Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Tyres today!

Go down 
+8
Leena H
Flyingpanman
Cookie
Greysilver
janitorj1
Cosmic_Jumper
sandancroy5
Chilliwing
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 1:51 pm

My 2009 Swing reached 14,000 kms and it was time to replace the original Hoops that came from the factory. The front tyre still had a bit of life, the rear had worn square with little tread left in the centre of the tyre.
The Honda manual recommends Hoops or IRC as replacements although other options exist. After reading through the forum discussions I decided to plum for the IRC, the Hoops I replaced lasted well albeit with a square profile on the rear for the last 2-3k but I thought I would try something different.

IRC for the Swing were not available in Canada so I ordered a pair from the US ($100 each) which were shipped and delivered quite promptly and I booked a time my Honda dealer for the install.
Riding to the dealer (100km) I slipped the larger front tyre over my Givi rack (box removed it was a perfect fit) and strapped the smaller rear on top with some tie downs.

The install took just over 90 mins and the charge was $180. On three separate occasions before I left the dealer I was told to take it easy on the new tyres for 150kms. First by the mechanic, then by the service manager and then by the wash boy when retrieving my Swing from the shop. The mechanic even added that the IRC have one of the slipperiest coatings he has come across on a tyre.
I thought to myself well I have been riding for 40 years and although this was not my first rodeo with new tyres, I was impressed with the concern expressed to customers.

Managed to scrub the the new tyres in with about 200 kms (extended trip in the sunshine) on the ride home. Early days but the feedback from the tyre was quite different than that of the Hoops from what I remember before they worn . Harder to scrub the side profiles until my confidence with cornering returns on the new tyres but far so good.

Back to top Go down
sandancroy5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sandancroy5

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2014-09-27

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 2:55 pm

fitted a new back tyre myself with help from this site. not as difficult as i thought.went to refuel for a trip later that day. crash bang wallop fell off on first junction. too much power and me and the swing lying on the road. few scratches to fairing and scraped the chrome off the exhaust. heat resistant paint sprayed on the effected area and it looks not bad at all. i am a small guy but had watched on youtube how to lift a fallen motorbike correctly and with little effort. it really does work.this stupid mistake proves your never too old to learn bounce
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 5:10 pm

sandancroy5 wrote:
fitted a new back tyre myself with help from this site. not as difficult as i thought.went to refuel for a trip later that day. crash bang wallop fell off on first junction. too much power and me and the swing lying on the road. few scratches to fairing and scraped the chrome off the exhaust. heat resistant paint sprayed on the effected area and it looks not bad at all. i am a small guy but had watched on youtube how to lift a fallen motorbike correctly and with little effort. it really does work.this stupid mistake proves your never too old to learn bounce
 Glad to hear that you are okay.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Pride and a little damage, not so bad!
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 9:47 pm

So where is this how to pick up a bike video? I've dropped mine a couple of times (sandy road, slow speed, not hurt, damaged, but...), and have gotten it upright, but damn, that was work!!.
Back to top Go down
sandancroy5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sandancroy5

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 12:59 pm

https://youtu.be/nrEu3qURwV0  if this link doesn't  work just look in youtube for how to lift a fallen motorcycle (woman teaches how to tip up a harley alone. i am 5ft 6in and 11 stone .did it and it really does work and thank goodness i had seen it. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 4:37 pm

Hi Guys, I have 10K miles and am looking at tires, I still have good tread. Ill probably go with replace stock. If it aint broke don't fix it.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 4:39 pm

Stones eh, I love these international forums. (about 160 pounds ?)
Back to top Go down
sandancroy5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sandancroy5

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 1:02 pm

11 stone or 160 pounds and 70kg its a big world out there cheers
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 6:53 pm

Ooh... so close... it's 154lb.
Back to top Go down
sandancroy5
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
sandancroy5

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Got to allow for inflation
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 5:16 pm

sandancroy5 wrote:
Got to allow for inflation

Good point, well made...

I wish I had only inflated to 160 lb. Ah well...
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 5:28 pm

So, if I weigh 11 stone I should inflate my tyres to 154lbs., or 160lbs?

jocolor

I'll get me coat...
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 4:01 pm

This very current topic for me. My SW is -10 with original Hoops. It had 3500 kms when bought and now 6500 kms with me. The tyres are -08. I usually ride long distance and the weather conditions are probably pretty much the same as in Scotland and in the northern states in U.S. or in Canada. I´m planning to get new tyres for the safety reasons for the next season. I had Metzeler tyres with my Gilera and was a little confused because of the center groove (front) as I thought it made the steering little sensitive for the cracks on the roads that are quite common in the north. Perhaps it´s works differently with Honda.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Any new tyres are better than old ones that have gone hard,I put new Avons on mine when I discovered the Bridgestones were old/hard.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2016 5:27 pm

I put new Metzeler Feel Free Wintecs on front and rear yesterday. They felt rock hard before fitting, not anything like as pliable as a normal motorcycle tyre. Had me a bit worried, but riding them is just fine. Time will tell if they are as good as people say.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 1:55 am

So what happened? Was the bead not seated? Axle nut? What caused you to go down? What had to be done to correct the problem?

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 5:13 am

Modernman1953 wrote:
So what happened?  Was the bead not seated?  Axle nut?  What caused you to go down?  What had to be done to correct the problem?

I think you'll find - if you read the first two posts - that the rider had not allowed for the greasy coating on a brand new tyre. This is used to release the tyre from the mould when manufactured and needs to be ridden with great care until rubbed away naturally or "scrubbed in".
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 5:34 am

Yes, you really have to be very careful after having a new tyre/tyres fitted for at least the first 100 miles or so to scrub off the mould release agent on the tyres. I had a full set of Continental ContiMove 365 tyres fitted recently and I was very aware of the lack of adhesion especially when going into roundabouts.

Luckily I have a fail safe warning device, my butthole puckers up!   Shocked Three months on the tyres are a lot better, but it's still one hell of a job wearing off all those unsightly rubber bristles?
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 6:51 am

Meldrew wrote:
...Three months on the tyres are a lot better, but it's still one hell of a job wearing off all those unsightly rubber bristles?

Just use a belt sander. Also does a convincing job on knee and toe sliders. Wink Wink  Laughing
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

New Tyres today! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Tyres today!   New Tyres today! I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 14, 2016 9:50 am

I know that everyone has their own opinion of which tires (or tyres for those east of the pond) work best for them. My first Swing, a 2007, came with the OEM Hoops which as others have stated wore into a square pattern on the rear and sculpted on the front, which generated a lot of vibration on curves. I replaced them with Metzlers and was immediately amazed at how much better they held the road in all weather conditions. They track better through curves and grip like crazy, even on wet pavement. I have stayed with the Metzlers ever since I first tried them and would recommend them to anyone. I should also add that I have heard others who offered similar praise for Pirelli Diablos and Michelins.
Back to top Go down

New Tyres today!
Page 1 of 1