Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The Silver Wing is TOO good

Go down 
+10
bill tucker
Mighty Mouse
Jinglebob
willajabir
Greysilver
dekare
Scootypuff Snr
Sidewinder Pilot
steve_h80
Bash On!
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

The Silver Wing is TOO good Empty
PostSubject: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm

It's been a couple years since I've bought a new bike and have a hankering for something different.  Put together a list of desired attributes for my new bike:

-Can be used on the highway
-Decent to use around town
-ABS
-Water-cooled
-Some weather protection
-Storage for commuting
-Seat height no more than 32" +-
-Reliable brand
-Reasonably comfortable
-Preferably $10,000 or less
-Cool-looking
-Mild off-road (fire roads, low-speed) capability

Darn it!  My current Silver Wing meets all those criteria except maybe the last two.  And, looking around, nothing available seems to meet all the criteria, and many meet fewer than the SW.

How am I supposed to justify a new bike?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 pm

Lol, I couldn't agree more.What you need of course is a second bike, something different enough to make the "which one shall I use" choice worthwhile.
Sounds like you want something dirty for bike 2!
Enjoy the bike hunt cheers
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Hmmmmm.........This takes care of the second to last Cool

http://powersports.honda.com/touring/2018/nm4.aspx
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Bash On! wrote:
It's been a couple years since I've bought a new bike and have a hankering for something different.  Put together a list of desired attributes for my new bike:

-ABS
-Water-cooled
-Some weather protection
-Storage for commuting
-Reliable brand
-Reasonably comfortable
-Cool-looking

How am I supposed to justify a new bike?

Suzuki V-Strom 650. Well respected by ADV riders & change left instead of buying the litre bike.

Never justify a new bike it's just evolution Razz
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Sidewinder Pilot wrote:
Hmmmmm.........This takes care of the second to last Cool

http://powersports.honda.com/touring/2018/nm4.aspx

Wow! That's pretty spacey. Would be a novelty to have, for sure!
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Bash On! wrote:

-ABS
-Water-cooled
-Some weather protection
-Storage for commuting
-Reliable brand
-Reasonably comfortable
-Cool-looking

Darn it!  My current Silver Wing meets all those criteria except maybe the last two.

Actually, I think they are pretty good looking for a design made when? Prior to 2000 sometime. Of course, not everyone agrees, especially those more attuned to the looks of an exposed chrome engine.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Hi Bash   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi Bash. I gave some thought to this and ...... the SWing is cool looking. So that is only one reason to buy a new bike.

-Cool-looking

Darn it!  My current Silver Wing meets all those criteria except maybe the last two. [/quote]

Actually, I think they are pretty good looking for a design made when? Prior to 2000 sometime. Of course, not everyone agrees, especially those more attuned to the looks of an exposed  chrome engine.[/quote]
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 am

Uh oh.  Local dealer has a sale:
NOS 2016 CTX Deluxe (with ABS): MSRP $18,329; Sale price: $8999

Needs a taller windshield but it's fairly cool looking.
Back to top Go down
willajabir
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 4:21 pm

While it is subjective, my opinion is the SilverWing is better.
I have the CTX1300, and while I do enjoy it, the Silverwing is my preferred bike overall.
The Silver Wing is TOO good 6kxWScB
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 7:14 pm

I sold my previous SWing two years ago. I then bought a Suzuki C50 cruiser. I discovered that the C50 really was work to ride and the SWing had pretty much checked all the boxes I needed for two wheels. So I found another SWing and bought it...happy I did.

Bottom line is you don't need to justify buying another machine if you just want it, but don't be surprised if you find that the SWing really is a good machine which fits a niche that really no other bike, even another scooter, can...
Back to top Go down
Mighty Mouse
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Mighty Mouse

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-05-03

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 3:48 am

I agree with this thread totally! I shall ride my Swing to death (extreme high mileage) in the next 2 years and am casting around to replace it when that happens. I've looked at the Honda NC and the Honda X-ADV (not to mention the BMW C650 GT) but none of them tick the same boxes as the Swing does. The main stumbling block is the 2nd hand price of these gems!
So after an exhaustive search I decided to replace old Swing with another old Swing - if I can still find a low mileage one! Failing that....it's rebuild engine for me! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 am

Mighty Mouse wrote:
I agree with this thread totally! I shall ride my Swing to death (extreme high mileage) in the next 2 years and am casting around to replace it when that happens. I've looked at the Honda NC and the Honda X-ADV (not to mention the BMW C650 GT) but none of them tick the same boxes as the Swing does. The main stumbling block is the 2nd hand price of these gems!
So after an exhaustive search I decided to replace old Swing with another old Swing - if I can still find a low mileage one! Failing that....it's rebuild engine for me! thumbs up

I see them on Craigslist. Many are low miles. I would think they should be around for awhile yet.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 10:10 am

Resisted the CTX1300.  Realized it's over 724 pounds.  Yikes!

Besides, I don't ride enough to justify a new bike.  My SW just hit 1500 miles and it's almost 2 years old. Embarassed  Should outlast me at this rate.
Back to top Go down
bill tucker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
bill tucker

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2017-07-23

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 12:09 pm

my 2 cents worth, I have rode motorcycles on the road every since my 14th b day and I have owned a lot of different bikes my last big bike was a Yamaha road star 1600cc , all I can say is every time I ride my swing I love it. I have always loved riding bikes and always will , for some reason this swing makes me fill like a kid agene. my first legal road bike was a Honda express when I was 14 years old and the freedom I felt was something else.
Back to top Go down
Bairdb
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2017-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 8:24 pm

I went just the opposite direction you did I bought a 2016 vultus nm4 and found it to be very enjoyable particularly the DCT, double clutch transmission, that you can use as automatic, manual drive or sport . But I thought I needed something for shorter rides so I shopped around and found a dealer who presented me with the idea of 2013 new in the crate Silver Wing. I took some time to think about it and then ordered it shipped from Florida to California. Now I find I've got two bikes that are excellent to ride enjoyable, look great and when I go to the garage I almost can't decide which one to ride the nm4 required a few changes to the factory standard bike. It did not have a center stand. I installed the center stand then, moved the foot operated rear brake up to the unused left handlebar. Those two changes made the nm4 a joy to ride and now, I'm stuck with two beautiful bikes in the garage and don't know which one to ride when I go out and look at them it's a dilemma. Good Luck. The Silver Wing is a lot more versital bike than I ever expected.
Blain
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 07, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey Bash, I reconsidered... try this......
https://www.google.com/search?q=ducati+paul+smart&tbm=isch&imgil=Rri5H9mVJ08AfM%253A%253BC73nvX6y78N8cM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.totalmotorcycle.com%25252Fphotos%25252F2006models%25252F2006models-Ducati-PaulSmart1000LimitedEdition&source=iu&pf=m&fir=Rri5H9mVJ08AfM%253A%252CC73nvX6y78N8cM%252C_&usg=__pnt_vu_6-gnwBC2wGvVnv53T1cs%3D&biw=1280&bih=623&ved=0ahUKEwi4tuKd0MbVAhVqlFQKHdD7AtkQyjcIMw&ei=wyaJWfjIDuqo0gLQ94vIDQ#imgrc=Rri5H9mVJ08AfM:

Probably it does nothing in your list and cost like heck but......... it is COOL LOOKING!!!!!! Cool
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 9:48 am

Oooooohh! Work of art, Greysilver. Owning a Duck is on my bucket list, and that model is especially nice.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 08, 2017 10:52 am

I too have had street bikes, off road, Trials bikes, on and off road bikes. Once you get used to the ease of a Swing you cannot go back. If you needed a swing to do unapproved roads just put on/off road tires. Put rear shocks on stiff and heavier front fork oil.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 am

Bash On! wrote:
Uh oh.  Local dealer has a sale:
NOS 2016 CTX Deluxe (with ABS): MSRP $18,329; Sale price: $8999

Needs a taller windshield but it's fairly cool looking.

I have a friend that traded his Silver Wing for one of these. He got the DCT (automatic) model and added a Cee Bailey windscreen. He really loves the bike except for ONE thing. The CTX uses a chain drive and he hates that... Can't say I blame him; I hate messing with them also.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Oops--I didn't type the size. That listing was for the CTX1300, which has a shaft drive.

Really good deal for $8999, but still too darn heavy for my purposes!
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 12:13 pm

I think the SW looks good from the front and rear, and OK from the side.

One thing that we take for granted with maxi-scooters after we've had them for awhile is the ability to move around on them. Feet forward and out, feet forward and down, or even down almost below our butts. On longer rides, when my back gets sore, I like to put my feet down almost right below me, straighten my back and assume a slight forward lean.

On a motorcycle, you can have that last position all the time, but the rest require highway pegs that put our feet out in the wind.

Well-integrated, locking storage is also hard to find on a motorcycle costing under $10k. Honda ST1300 did it well, but that is a heavy (720 lbs.?) and top-heavy ride, compared to a Silverwing.

SW's are not great on fire roads. If you want to ride them, why not add a lightly used 250-class dual sport and just keep the 'wing for longer highway rides and local urban/suburban riding?
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 28, 2017 12:46 pm

Smaug wrote:
[Lots of good points about the SW and scooters in general]

SW's are not great on fire roads. If you want to ride them, why not add a lightly used 250-class dual sport and just keep the 'wing for longer highway rides and local urban/suburban riding?

Another good point. The current mini-ADV bikes (including the Honda CRF250L Rally and Kawasaki Versys-X 300) are very tempting. The SW checks most of the boxes other than fire roads, and there aren't too many of those around here in Dallas.
Back to top Go down
Smaug
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Smaug

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-07-30

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Can you get dual sport tires for the BMW? That might just do it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Silver Wing is TOO good   The Silver Wing is TOO good I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Silver Wing is TOO good
Page 1 of 1