Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Another new Silverwing owner.

Go down 
+5
sonuvabug
Kenjj50
dekare
Modernman1953
Blzrmike
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Blzrmike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-08-31

Another new Silverwing owner. Empty
PostSubject: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:06 am

Hi all, looks like a pretty good forum here. I've been riding scooters ever since my back surgeries made getting on and off regular motorcycles really difficult. Started with Honda Aero 80 that I had to resurrect, bought a 125 Yamaha Riva that had not run for 13 years, only had 415 miles on it. Couple of years ago I got a 250 Honda Reflex that works pretty good for how I ride. A week ago I bought a 2003 Silverwing that's in good condition and only 14,000 miles on it. I'm keeping the Reflex as it's just too good of a scooter to get rid of. Amazing how much difference those 350cc's make in acceleration though. I just put a new drive belt on, and I see the clutch pads need replacing also. The previous owner was pretty timid when taking off, and the pads are pretty glazed. It's kinda nice working on bikes that still have new replacement parts available. Looking forward to gleaning lots of information from this great forum.....Mike Anderson
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:48 am

Welcome from Seattle.
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 7:53 am

Congrats! I too just purchased my Wing about 3 weeks ago. Same mileage, one year newer. Still evaluating it, but in the meantime, find it handy to get around with.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 8:51 am

Welcome to the forum from the Land of Lincoln. Look forward to your posts!
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 924
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 9:33 am

Welcome aboard the board Mike. We too loved our '05 Reflex ... but had to thin the herd and sold that sweet scooter.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 9:39 am

Welcome to the forum, Blzrmike.

At 14000 miles I kind of doubt that the clutch pads are worn out. If they are actually shot they are not very expensive and easy enough to change. Best bet though is to pull the Driven Pulley and rough up (deglaze) the pads with emery cloth and deglaze the Clutch Bell with it too.

While you've got the belt case apart you might consider replacing the Variator rollers with Dr Pulley Sliders. Many of us here have made that change and are happy with the resulting smoother low speed engagement and improved performance.

That said, at 14000 miles you are approching the "official" 16000 mile belt-change interval (when the "V" light comes on). Again many here have exceeded 20000 miles before replacing the belt. In all the years I've been associated with Silverwing forums I only recall 3 or 4 incidences when a drive belt has failed and left the rider stranded. IIRC one failure was due to dry rot and two were caused by the variator bolt & pulley sheave not being installed & torqued properly.

If you aren't already aware, Partzilla has great prices on OEM Honda parts --much better than the prices you'll get from your local dealer (who won't have them in-stock anyway).

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Scooter/2003/FSC600D+AC/parts.html

Tim
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:00 pm

Welcome BLZRMIKE.

I also just bought my 09 Silverwing 3 weeks ago.
Looks like 3 weeks ago was a popular time.
Have put 1000 miles on it already.

Cosmic. You mention deglaze the clutch. What grit emery would you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:48 pm

Reg wrote:
<>You mention deglaze the clutch. What grit emery would you recommend?

Dunno what grit. I've got a 1/2 roll of 2" emery cloth left over from my working days. It looks to be about 120 grit and was used to clean copper pipe to prep for soldering.

Be sure to plug the center bearing hole in the Driven Pulley when you deglaze the pads.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Blzrmike
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-08-31

PostSubject: Another new owner   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 8:23 pm

I tried making a reply to one of the posts, but it wouldn't let me? Thanks for the greetings, it's good to be here. I've been a Partzilla patron for years, one of the better sources around. I also put Dr. Pulley sliders in my Reflex a couple of years ago, and really like how they work. Will probably install when I do the clutch weights. My weights might be beyond deglazing because they have a bunch of little stress cracks in them. New ones are only $56, I don't mind spending money on my toys, just ask my wife! Anyway, good to be here and I'm sure I'll learn a lot....Mike Anderson
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 3:14 pm

Welcome from o-HI-o Smile
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Welcome from a slightly "warm" Arizona!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another new Silverwing owner.   Another new Silverwing owner. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another new Silverwing owner.
Page 1 of 1