Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Oily rag Treatment #2

Go down 
+3
steve_h80
Old Limey
john grinsel
7 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Oily rag Treatment #2 Empty
PostSubject: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 10:19 am

Yesterday I washed scooter and noticed black plastic parts still black.....after 3 or 4 months. Bike used daily but garaged otherwise.

My conclusion: works better than any expensive stuff I bought in the bottle or pressure can.

My 19 year old Givi box---stays black, too after oily rag rubdown.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 1:16 pm

Oily rag on Plastic covers, John!!. I use some waterless spray that has wax in it, buy it at my local ALDI about £4 a bottle but lasts about a year. Smile
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 1:57 pm

I can get oil on my clothes by standing still! Rubbing any exposed part of my bike in an oily rag would immediatley see me covered in the stuff :-)
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Steve_h80, I agree with you 100%. I just walk through my garage and come in dirty without touching anything.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 5:59 pm

What's the big deal about owning a 19 years old top box that you've wiped with an oily rag? Over here there's old Honda C90’s about with Rickman GRP/fibre glass top boxes. I still see the occasional 1970’s R/7 series BMW fitted with Krauser panniers, R80/100 RT's, K75’s and K100's from the 80’s with BMW panniers, and Paralever GS's with the oddly matched 28 litre/35 litre BMW panniers.

There's always similar old top boxes and panniers for sale on eBay too. Neutral
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 pm

Any of them with 500,000 miles? Mine can still shine.
Clarification on Oily Rag: start with fresh rag or wash cloth----use fresh motor oil--I get mine from pump oil can. Use only on black trim parts, including "hump". Does not leave bike feeling oily and doesn't seem to come off in rain....like some of the other stuff I have purchased/used/tried.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 am

john grinsel wrote:
Any of them with 500,000 miles?  Mine can still shine.
Clarification on Oily Rag:  start with fresh rag or wash cloth----use fresh motor oil--I get mine from pump oil can.  Use only on black trim parts, including "hump". Does not leave bike feeling oily and doesn't seem to come off in rain....like some of the other stuff I have purchased/used/tried.

Your top box is as you say 19 years old, it hasn't really done 500,000 miles. It's a plastic box with hardly any moving parts that sits secured on a Givi Monorack, not an engine with metal components moving at thousands of rpm in hostile conditions creating friction and heat.

A top box isn't a consumable item like tyres, oil, and filters that are replaced every few thousand miles either, or a helmet that is replaced ever few years.

The original can of Plastex that I occasionally use on scooter Tupperware is probably as old as your top box, so are my Altberg motorcycle boots, and I've got a Phoenix Phreedom dome tent, a Coleman Peak 1 stove, and various other bits of camping junk bought in the early 1980’s.

In my kitchen is a wooden block full of Wüsthof knives and a steel, they've been in daily use for nearly 40 years and they're still going strong, as I've managed to cut myself on most of them. Smile

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Lemon Pledge is cheap and does a good job on both the scooter's body and windshield. It's cheaper than a quart of motor oil anyway.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 7:19 am

First rain---Pledge washes off. Oil on dull plastic surfaces seems to stay on and they remain black.

For windwhields and face shields, expensive Protect All works betlter than Pledge, for me.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 11:54 am

I'd argue that rain washes the stuff off. I lived in the Pacific Northwest where we do see a wee bit of water falling out of the sky. The shine from the Pledge lasted for a good while. Also after the bike dried off from a wet run a quick wipe with a bit of Pledge and a rag and it looked clean and shiny.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 pm

John Grinsel...I tried the oily cloth rub on my Givi top case. It's only 15 years old and in spite of good care and sheltered storage, it was looking worse for the wear. I used some new 2 cycle oil I had on hand and wiped it down with a clean cloth. It looks great. It really brought life back to the finish. I don't know how long it will last, but after 24 hours there is no oily residue or odor. I'm going to give my '02 SWing the same treatment when I get a chance. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oily rag Treatment #2   Oily rag Treatment #2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oily rag Treatment #2
Page 1 of 1