Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Engine won't crank

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
lsyorn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2019-02-22

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 3:18 pm

I just purchased (two weeks ago) a new to me 2012 Silverwing. I purchased it from a dealer 220 miles away. I've only had the bike running about 6 times and now it won't crank. When I turn on the key, engage the left brake lever and push the start button all I get is the headlight dimming. The side stand and center stand or both up and the battery reads 12.5 volts with a meter. I have also cycled the kill switch several times. It did this to me yesterday when I got back from the license branch and after trying about 8 times it finally cranked and started fine. Is there any particular problem areas with the electrical on this bike. Any help would be appreciated. Today it won't crank at all

Lloyd in Indianapolis.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 3:34 pm

I would first think battery--- In US "Batteries Plus" can charge and then load test. When running go out and ride 20 miles or so. At home then try starting. End solution maybe new battery.
Back to top Go down
lsyorn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 pm

John....Thank you for the quick reply. I attached one of the lithium jumper packs to the battery and also monitored the voltage with a digital Fluke meter when I pushed the starter button. With the jump pack on and the meter on there was no change in the voltage reading. It was 12.3 volts continuously. The only thing I see is the headlight go out when the button is pushed. I also don't hear anything audible like a relay clicking. Would a battery do this?

Lloyd
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 6:28 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Not sure . Brake switch on left lever needs to be pulled more than enough to light brake light.
Pull it hard and see if problem goes away. When I first bought SW I thought something was wrong not starting-no crank. Brake switch or an adjustment maybe.

Battery connection or loose terminal maybe but lights are on so its getting power. Clean tighten battery connections.

Relay not working will also cause problems.

Back to top Go down
lsyorn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Thanks to all for your help. A neighbor, a very good bike mechanic said just what Mech 1 twa said. Brake switch not contacting on both switches. The upper portion of the switch is intermittent at best. Loosened screws and pushed switch toward actuator. Much better but will order new switch to be sure.
Thanks again for the help.

Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 11:42 am

Sometimes those brake micro switches get corroded or dirty. Spray some contact spray or silicone into the switch. That fixed my previous bike. I actually saw dirt falling out of the switch after spraying. Of course, new switch is probably best cure.

Also, Mech's comment on the hard pull to activate the brake switch seems common on SWings.
Back to top Go down
lsyorn
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Bikehiker...

Thanks for the input. I know from my Goldwing days that most of the switch problems could be fixed with a good soaking with WD40. Now if it would just warm up here in Indianapolis....Currently 12 degrees.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine won't crank Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine won't crank   Engine won't crank I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine won't crank
Page 1 of 1