Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Final Drive Oil Change

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BarryH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-04-22

Final Drive Oil Change Empty
PostSubject: Final Drive Oil Change   Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 30, 2017 5:16 pm

I bought my Silverwing with 5400 miles on it and overall great condition...a few scrapes on the body work but no laydowns. I just changed the final drive oil and was it dirty>>whew! Glad I changed it..Just pulled the oil fill bolt, took out the drain plug and rotated the rear wheel>> put the drain bolt in..shot a bit of gear lube in and rotated the wheel and drained again..still dirty. filled it up till the gear lube ran out and reinstalled the drain fill bolt. easy to do..
Changed the engine oil and it was dirty as well. Used a syringe and emptied the brake reserves..wipe them out and filled with fluid. Will flush system when my son has time to assist. Low miles and time passed calls for full service.
Changed out coolant>>Replaced with Honda Coolant..
10-40 Amsoil MT oil
75-90 Amsoil Gear oil
Valvoline Synthetic Dot 4 brake fluid.
K&N Oil Filter..5 bucks on clearance Chrome no less...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil Change   Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 7:24 am

Why not follow the book and use engine oil in the rear end?
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil Change   Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 12:49 pm

I run 75W-90 gear oil in the final drive of my '06 SWing, as I did in the very similar final drive on my '03 Burgman 400--for over 50k miles. I realise the recommended lube (for both) is the same motor oil recommended for the engine; however I believe that is more for the convenience of dealer service departments than any consideration of what is the optimal lubricant for that specific application.

Motorcycles are not expected to, and are generally not made to, to last 100k miles. Over the years I have seen numerous examples of motorcycles manufacturers' choice of materials and maintenance specs, such as recommendation of acceptable vs. optimal lubricants, that highlight that fundamental assumption.

The viscosity of 75W-90 gear oil is very close to that of 10W-30 motor oil, however gear oil is formulated to provide optimal lubrication for the special needs of gear boxes (surprise)--anti-friction bearings, high pressure and shear loads--and provides more anti-foaming additives; so as to provide optimal lubrication for gear drives.

Motor oil is for motors...

Last edited by cliffyk on Mon May 01, 2017 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Final Drive Oil Change 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil Change   Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 1:35 pm

cliffyk,

Why not do what you d*** well please based on your experience and research. Oh, that's what you do. Good man! cheers
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Final Drive Oil Change   Final Drive Oil Change I_icon_minitimeMon May 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Still say after over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles---good to stick with makers' recommendation.....but I do use Walmart house brand 10-40 in my engines, including those with wet clutch. So far over 500,000 miles-----most here really do not ride enough to wear anything out.....even though they are riding older bikes.
Back to top Go down

Final Drive Oil Change
Page 1 of 1