Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 2:49 am

» New to Me Swing
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS

Go down 
+10
11r150
Meldrew
Modernman1953
john grinsel
Chris Olson
GHM-PM
Tn Traveler
ItBeMe
MikeO
SilverCellist
14 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverCellist
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-08-09

Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Empty
PostSubject: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 11:41 am

Do you really have to spend big bucks for a fancy GIVI mounting bracket and large trunk for my 2004 SWING? 80 bucks for a rear mounting bracket? REALLY? And 1 to 300 clams for a trunk??? Any nice Chinese GIVI clones and or brackets for much less out there? I haven't seen any yet. I had a million options on my Helix for a lot less. Any help is appreciated here. Thanks, Michael.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 am

It's all according; Givi stuff is expensive but very long-lasting.

If my new-to-me latest Silverwing hadn't come with an E52 I'd have kept the one which was on my previous 'Wing.

I'd had that box for more than ten years and it was as good as new.

Earlier in the year I lost one key so purchased for less than £10 a new Givi lock which came with two keys.

The 'new' box will probably see me out.
Back to top Go down
ItBeMe
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2017-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 3:59 pm

I have L cheap O's from off E-bay had never a problem, But if you roll your bike over 3 times at 60mph it will not hold up. Not going to pay big bucks to haul my junk around.
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 6:04 pm

I bought one from ebay $60+/- ==put it on a 200 Aprilla then a 400 Majesty++then
on an 04 Swing and now on the 06 Swing and still using the same mounting bolts.
This past Tuesday the hook on top of the lid fastner broke on a trip on the big road.
Lucky to have a bungee cord -problem solved. When I got home I repaired it with a
piece of alumnium. Important thing it is tight again. No money involved. Anyone needs
a GIVI bracket I got one,
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 pm

On this forum Givi stands supreme!!! Just saying. But their prices are very dear. I use an Emgo trunk on my SWing and have since 2012. Before that it was on my 2009 Kawasaki KLR. It is made of polyethylene instead of hard plastic on others. Cost me about 60 bucks years ago:

https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/travel-trunk-72-32440.p493508.prd/493508.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CjwKCAjwkrrbBRB9EiwAhlN8_DEbplL_moTm9ZgompvCk8cRT4sBbag0AkX_WXlla3fRAVwGteJRZRoC1AwQAvD_BwE&ad=45713337637

It does not have a light kit but most people tell me that is the first trouble area on a Givi and they disconnect them. Never had one so don't know.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 12:06 am

My wife and I have Bestem top cases on ours. We like them and they have lights. They been to Alaska and back so far, and to Sturgis this past week and back. And they're standing up just fine to the abuse on the road.

Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS 100_0110
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 am

I have both Bestem and Givi box's-----Givi now 20 years old and over 500,000 miles on various bikes/scooters. Heavy/strong. When new some of the extra junk fails...lite/document holder/top retension cords. But they are strong, both my boxes have holes cut in the tops for dog to stick head out. Givi has been good investment for me.

My current CB300F has Bestem Box mounted on Hepco & Becker rack from Germany. Bolted solid. I use extra seccurity bolt with both. Paid $40 for the Bestem, Givi in the hundreds. I consider both good investment.

On SilverWing, box can be bolted direct to rear wing, even using the pre-cast starter holes!

I never make use of the quick on/off features of both boxes...my world, easy off/on means can also fall off! They are bolted solid.

Based on price Bestem is good deal.

Hepco & Becker also make top boxes----rode to North Cap in Norway with one----didn't break of fall off.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 2:17 pm

I agree with John.  Bolt on rather than using the mount.  In the past, I would put the mount on and never take the box off, so I have resorted to just bolting them on.

To store it?  It stores pretty well, right on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 3:28 pm

I looked at a display of Bestem top boxes in a motorcycle accessories store a few years ago simply because I'd read about them on here. I can't say I was impressed, and compared to the popular European brands they looked cheap and nasty, similar to the basic budget priced black plastic top boxes for sale on eBay.

I've been using a Givi E52 and E55 for years, I store my helmet in them off the scooter, load 'em up with bags of groceries, and keep my pack of overnight gear in them when using overnight ferries.

It's irrelevant saying a top box has been to various states and countries, so has the rest of the scooter and every thing else you take with you.

You may have had to drill holes and bolt on fibreglass top boxes onto rear racks and carriers donkeys years ago, so why butcher a perfectly serviceable Givi or similar when they clamp and lock onto a rear rack specifically made for them because you're concerned they 'might fall off'. They don't, there's a reassuring click as box latches onto the mounts on the rack and then lock them.

By not drilling unnecessary holes in them you can utilise your Givi top box on your next scooter simply by purchasing the specific mounting kit for it. Those 4 holes drilled specifically for the Silver Wing rear rack aren't going to work on a maxi scooter where you utilise the holes where a backrest has been to mount a rear rack, or have to drill through tupperware using a supplied template.
Back to top Go down
11r150
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2018-07-21

PostSubject: Aftermarket trunk   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 pm

There is a company named Mutazu that sells aftermkt trunks & saddlebags. I had one on my 05 VTX & it lasted for the whole time I owned the bike. Was roughly 100 dollars.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 11:10 am

I have a Bestem box.  Like it for the price, much cheaper than Givi.  Had to make some custom mounting bars out of Aluminum to adapt the curve on the rear rack mount.   And it came in a color that looks like it was painted to match the bike.  

Had a PCX 150 with the factory Honda box.  Can't say that box was head and shoulders above the bestem in terms of quality or sturdiness, but it had to have cost about 5x as much.

Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2016
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2017
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am

EvilTwin wrote:
I have a Bestem box.  Like it for the price, much cheaper than Givi.  Had to make some custom mounting bars out of Aluminum to adapt the curve on the rear rack mount.   And it came in a color that looks like it was painted to match the bike.  

Had a PCX 150 with the factory Honda box.  Can't say that box was head and shoulders above the bestem in terms of quality or sturdiness, but it had to have cost about 5x as much.

Photos of your custom mounting bars, please... please and thank you.

Tim
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
EvilTwin wrote:

Photos of your custom mounting bars, please... please and thank you.

Tim

I didn't take as many pix as I usually do, but here's what I got. I used stainless hardware not the stuff supplied with the box and tapped the aluminum bar so I didn't have to worry about using nuts. Used an anti-seize on the threads.

Drilled underside of mount through
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2023

Test positioned bars
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2022

Shows some of the hand shaping of the underside to match the curve of the mount
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2025

Drilling second set of hole for the box mount plate
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2026

Tapping the bar for the screws
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2024

Mount plate for box installed
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS Img_2021
Back to top Go down
SilverCellist
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2018-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 1:52 pm

Many nice choices, but I need a removeable rear box like my Helix had so I can use it for travel accessories and remove it at night and take it in to the motel when I travel. Most are removable with the key bracket. If I didn't travel, I would bolt it to the bike directly as well. Nice job on the bracket fabrications above, gives me some great ideas. Wow, this forum is starting to pay off nicely with all the knowledgeable folks. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 pm

The Bestem box is removable. Same lock that opens it, secures it to the base, you just dont push on the bar to unlock the base.

The box lets me store the helmet at work or carry home extra groceries from the store. I don't normally worry about it too much if I park the bike. If somebody wants to steal it or its contents, it will come off easily enough with a pry bar. Even the compartment under the seat would be short work with a cro bar. Locks generally keep honest people honest, if a thief wants it, they will get it.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 2:51 pm

SilverCellist wrote:
 Wow, this forum is starting to pay off nicely with all the knowledgeable folks.  Thanks!

Yep, worth twice the monthly fee! chickendance
Back to top Go down
Max Q
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2017-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 4:20 pm

I wasn’t able to find any Bestem box available?
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Max Q wrote:
I wasn’t able to find any Bestem box available?

They were all over the place 8-9 months ago when I got mine, looks like they gone. No matter, there are a bunch of other chinese clone boxes to take their place.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4177
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 am

SilverCellist wrote:
Many nice choices, but I need a removeable rear box like my Helix had so I can use it for travel accessories and remove it at night and take it in to the motel when I travel.  Most are removable with the key bracket.  If I didn't travel, I would bolt it to the bike directly as well.  Nice job on the bracket fabrications above, gives me some great ideas.  Wow, this forum is starting to pay off nicely with all the knowledgeable folks.  Thanks!

I used a Non Fango 52 litre removable top box on the Helix I had for 8 years, but I never felt the need to remove it and carry it into hotels, motels, or up to cabins on overnight ferries. It was simpler to have a fitted inner bag, holdall, or daysack packed with all my stuff inside the box and take that with me into my accomodation.

It's what I do no with my Givi E55 top box, I only remove it to occasionally clean the rear rack or need it to strap a luggage back on.

One thing I miss about the Helix is that long low tunnel. I've never been able to fit the large Chase Harper Europa tank bag I converted into a tunnel bag onto any other maxi scooter I've owned since.
Back to top Go down
Chris Olson
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Chris Olson

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2014-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2018 12:06 pm

The Bestem boxes we got came with an aluminum mount made specifically for the Silver Wing. That box was discontinued some time back. My bike came with one (slightly used 2012) and we found a matching one on eBay for my wife's new 2013 with the same polished aluminum inset in the lid and LED tail and brake lights on it. The whole light strip below the lid lights up and goes bright with the brakes on, including the one in the lid. The lid one only comes on with brakes.

We each carried probably 12-14 lbs of stuff in them on our Alaska trip and they stood up to sections of road that was 40-50 miles at a crack of washboard gravel in construction stretches on the Alcan that shakes your teeth out. Nothing ever loosened up on those boxes, they have nice liners in them with a X-style cargo strap - dust never got into them, rain never got into them, and they still look like new after 10,000 miles of less than ideal conditions touring in one month. I see absolutely nothing wrong with them as far as quality.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS   Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket trunks for SWINGS
Page 1 of 1