Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Some Notes on Rider Again

Go down 
+3
The Bern
EvilTwin
john grinsel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Some Notes on Rider Again Empty
PostSubject: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2018 7:51 pm

Having been riding since 1955 and never quiting....and lots of miles. Some observations based on my age (79) and experience.

Well balanced bike/scooter great aide---SilverWing/Bugman 400 are not loaded for touring---raised CG may have something to do with it....and they were probably not designed to be loaded up. SilverWing can be bear at slow speed parking lot things.

Former good dirt bike (or Trials) riders may be better at the slow speed stuff.

My current CB300F is well balanced, even loaded for touring, Bestem Top Box , C-Bow bags----gets me going---modern fuel injection on/off and no flywheel effect can make real slow speed stuff trying....if you like smooth progress.

Pointing/looking where you are going gets harder with age
....but bike choice can make difference----Last Sunday, TN narrow country road, idiots in pickups crossing over centerlines, had me thinking---my CB300F not the best at accurate "pointing" neither is SilverWing or Burgman 400 in my experience----Helix was, rear foot brake
great balance aide....and overall weight low made it safe and relaxing for me...never dumped one in 175,000 miles!

Traction----making tires do as little work as possible has kept me alive. Result: I am not that aggressive in cornering, but can ride with snow/ice, on dirt bike hang rear out
Wet I watch....experienced hydro planing at least twice on major roads=not nice feeling.

A trike is not sub for lack of riding skill.....Can-Am probably safe idea in my book.

Of course riding/braking practice keeps skills up. My thoughts.
Getting older, with right riding clothes/gear find the cold/wet doesn't bother me so much. But my next bike should have OEM heated grips.

My thoughts.

Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

john grinsel wrote:
Having been riding since 1955 and never quiting....and lots of miles.  Some observations based on my age (79) and experience.

trike is not sub for lack of riding skill.....Can-Am probably safe idea in my book.

Of course riding/braking practice keeps skills up.   My thoughts.
Getting older, with right riding clothes/gear find the cold/wet doesn't bother me so much.  But my next bike should have OEM heated grips.

My thoughts.

Could you elaborate on your thoughts about about Can Am's?  I have one as well as a Swing.  I enjoy the swing but favor the Can Am for highway riding.  It's a different experience/skill set since the trike doesnt lean but is super stable on the highway at 70+.   I favor the Swing for back roads and twisties and speeds less than 60, its just much more fun to ride.  The trike will be used for 2 up riding since my wife is comfortable on it and it has so much storage.  It took a good amount of miles riding the trike before I became comfortable with it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 3:36 pm

My trike "three wheel" experience is with 2 Messerscmitts, one used, one new. I consider pusher type 3 wheeler much safer, conventional 3 wheel trike in US.... theyprobably not very safe....all you have to remember is how easily your tricycle tipped as child.

Remember local cop when I was in high school chased us on our super slow HD 125's---his Servicar making lots of smoke, inside wheel lifting---think once we put him somebody's yard. Not safe idea.

I have not ridden new Can-Am....but they seem to have lots controls to keep them idiot proof---and away from real skills. Messerschmitt could be put up in 2 wheels, once in a while=real thrill.

Rode SideCar outfits for 40 years--consider them safe, but proper skill required---but today no new OEM outfits available other than Ural in US--- and or bike/scooter strong enough to handle the strains.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 4:23 pm

john grinsel wrote:
.... theyprobably not very safe....all you have to remember is how easily your tricycle tipped as child.

Yep, the Honda Big Red trike got banned from use on UK public highways because so many were 'flipped' resulting in rider injuries/deaths
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Does that mean that top quality trike conversions, such as Dale N's, or Danson/HD conversions are not permitted in the UK?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 4:53 pm

My question---what 3 wheel trikes, one wheel in front, have any safety certification....any county? 10-20 years back in Germany---some VW conversions had TUV approval, as did Smart Car powered trike, as I recall

Many years ago Diahatsu made 3 wheeled trucks as did Mazda that were legal in Japan.
Back to top Go down
EvilTwin
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
EvilTwin

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2017-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 5:27 pm

The system used on the Can Am was developed by Bosch.  Its commonly referred to as "The Nanny".  It will prevent you from lifting a wheel by applying brakes to whatever side is needed.  The bike also has ABS, traction control and power assisted steering.  Very sophisticated piece of engineering and the fact that they weren't introduced till about 10 years ago, speaks to the reliance on technology to make the trike safe to ride for average folks.

You do need some skills to ride the Spyder, but it's much more like driving a car then riding two wheels.  New riders often report it as very "twitchy" and the common advice is to loosen the grip on the bars and stop trying to over control the steering.   People that have never ridden two wheels before don't have the same experience as folks that come to it with many years riding bikes.   It is a viable alternative to people with handicaps or those that don't feel safe on two wheels anymore.  You have to learn their limits and once you get past that, they are lots of fun to ride.  I go back and forth between the Swing and the Spyder and don't seem to notice the differences as much anymore.  If gas keeps going up, I may favor the Swing since it does much better on mileage.

I've never tried a conventional trike like a goldwing or harley,  maybe some day if I get the chance.  I havent heard if they have the same type of safety systems on board, maybe somebody else could chime in on that one.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 7:41 pm

I'm interested in Can Am spider. Product is evolving and getting better by the years. Thanks to sales.
I see many on the road around here and looks like fun. Local dealer has a few demo rides might be a good idea to try one out. Started with a 2 cylinder now most are 3 cyl..

Different ride doesn't lean like a bike though, have to hang on in corners.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2018 10:28 pm

Talking about trikes----when I still lived in Germany, around 2010 and the Italians came out with the leaning 3 wheel scooter....I saw them quickly and skillfully ridden and in my book they were very safe. But notice two wheels in front. And they were approved to register.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 12:42 am

The only experience I have with a trike is my SWing trike. This is the first season with it and I sure took it easy going around intersections at first. I sort of felt like I was going to tip over but that soon left me as I got more experience with it. We also have a round about here in town and the are putting in another one. I'm getting better at that too. I know my limits and am starting to know the SWing's limits as a trike. I've taken a few 200 mile rides on it and like how it handles and rides. I'm NOT a daredevil or thrill seaker so I ride pretty sane. And at my age the only thrill I want is riding my SWing!!!
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 6:08 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Does that mean that top quality trike conversions, such as Dale N's, or Danson/HD conversions are not permitted in the UK?

Trike's in general are allowed Tim. it was purely the Big Red trike which at launch was legal for learners to ride, the combination of short wheelbase, narrow track width, super grippy 'ballon' tyres & rider inexperiance conspired to cause a significant number of accidents involving the trike flipping on corners.
 We have CanAm's plus proffesionally built & 'home brew' trikes over here, Big Red's four wheeled 'brother' is also road legal

We also have the famous Morgan car, which was originally driven by a J.A.P V twin motorcycle engine, I believe some are now getting made with H.D units

Some Notes on Rider Again P02279l4

Just for fun, how to get a 3 wheeler to become a two wheeler Wink (follow on video is also amusing)  ....

Last edited by The Bern on Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 6:45 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
I'm interested in Can Am spider.  Product   is evolving and getting better by the years. Thanks to sales.
I see many on the road around here and looks like fun.  Local dealer has a few demo rides might be a good idea to try one out.  Started with a 2 cylinder now most are 3 cyl..

Different ride doesn't lean like a bike though, have to hang on in corners.

The Spyder handles wonderfully, a friend has one and he and his wife like it it a LOT. There's a forum for that also and he used pointers from that one to set up his for better handling. Tires that came with it went first Smile replaced with a better handling set. He did say the newer models handled better than the first of the lineup. How does it steer, much like a snowmobile if you have ever ridden one.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 8:07 am

Jeez... How could I have forgotten the Morgan. Gett'n old sucks.

Great cut away picture, Bern.

Tim
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2018 9:02 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Great cut away picture, Bern.Tim

Cheers Tim, I pinched it from the BBC, they did an article on Morgan cars which you make like to read over a cuppa ...........

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20140706-top-mog-the-3-wheeler-triumphant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Notes on Rider Again   Some Notes on Rider Again I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Notes on Rider Again
Page 1 of 1