Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?

Go down 
+4
lloyd193
GHM-PM
Easyrider
Gustafa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? Empty
PostSubject: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Walked out to load up my saddlebags and noticed this lovely friend making a home in my rear Pirelli.
Luckily it was just embedded in the thick rubber on the edge, no leak and I got home ok.
The Swing is sitting until I get new rear rubber, which leads my to my question in the post title.

Im kinda tired of the Pirelli Diablo rears, they wear flat and fast. Ive read up the Michelins dont last long, Bridgestones are mediocre, etc

Anyone tried the Dunlop SX01's?

Any other tire recommendations?

I know milage varies, etc but would love to hear some of the latest thoughts, most threads a few years back and maybe theres a tire we havent talked much about yet.

Thanks y'all!

tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? Photo_10
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 1:58 pm

My OEM IRC tire has 10k miles and looks like it can go another 2-3k miles. I think the weather here is less stressful on my tires. The Michelin Power Pure SC dual compound tire seems to make it to 10k and remain round according to some here on this site. I didn't like how the front tire tracked. Especially  tar shakes and on concrete roads having water control groves. The font  Michelin tires magnified the effects of the groves. Like riding on grated bridges.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeTue May 30, 2017 11:27 pm

I second the IRC. On my second set and they wear like iron. Not the best handling tire I suppose but seem to do fine for my uses.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2017-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 4:49 pm

Tim, We could have generated some conversation if you hadn't deleted my comment on this tire. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing

Last edited by lloyd193 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 5:01 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
Tim, We could have generated some conversation if you hadn't deleted my comment on this tire. Happy motoring lloyd 193

Huh? scratch
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 5:23 pm

That tire is not losing any Nitrogen, That nail is not deep enough to damage any tire Cord, Pull that nail out Squirt some Tube Patch liquid in the Hole, Then finish wearing that tire out. I have installed more than a Thousand Scooter Tires and would never recommend using a dangerous tire. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 5:31 pm

It has been my experience that the Bridgestone Hoop is consistently the best tire on the Silverwing scooter, Clean that bead area, Always install a new Valve core assembly with that stem support in place on those rear tires. Correctly balanced and pressure maintained, You are in for 10 thousand miles of happy motoring lloyd 193. swing

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 7:50 pm

Ride some miles, then comment----80,000 SilverWing miles and another 60,000 with 2 new Burgman 400's ----same size tire, tells me only Michelin Power Pure SC wears ROUND and lasts about 10,000 miles.

Best thing is also to get rid of that goofy 90 degree valve----designed as easier for fat people to check tires---I use a Honda Part, short/straight valve rated for H rated speeds. Reached from left side---normal gauge and air chuck work ok.

Bridgestone Scooter tires have been problem for me-----3 rears on Reflex, came/flew apart. Bridgestone paid. In addition had Bridgestone rear failure in Japan on Helix----J rated @62 mph,Helix could go about 70 mph downhill/tailwind----Honda never put a higher rated rear on them----had 4 new ones---175,000 miles. After failure just watched speed.

I do own tire work, Ride On balance medium.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 9:14 pm

lloyd193 wrote:
It has been my experience that the Bridgestone Hoop is consistently the best tire on the Silverwing scooter, Clean that bead area, Always install a new Valve core assembly with that stem support in place on those rear tires. Correctly balanced and pressure maintained, You are in for 10 thousand miles of happy motoring lloyd 193. swing

Each to his/her own. If you search on this forum the numbers of Hoops riders that are unhappy with them might surprise you...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 2:24 am

I've had Bridgestone Hoops on every maxi scooter I've had in the last 20 years and mainly they've been fine. The rear tyre started squared off after about 8000 miles on the lardass 650 Burgman, something that didn't happen on lighter 250cc to 400cc maxi's. Last year I had to replace the rear tyre on my Silver Wing  last year with a couple of thousand miles legal tread left when it developed a blister just off centre.

I could have replaced it with another Bridgestone Hoop but tyre developments moves on and Iwanted a change, I chose to have a Continental ContiMove 365 fitted and replaced the front tyre with a ContiMove too.  When the tyres were fitted I also took along a set of shorter Ariete valves stems as I was fed up with the hassle of OE tyre valves on the Silver Wing and every maxi scooter I'd owned previously.

The Conti's being all season tyres are kind of weird looking and have a more agressive tread and sipes pattern on them, visually they'd probably have Darksiders reaching for the tissues! Smile After a couple of hundred miles scrubbing them in I installed Puncturesafe. The Conti's seem to hold their recommended pressures for longer than Bridgestone's Hoops and of course with angled valve stems checking them is now a lot easier.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 9:16 am

Do you use the Ariete valve on the rear wheel? If so, what about the locater nub for the OE valve stem support?

Tim
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Do you use the Ariete valve on the rear wheel? If so, what about the locater nub for the OE valve stem support?

Tim
The Ariete valve assemblies increase the rotating mass, Aggravating the Centrifical forces at work on the tire valve at Highway speeds. Using the lightest assembly, Whether 90 degree with the support or straight is best and safest
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 11:46 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

The Ariete valves are on both wheels, they sit low on the wheel rims and the rear one is in the locater nub. It's at an angle pointing forward, and both valves are secured inside the wheel with a lock nut.
Back to top Go down
lloyd193
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
lloyd193

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 11:48 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Tim
The Ariete valve assemblies increase the rotating mass, Aggravating the Centrifical forces at work on the tire valve at Highway speeds. Using the lightest assembly, Whether 90 degree with the support, Or straight is best and safest. Over time these aluminum valve assemblies become loose, Because the nut holding them to the rim is inside the rim they cannot be tightened without breaking the bead. Milton Valve Stems manufactures the best High performance valve assemblies, No cheap cast aluminum poor quality assemblies and Indy tested. These will not fail and cause a hi speed blow out. Happy motoring lloyd 193. swing
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Really, to me they're just nicely made angled tyre valves that are more convenient to use than rubbish OE valves.

But they're also fixed to the rim with a locknut, so it can't bent and be expelled from the rim.

It's an advantage over OE brass valves they need not be replaced every time the tyre is changed.

The angled 'quill' reduces the effect of centrifugal force, which tends to fling the valve outwards in a conventional valve leading to a loss of pressure in the tyre.

Certainly since fitting them with the Conti tyres I'm not having to top up the tyre pressure as often as with Bridgestones.

When I do check the tyre pressures I have far better access for inflation and pressure checks.

Apart from standard fitment angled valves for humble scooters like the Silver Wing, Ariete have them to fit big boys wheels like Marvic, Antera, OZ Racing, and Brembo, so if they're good enough for them they're good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Agree   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 02, 2017 3:46 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
I second the IRC.  On my second set and they wear like iron.  Not the best handling tire I suppose but seem to do fine for my uses.

I am changing tires as we speak and I will go with IRC replacement. I have 11,900 miles on these and they look like another 1000 to go. Longevity is good, repairs are expensive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?   tires - Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any experience with Dunlop SX01 tires?
Page 1 of 1