Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oil light and fan question

Go down 
+7
Easyrider
DickO
steve_h80
cliffyk
Hondafreak
cotetoi
Boating123
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2015-05-31

Oil light and fan question  Empty
PostSubject: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 3:11 pm

1 . After using my honda silverwing in fairly hot weather for only a couple of miles I noticed the fan was still on even though I turned off the engine but battery was still on.. is this normal?

2. I noticed the oil light is in red when I put the key in the ignition and turn it on..but then when the engine goes on the light shuts off.. is this normal?.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 4:28 pm

Both pretty normal, I'd say. Hot weather will keep your fan working till the engine cools down.
If I am wrong, somebody will jump in .
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Hondafreak
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2016-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 5:19 pm

In hot weather the fan will run with engine off (power on) if temp is above predetermined factory setting is reached, shop manual has setting specs.
The oil light will illuminate with power on and engine off. This is self test meaning switch, wiring and light are functional. Actually, when all the lights (ABS, check engine, etc.) come on with power on this is a self test. These items are pretty much common to all modern motorcycles/scooters.
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks. And about not having an oil change done in 2 year when I rarely used it ( ride it less then 300 miles each year ) I looked at the dipstick and it showed there was plenty of oil. Should I still change the oil and filter ?
Back to top Go down
Hondafreak
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Oil sits underground for millions of years (dino oil). There's no real shelf life for oil in a sealed container in a controlled environment. I read in an other forum where someone took oil sample from a bike that sat for awhile like you mentioned to a lab and they found no break down. If your scoot was stored in garage, no worries. But on the other hand, to satisfy your comfort level and if you envision not riding very much over the year I would use a cheaper oil/filter and change maybe every year and a half or so. I have a friend with a Goldwing with nearly 200k miles and since new he's been using "cheaper" oil/filter and changes 6-8k miles and his bike has no problems (and his drain bolt doesn't have a crush washer).
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 3:01 pm

The fan on my '06 does not continue to run after the ignition switch is turned off--in fact if you examine the wiring diagram below (which I have verified is correct) it cannot run with the ignition switch off as that is its only power source:

Oil light and fan question  2002-2007StdWiring-00

+12V flows from the main fuse through the ignition switch (red), through the fan fuse and on to the fan and fan relay coil (red/org). The coil is energised by the ECM's pulling 'tother end to ground (blue)--the relay then connects the fan motor's ground to the frame ground (green).

I.e. ignition switch OFF = fan OFF...

I know there were some changes made in '07 (the O2 sensor being the most prominent); however the only '07+ wiring diagrams I have (non-ABS and ABS) both show identical circuits for the cooling fan?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 3:38 pm

I think he means when you stop the engine with the kick stand, engine stop but everything still live.
It just means everything is working as it should.
The temperature guage never seems to get above 3 bars though, at least on mine. I guess if it reaches 4 or 5 it means either the fans packed up or your riding through a volcano!
Back to top Go down
Hondafreak
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 pm

With power off for sure fan goes off, if not could be lots of cases with dead battery depending on age/condition of battery.
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Yes. The fan only stays on with the key in the 'on' position
Though engine is turned off ... eventually the fan turns off
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Just a note... never thought I'd find anyone who puts on fewer miles per year than me (Boating123's 300 miles per year). Believe my average would be closer to 1700 miles... but then, each to his own... Smile
Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Also does anybody use that safety brake on the bottom?
It seems if there is any change that bike might drop on the kick stand .. which I learned the hard way .. always use the center stand .
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 03, 2017 8:59 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
I think he means when you stop the engine with the kick stand, engine stop but everything still live.
It just means everything is working as it should.
The temperature guage never seems to get above 3 bars though, at least on mine. I guess if it reaches 4 or 5 it means either the fans packed up or your riding through a volcano!

Disabling the kick stand switch was just about the first thing I did after riding my '06 home. No one will ever ride it but me, and I have brains enough to not "rev" then engine when it's on the side stand.

Other than a few times in the dirt, upside down with my feet still on the pegs and gasoline dripping on my face, I cannot remember ever using the kill switch--certainly not on any street bike I've owned, IIRC most didn't even have kill switches...
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 2:57 am

I use the kill switch, key switch and sidestand switch all the time on all my bikes, mainly because it reassures me they are working.
Even after all these years I still sometimes try to set off with the kickstand down. It stays on mine because my memory ain't going to suddenly improve Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 6:41 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
I use the kill switch, key switch and sidestand switch all the time on all my bikes, mainly because it reassures me they are working.
Even after all these years I still sometimes try to set off with the kickstand down. It stays on mine because my memory ain't going to suddenly improve Rolling Eyes

Well I am 72 now, may be it will happen--but decades-long habits like kickstand up before starting the engine; directional signal off exiting a turn; checking oil level and tire pressure (or at least thinking about it) before each ride; etc, are hard to break...
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 06, 2017 8:47 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
If what you are saying about using the side stand switch,

Even after all these years I still sometimes try to set off with the kickstand down. It stays on mine because my memory ain't going to suddenly improve 

Assuming by kickstand you mean the sidestand and not the main stand. If so, what you are saying cannot happen. The kickstand needs to be up for the engine to run.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 07, 2017 4:21 am

Last year we had someone from NY come on the site and start to ask questions, that seemed ,to me, to be most unusual for someone that owns and rides a Silver wing. It was  questioned by one of the Admin and I think blocked from then on. Some of the things this person asks just don't ring true with me. Anyone else feel the same?
Back to top Go down
Boating123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Oil change info    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 8:14 am

Ok. I'm going to have my car mechanic help me with my
First oil change of my 2005 silverwing .. I have owned it for 2 years now with very few miles I have put on it

Question.
Why type of oil ? Would car oil Work ?
What type of filter ?

Anything else ?

And where can I order these ?

Thx in advance

Dan
Back to top Go down
Jolly Bodger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2016-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 am

Hmmm...
Another can of worms!!!
If you do a search on this you will find loads of conflicting advice and no doubt there will be a variety of replies to your questions.
FWIW personally I stick to the manufacturers recommendation. I use OEM oil filters and 10w40 semi synthetic oil, any decent quality oil will do but I tend to use Castrol.
JB
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 18, 2017 10:12 am

You can go to WalMart and get oil and an aftermarket filter. Auto-Zone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, or any other auto parts store will also be able to provide you with oil and an aftermarket filter which will work.

However, given the gist of your question(s) you might want to have your local Honda shop do the job for you. They, as well as their parts counter, will have the correct OEM filter and oil for you. Moreover, they will also have a replacement for the oil drain tappet cover which an unfamiliar mechanic is quite liable to mutilate.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 5:32 am

Boating123 wrote:
Ok. I'm going to have my car mechanic help me with my
First oil change of my 2005 silverwing ..  I have owned it for  2 years now with very few miles I have put on it

Question.
Why type of oil ? Would car oil Work ?
What type of filter ?

Anything else ?

And where can I order  these ?

Thx in advance

Dan

All the info you need for a oil change or oil and filter change is there in your Owner's Handbook. Have you looked?

On this forum there is also a very helpful step by step Pictorial on doing an oil change. Have you looked?

Then there's numerous posts and topics on oil changes or oil and filter changes. The various oils and oil filters that members have used, and of course the usual posts from some disregarding everything recommended by Honda. They're all worth a look too.   Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil light and fan question    Oil light and fan question  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oil light and fan question
Page 1 of 1