Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?

Go down 
+12
Dale N.
steve_h80
shyted
GHM-PM
Modernman1953
Phat_Phingers
cotetoi
CathyN
MikeO
dekare
Meldrew
Easyrider
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? Empty
PostSubject: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 4:38 am

I have been working with my optometrist to fit me with contacts with little sucess. My eyes are finally at the point where I need vision assistance. I tried glasses, but my glasses would lift up to my forehead when I try to put on my modular helmet. Are there any riders that are able to use glasses with modular helmet? If so, what helmet do you use?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 6:00 am

You should be putting your specs on after you're pulled your helmet on, not expecting your specs to remain in situ while you put your helmet on over them.

A quick look on any helmet manufacturers website will show you which of their helmets are spectacles friendly with channels in the liner for specs or removable foam lining strips to alleviate pressure etc. Off the top of my head Rolling Eyes ,Nolan, HJC, and Shoei are just three helmet manufacturers that come to mind.

Also bear in mind your chosen style of glasses affect how helmet friendly they are, so does your head shape in relation to the specific head shape the helmet is manufactured for.

As a specs wearer I don't have a problem myself, but what works for me may not necessarily for you.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:30 am

I also wear glasses. I attached a pic of my helmet and glasses. (Why it's laying sideway's I don't know). What I do is grab each 'wing' of the helmet and pull outward widening the helmet to some degree while putting it on. (Wing I define as the part adjacent to where your cheeks would be on the helmet.) The helmet slides nicely over the glasses.What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? 08211610
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 8:35 am

I use the same technique with my Nolan Crossover helmets, easing the sides apart to clear my ears - I'd have to do that even if I didn't wear specs.
I concur also with what Meldrew said, especially the bit about what suits one doesn't necessarily suit everyone.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 11:09 am

MikeO wrote:
I use the same technique with my Nolan Crossover helmets, easing the sides apart to clear my ears - I'd have to do that even if I didn't wear specs.
I concur also with what Meldrew said, especially the bit about what suits one doesn't necessarily suit everyone.

I too agree with Mike and Meldrew.  I have the Nolan modular helmet and I ease out the sides and slip on the helmet while wearing my glasses.  My husband has the Shoei and has to take his glasses off first to put his helmet on.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2017 11:48 am

I have a Scorpion EXO 900 flip front which is overdue for replacement, and I ease out the sides before pulling it on, mainly because I've got used to doing it that way because I've predominantly worn open face helmets for the last 25 years or so. My current open face, a Schuberth M1 is comfortable for me wearing specs, and the inner liner is heat welded not sewn to to prevent pressure points from seams causing discomfort. (The speakers are also pre installed in recessed pockets so there's nothing pressing on the the arms of my glasses, so are microphones on each side at jaw level so there's no boom microphone stuck out in front of my face.)
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 am

Thank you all for your replies. I wear a Bell Revolver Evo modular helmet and the cheek pads push up my glasses even if I put them on after my helmet. Maybe I should replace the side pads with thinner ones. That may give me enough room for my glasses. Just worried about safety issues. Will communicate my issues with Bell Helmets.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 8:05 am

I have the exact same helmet as yourself. I bought one a couple years ago and it sat in my closet. I wrecked my old one last September and had to get the Bell out this year. All you need to do is pull the opening apart slightly and it slips on easily. I've got it to the point where I don't even need to adjust my glasses afterward.
The Bell does fit tighter than my old Exo, but after a couple of long rides I am getting used to it.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Phat_Phingers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-04-14

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 10:38 am

I was at a dealer looking at lids one day, just grabbed a Zox by chance. I installed the bowl on my noggin whilst pulling the chinstraps out and the dang thing slid right on! It had the drop down visor, micro ratchet chinstrap and fit like a glove. I bought it. Yes, its a cheapo and is kinda noisey but it fit right over my lookers perfectly without any interference. Speaker pockets built in (Scala Q4) and other small pluses I hadnt counted on. $140 CDN. I am always in the market for a better one but this thing kinda fills the needs for now.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Go try some helmets on and put your glasses on after you put on the helmet.

I concur what Meldrew and others have said.

Glasses are a pain in the a** but absolutely necessary for the safety of all concerned.

My sports prescription sunglasses have always felt uncomfortable inside of my helmet, so I concluded that they just don't work well with any of my helmet choices. I have adopted the use of clip on sun glasses over the top of my regular glasses instead. My next prescription glasses won't have such thick frame members.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Here is one more tip about helmets:

If you have a helmet that is just a little tight, there is a fix: Get a football that has an inflatable needle hole in it. Let the air out enough to fit it into the helmet and then fill it up as much as you dare. (two pumps less than the exploding air pressure) Leave it for a week.

Your helmet will fit fine after that. If you don't wear that helmet often, it will resort back to the original size... and you might have to repeat the process.

This works.

For those in the UK, you can use one of those round balls that you are always trying to kick into the net.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 3:01 pm

I use a GMAX GM64 due to comfort, fit and price point. Bought a Nolan but took it back, did not fit right. Anyway, I have titanium frames on my glasses and have no problem with my modular helmet. I do spread the wings just a bit when putting it on. If I use a full-face (non modular) I must take glasses off and put them on again when helmet is on. Awkward but it works.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 5:07 pm

cotetoi wrote:
I have the exact same helmet as yourself. I bought one a couple years ago and it sat in my closet. I wrecked my old one last September and had to get the Bell out this year. All you need to do is pull the opening apart slightly and it slips on easily. I've got it to the point where I don't even need to adjust my glasses  afterward.
The Bell does fit tighter than my old Exo, but after a couple of long rides I am getting used to it.
Jay.

Thanks Jay. I will try that. Maybe even try the football inflation method. Darn, don't have a football. Again, THANKS all for your responses. If I remember, I will post whatever Bell Helmets respond to me.
Back to top Go down
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-07-03

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 16, 2017 10:25 pm

I have a Bell flip up helmet and I usually take my glasses off before i put my helmet on. I can then slip glasses on after the helmet is secured to my rough head
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 2:41 am

I usually end up with 2 sets of glasses, my regular one a helmet friendly pair. My other half reckons I look an idiot in my bike glasses but comfort wins :-)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 4:33 am

A few years ago I found a UK supplier for prescription lens Panoptyx/7Eye motorcycle specific glasses, and bought a pair fitted with Transition lenses. They're OK, but they're really more suitable for bandana or brain bucket wearing bada** bikers types, than OTGATT old gits like me.They do have removable rubber wind baffles to prevent 'dry eye' that might be useful to riders of naked roadsters, look a lot better without them for casual use.

I wore them in Florida last year and Mrs M and the rest of the family party made subtle hints I looked a bit weird, so I  bought a pair of folding Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasseswith prescription gradient tint lenses.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 12:32 pm

I use an open faced helmet and put it on the way dekare also does. I also wear hearing aids and the pulling the flaps out also helps to keep them on my ears without messing them up. Then I take the helmet and wiggle it back and forth a few times to get my ears and aids in place. I've never had a problem doing it this way. I also use an open faced helmet because it's really really hard to smoke with a full faced helmet...
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 2:07 am

Jay,
I just figured out what is the problem. On each side of my Bell helmet there are snap on cushions. The top edge of the cushion is just a third of an inch higher than my ear and my frame slides to the top of the cushions causing the lens to raise to my forehead. I am not able to force it below the top of the cushion. It keeps sliding up. I am waiting for a response from Bell helmets.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 4:00 am

Glad you've identified the problem. From time to time I've wondered if a pair of old-fashioned frames, the one with a metal flexible end which wraps right around the ears - they were 'National Health' ones, worn particularly by children - might be the answer. The have a bit of 'give' in them.
Back to top Go down
Sknrdtec
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Sknrdtec

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-11-28

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 am

Dale N.........I also use an open faced helmet because it's really really hard to smoke with a full faced helmet...........bom > Well then maybe you SHOULD wear a full faced helmet bom............ Joking Dale N. Also please forgive for getting off subject . ST
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Sknrdtec, I tried a full faced helmet once but had to drill a hole in the face shield for the cigarette.  Evil or Very Mad  But then it was hard to get rid of the cig once it was smoked. When I opened the shield the air would blow the hot ash all over my neck.  cherry  That's when I went with an open faced with no shield. Plus, the inside of the helmet would fill up with smoke when I'd exhale and I couldn't see where I was going. I got killed twice using a full faced. Once by running into a building and the other when I hit a car head on. My helmet was still filled with smoke when I stopped skidding down the pavement.

None of this is true by the way. It's all BS because I've never used a full faced helmet. I just thought I'd do a bit of a rant... :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Ok people. Back to the topic of this post. Bell customer support person responded to my question. They don't make any "glasses friendly" helmets. They suggested that switching to thinner cheek pads may help. They have the following sizes. 35mm, 40mm, 45mm, 50mm, 55mm and 60mm.  I have the 45mm pads. Will see what happens.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 3:28 pm

As noted earlier some helmets are more spec friendly. My preference is Shoei, but try before you buy. There might be slighty used Bell helmet about hit ebay :-)
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 6:05 pm

I had problems with my HJC modular when I first got it. The large size was too tight and made it hard to get my glasses on after I had the helmet on. I ordered a pair of thinner cheek pads and it was much better. Not hard to get on and easy to put my specs on after the helmet is on. I really like the internal sunscreen in the helmet as well. I fitted a Sena Bluetooth unit on the left side of the helmet and put the speakers in the pockets provided. Really works well. I can listen to my GPS, answer or make a call which is a lot better than looking for a pull out to return a call. One of my riding friends put a Sena on his helmet so now I also have a great bike to bike intercom. Works a lot clearer than the CB on my Goldwing did. Clear communications at 70mph. Only drawback is the hot mike. No push to talk so any odd noises you make go out on the airwaves. I get about half a mile range with this setup.
The newer Sena rigs allow up to ten bikes to communicate with each other my older pair only link two bikes at a time.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 7:59 pm

steve_h80 wrote:
As noted earlier some helmets are more spec friendly. My preference is Shoei, but try before you buy. There might be slightly used Bell helmet about hit ebay :-)

My suggestion is to go somewhere like a dealer or such to TRY on helmets.  Very subjective and ordering online is not a good thing.  Shoei tends to be very high-end, read pricey. Not a bad thing if you have the $$$ but there are other choices.  I cannot wear Nolan or HJC, both hurt my head...  Both these are good helmets but I could not wear either.  Arai fits me but is quite pricey as well. The most important thing is to find a comfortable unit or you will NOT wear it.
Back to top Go down
RazorbackUofA
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RazorbackUofA

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2017-04-23

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 5:58 pm

What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? A863b910

3 snap Mxl Industries Untreated Flip Shield (Smoke)

works great with my glasses
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 am

I have a Bell open face and Shoei Neotech. On both, I have to have my glasses off when putting on or taking off the helmet. Both helmets were a little tight when new but are getting more comfortable now and insert glasses is not hard. Both even have room for the drop-down internal sun shield visor but my glasses have to be snugly on my face.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?   What helmet can I use with my eye glasses? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Ok, I tried the thinner cheek pads and still are unable to use my glasses. I tried a strap to prevent my glasses from raising up on my cheek pads. It barely held my glasses down, but it pulled back my glasses and caused uncomfortable pressure against the bridge of my nose. My optomologist ordered me a thinner set of contact lenses. My problem is that I don't generate enough tears and the thinner lens may not soak up what available tears I generate. I'll keep trying the contracts route until there is no other options, then I'll look for a glasses friendly helmet.
Back to top Go down

What helmet can I use with my eye glasses?
Page 1 of 1