Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Hi there guys
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 7:20 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Teachable Moment

Go down 
+6
Old Limey
Cosmic_Jumper
Modernman1953
oldwingguy
dekare
janitorj1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 6:44 am

Went to the Dealership on Saturday to get a new rear tire. 30 miles away. Paid $150.00, tax, tag & title, out the door. Drove the 30 miles back home - heard a "scraping" sound, pulled over, noted rear caliper hanging by the brake line. (No wonder rear brake lever suddenly felt "soft".) Called them up - Can you get the bike back to us they say - I say no. Well I can't think of anything we can do they say - I say think harder. Well they sent the kid out who did the work. He reinstalled the caliper, replaced the missing bolts, went over the whole thing, kept calling me "Sir", and was extremely apologetic. So now, do I go there again? Or when I do go, I insist that this kid does the work? I trust when the kid got back to work, he went over the other bikes in the shop he was working on, and maybe left his earbuds in his pocket.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 7:52 am

janitorj1 wrote:
Went to the Dealership on Saturday to get a new rear tire.  30 miles away.  Paid $150.00, tax, tag & title, out the door.  Drove the 30 miles back home - heard a "scraping" sound, pulled over, noted rear caliper hanging by the brake line.  (No wonder rear brake lever suddenly felt "soft".)  Called them up - Can you get the bike back to us they say - I say no.  Well I can't think of anything we can do they say - I say think harder.  Well they sent the kid out who did the work.  He reinstalled the caliper, replaced the missing bolts, went over the whole thing, kept calling me "Sir", and was extremely apologetic.  So now, do I go there again?  Or when I do go, I insist that this kid does the work?  I trust when the kid got back to work, he went over the other bikes in the shop he was working on, and maybe left his earbuds in his pocket.

Forgive and forget (this time). We all make mistakes. Who knows what was on his mind. Who knows what kind of cross he's carrying....
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 8:21 am

Forgive and forget (this time). We all make mistakes. Who knows what was on his mind. Who knows what kind of cross he's carrying..<<<<<<<<<<<< That maybe true for you but we are talking about a major safety component that he paid someone to attend to while changing the tire. Notice the company response, doesn't say much for them either. I can relate to other work done stories Sad
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 8:47 am

He didn't test ride his work. I would pay for the tire, but refuse to pay for the work, regardless that he traveled to complete the job.

Let the dealer offer "please give us another chance." By calling the service manager and stating your concern, let the silence on the phone do it's work until the service manager decides to do the right thing and refund you for the service work that was inadequately performed.

I will say this: $150 for a tire installed when they take the tire off the bike is a pretty good deal for my area of the country.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 8:48 am

Teachable moment indeed.

To rely on others is to seek disappointment.

My 2¢: Given all the experience & work you've done on your scoot, you might consider removing the wheels and taking them to the dealer to have a new tire installed. Then reinstalling the wheel and caliper(s) yourself. Not only will you save money, but knowing that the dealer didn't have Denny Dickfingers service your scoot, you'll know that job is done correctly.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 10:47 am

To rely on others is to seek disappointment. True for the most part but if not for others somethings never would get done, going through that right now, waiting on help for something I need to do that takes two to make it easier.

Funny not except for one instance lately things I've paid others to do on vehicles that were fails are oil changes and tire rotation, ALL at a dealership (s) My belief was they hire the cheapest they can with little to no experience and let them have at it, oh no they say he is a registered ----- tech. Retrain him I said.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 1:03 pm

When having new tyres fitted, I always remove the wheel and take it to(in my case, a tyre company that only deals in motorcycle tyres) I stand and watch them remove the old tyre,clean the wheel, and fit and balance the new tyre with a new valve fitted. It usually costs me £60. I would Never trust anyone to remove and refit a wheel, it is my life at stake after all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 5:15 pm

£60 to me thats robbery
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 5:38 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Forgive and forget (this time). We all make mistakes. Who knows what was on his mind. Who knows what kind of cross he's carrying..<<<<<<<<<<<< That maybe true for you but we are talking about a major safety component that he paid someone to attend to while changing the tire. Notice the company response, doesn't say much for them either. I can relate to other work done stories Sad

I agree the company's response could have been better. The employee was apologetic and treated him with much respect. What else can one do, burn him at the stake?
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2016 7:34 pm

No need to burn Smile just hope it doesn't happen again. One dealership sent the tech on his own time to clean up the oil mess he left me with on one vehicle.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1982
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 12:05 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Teachable moment indeed.

To rely on others is to seek disappointment.

My 2¢: Given all the experience & work you've done on your scoot, you might consider removing the wheels and taking them to the dealer to have a new tire installed. Then reinstalling the wheel and caliper(s) yourself. Not only will you save money, but knowing that the dealer didn't have Denny Dickfingers service your scoot, you'll know that job is done correctly.

Tim

This is what I did when I got my SWing back from FL 3 years ago. I brought the tires in and had them replace and balance them. Then I brought them back home in a couple of days and reinstalled them myself.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 12:44 pm

Why is £60 robbery?. How much do you pay for your Bridgestone hoops?
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2016 6:35 pm

You did not say that included the tyre last one i bought was £25 i fitted it myself i have a new front one too that was the same money still to be fitted when i get round to it but normal cost would be around £50
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 12:57 pm

I thought anyone reading my post would realise of course I meant they supplied the tyre. I have been using the same people for my tyres for at least 10years. The last time I bought a tyre for my Deauville ( about 1998 I paid £84). Sharples was a well known supplier and fitter of Motorcycle tyres in the North West (Bolton). When they stopped fitting tyres, and just supplied tyres, their fitters started a company in Little Lever called B& C tyres they have a very good reputation. If you can buy Bridgestone hoops for £25 I would very much like to know where from as we both live in the North West of England. I'am just about ready for a new front tyre so please tell.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 30, 2016 5:47 pm

you got to watch ebay thats where i got them from
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 4:47 am

I watch eBay daily, buy all my filters, oil, and motorbike clothing. They have tyres currently at 58 pounds which does Not include fitting and balancing. Ihave never seen any tyres for 27pounds in the 7 years I have had Silver wings. Enough said I think.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2016 6:21 pm

Not watching Ebay enough then all I can say I bought both these within the last six months at £25 each plus post.
Sorry my mistake it was for the rear hoop £27.99 from Tyre demon ltd inc post i just looked them up in my paypal history and for the front as stated £25 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-tyre-for-Silverwing-Scooter-120-80-14-Brigestone-Hoop-58S-/331988506640?nma=true&si=rGvQmzl%252Bxbedne%252BCm3skgRJKSO0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Guess thats a slam dunk then HO HO HO
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 6:04 pm

yet another cheap rear tyre http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112284444966?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 6:05 pm

bought for £30 + post
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 6:43 pm

I also believe it's best to take the wheels to the tire supplier and let them mount and balance them. Take them off and reinstall them yourself. As already said it's cheaper and it's your body on the bike. I used to remove and install the tires on my Goldwing's wheels but these days I'd prefer to have someone else do the job. My current scooter with its open center rear wheel doesn't lend itself to hand balancing. The SW is easy to do.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 8:52 pm

I've been away from the forum for a bit: recovering and dealing with insurance headaches. I had a similar experience to janitorj (op) 's. I took my VLX 600 ( first bike) for a rear tyre change to a local shop recommended by a fellow rider. On the ride back from the shop, I got a hot metallic smell when I stopped at the lights. And then the bike just slowed right down to a crawl. I pulled over and found the rear hub was very hot. The rear brake drum had heated and tightened during the short ride. The guy who worked on the tyre change did not check the rear brake function afterwards.
I told the shop owner what happened, and he was non-committal and blase. Needless to say, I never returned.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Teachable Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Teachable Moment   Teachable Moment I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Teachable Moment
Page 1 of 1