belt, which is near-impossible with the B650.

Have you considered a Burgman 400? A quick check shows some nice ones on craigslist in Portland. I was a member of the Burgman forum and lots of owners raved about the 400 -- light, quick, great in the twisties, huge trunk space, easy maintenance and belt change, easy to get a service manual.

It's 60 lbs. less than a Silver Wing. I sat on a new B400 the other day and it felt really, really good. If I hadn't just spent $1,000 to upgrade my Wing I might have gone for it.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello Paul, I bought a 2013 BMW c600 Sport in 2014, traded for a 2014 BMW f800 gt in 2016. I asked the wife if she was going riding with me this year. "No, I cant stand riding on motorcycles, I miss the scooter you had!" So I bought the brand new 2013 Silver Wing and I like it MUCH more than the BMW. For instance, one does not have to remove a panel to check the oil! Paul C.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 8:50 pm

A couple of conveniences on the 650GT scooter was the tire pressure monitor and the oil check. One didn't need to do a manual check of either very often. Didn't the Sport model have those? I looked at a Sport awhile back but didn't like the way the underseat storage worked. Lots more room on the GT.

I think the reason I'll probably go back to the SW is that I have some experience with them. The main reason I got the BMW was because the SW was overloaded with my wife and on it. She doesn't ride anymore due to some surgeries so I don't need the extra weight capacity.

Also the SW is a LOT easier to work on, much easier to get manuals which means a lot to me since I do my own repairs and maintenance. The BMW is a real pain when it comes to draining the oil, it's harder than the SW to get up on the center stand. If I had the money to buy a new one I probably would, they have made some significant improvements on them. But since I have quite a few miles on Silverwings and no problems at all with the two I've owned I think that's were I should go next for my last two wheeler.

One thing about weight, the SW might not be all that much lighter but it has a much lower center of  gravity. You really notice it straddling either one and rocking them from side to side. The GT won't go very far before one gets the feeling any more and it's going to go down. The SW doesn't nearly feel that heavy in that mode.

One thing the scooter I'm looking at that makes if very desirable is ABS. I don't think I ever want a bike without it, unless it has pedals. It's a 2007 with the improved cubbys too.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 pm

Well put Paul, I took the Silver Wing & the BMW f800 gt for a short spin today, I swear I like the Silver Wing better than the gt. S.W. does feel much more nimble then the BMW scooters, imo. You can actually feel the front wheel getting light on occasion, never had that sensation with the c600. Paul C.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 8:20 am

Good luck, Paul. Hope you get your Silver Wing! My only complaint about MY Wing is it is in Arizona and I am in Nevada for the summer... I can only tow one beast up here and the wife will RIDE on the side by side. Bah humbug.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2019 12:13 pm

One point I need to make is that I have had a lot of bikes over the past 60 years and cant say I ever had or have ridden one I didn't like. Including a HD tank shifting 74cu. in. To me they all were fun just that some of them stood out for me. It also depended on the time in my life which fit best. These days in my increasing number of completed Earth orbits I think the SW will suit me best. It won't necessarily be my last, last bike though. Who knows? I just wish Honda hadn't dropped the SW in North America.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Might be going back to a Silverwing!   Might be going back to a Silverwing! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Might be going back to a Silverwing!
Page 1 of 1