Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

And yet ... another rattle question

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
exavid
Mike from NS
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

And yet ... another rattle question Empty
PostSubject: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 pm

My Silverwing is a 2005 with approx 19,000 kms on it.

I was out today for a 200km ride so had more chances to listen to this rattle that sounds like nuts bouncing around in the drive linkage. I'm tending to think the rollers are worn but before tearing it apart I would appreciate comments from the more experienced than me. (That would be most of you.) The rattle begins when the tach shows 3500 and this rattle stops at 3700 - 3800. On slowing back to and below 3500 there is no rattle. It only appears when increasing the speed and when 3500 is reached.

I realize my description isn't much to go on but thought I'd ask for comments before taking things apart, realizing I am about 5000km before the recommended belt replacement and probably rollers at that time.

Thanks,

Mike
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Do you hear the rattle when the bike is running on the center stand? One caveat, I always put the front tire against a good stop or tie the center stand forward on the bike so it can't let the bike down with the rear wheel spinning. A piece of dowel pressed against one's ear with the other end in various spots on the bike can also help isolate the source of the sound.
If it doesn't rattle on the stand one other thing that sometimes works is to put masking tape across the gaps in the plastic one area at a time. That often will work to find Tupperware rattles.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 6:25 am

I don't think this is Tupperware rattle, Paul. But I'll check it out with running on the center stand today, and report back. The dowel idea is a really one. I'll try this as well. Thanks for the suggestions.
Mike
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 9:08 am

Could well be the OEM rollers rattling in the variator. I noticed a similar noise when I began riding my '09 S'Wing. Then it kind of turned into a herky-jerky engagement in low speed and congested traffic --not the traditional shuddering of a glazed clutch. I changed over to Dr Pulley sliders, sand papered the clutch bell and shoes while I was in the neighborhood. Now smooth engagement and no more rattle.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 7:31 pm

I tried to mimic the rattle on the center stand this evening.  Not with much success.  I expect rattle is something I've noticed after the bike is well warmed up, engine and drive train.  Probably after 20 - 25 kms or so. What did happen was, while on the side stand [center stand] I ran it up with pressure on the rear brake.  When doing this the rattle re-appeared.  And in the same area of 3500 rpm and vanished near 3800. It seemed to be running a bit rougher than is normal as well. But still just in the driveway and not warmed up.  Also while on the center stans with no brale applied, there was no rattle.  So what is one to do but go for a short ride .... needing gas aided the decision.   So in about 15 kms It only rattled a couple of times, (when under the greatest loads of going up a decent grade)  and not as severe a rattle as when well warmed up.  Like in the 200 kms yesterday. The de-glazing effect of running to 4000 with the brake on helped smooth out the feel too.

I haven't used the dowel to listen yet but will do this too.  I'm thinking I will have to take the covers off and get a physical look at the rollers to be certain if this is the source of the loose rattle.

I would like to have the Dr Pulley sliders in hand when I take it apart however.

Does any of this give rise to other thoughts?

Mike

[Edit by Moderator]
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Another 2¢ opinion.

If you are going to order Dr Pulley Sliding Weights you might also want to order the (4) sliding pieces too. They are the 'plastic' pieces that snap on the fixed variator ramp plate and which guide the moveable variator sheave in & out with the roller (sliders) action. Those sliding pieces can wear and may cause a ratteling noise if worn too much. Doubtful given your mileage though. But...

Tim
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 10:50 pm

Running the de-glazing procedure on the side stand is very dangerous and I don't recommend it. If the brake let loose for whatever reason, your bike could launch itself forward out of control. Always do it either on the center stand or in a unobstructed area sitting on the bike. Always use the parking brake and hold the left brake handle while running engine at 4k rpm for about 4 seconds.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 7:47 am

Rollers rattle's more then Dr pulley.the rattle resonates through the body works and out from the front cowling. When riding at moderate speed waring a 1/2 helmet I can hear the rattling echoing back from the tall grass from the the side of the hwy,and stops ware the grass has been cut short,and comes back where the grass is tall. The swing motor is so quite ,you hear all the other sound's coming from the drive train.With a cruiser V twin the thumping of the motor is all you can hear.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 11:59 am

frustrated Topic Hijacked. Please take the side stand vs center stand "discussion" to the new topic.

Tim
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2016 2:40 pm

Mine makes all sorts of rattles, so I wear ear plugs :-) Runs alright though. But not on the sidestand for those who are worried.
Back to top Go down
zgoldwingman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2016-07-25

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Mike from NS wrote:

I was out today for a 200km ride so had more chances to listen to this rattle that sounds like nuts bouncing around in the drive linkage.  I'm tending to think the rollers are worn but before tearing it apart I would appreciate comments from the more experienced than me. (That would be most of you.)  The rattle begins when the tach shows 3500 and this rattle stops at 3700 - 3800.  On slowing back to and below 3500 there is no rattle.  It only appears when increasing the speed and when 3500 is reached.

I realize my description isn't much to go on but thought I'd ask for comments before taking things apart, realizing I am about 5000km before the recommended belt replacement and probably rollers at that time.

Thanks,

Mike
Just got my '03 SW a couple weeks ago. As soon as I got home with it, I joined this forum. As soon as I came up on your post and read it and realized the one I just bought does the same thing. After riding it for a couple weeks, knowing that rattle is not right I took the clutch/drive cover off and pulled the front pulley. I knew that it had 26g Dr. Pulley sliders, per previous owner. Hadn't worked on a SW for a few years, so I got out an old Dr. Pulley box I had some stock rollers in for the instructions. SLIDERS were in backwards. Not upside down, but turned 180deg. The rattle is gone, way quicker off idle to moving and smoother. If you don't have sliders this probably won't help. If you have rollers, I would check for need of replacing.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 8:49 pm

zgoldwingman wrote:
Mike from NS wrote:

I was out today for a 200km ride so had more chances to listen to this rattle that sounds like nuts bouncing around in the drive linkage.  I'm tending to think the rollers are worn but before tearing it apart I would appreciate comments from the more experienced than me. (That would be most of you.)  The rattle begins when the tach shows 3500 and this rattle stops at 3700 - 3800.  On slowing back to and below 3500 there is no rattle.  It only appears when increasing the speed and when 3500 is reached.

Thanks,

Mike
Just got my '03 SW a couple weeks ago. As soon as I got home with it, I joined this forum. As soon as I came up on your post and read it and realized the one I just bought does the same thing. After riding it for a couple weeks, knowing that rattle is not right I took the clutch/drive cover off and pulled the front pulley. I knew that it had 26g Dr. Pulley sliders, per previous owner. Hadn't worked on a SW for a few years, so I got out an old Dr. Pulley box I had some stock rollers in for the instructions. SLIDERS were in backwards. Not upside down, but turned 180deg. The rattle is gone, way quicker off idle to moving and smoother. If you don't have sliders this probably won't help. If you have rollers, I would check for need of replacing.

This helps a great deal ... thanks for sharing your experience.  I expect I have rollers rather than skiders - but don't really know.  The rattle seems to be more consistent after the bike is warmed up ... say after 7 or 8 kms.  Then I can be sure to expect the rattle at 3500rpm.   I can get some rollers from the dealer ... Dr Pulley sliders will take longer to arrive (probably through eBay).  But to have something "new" on hand for re-assembly I'll go for the rollers.  And when I get some time I'll take it apart.

Thanks again .... I'll report back when I have something to report (and conclude my story).

Mike
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2016 6:48 am

I have 100k kl on my 09 swing and I hear a rattling sound coming from the right side when on the HYW ,only hear it when riding with my half helmet on . the sound comes and go depending on  how high the grass is on the side of the HYW and stops when the grass is cut short,or a rock cliff by the shoulder of the road. 75 k kl with Dr pulley 24 grams sliders. The belt is good up 35 k kl or when you notice a higher rpm at 100 klph,and the V light goes on with hard acceleration and you loose 5 mpg on  the gas is time to replace the belt. .Deer whistles on the front fender will also make noise that you can hear when riding with a half helmet on . You will always hear rattling coming from a scooter.The 650 Burgman has the same rattling sound . It is what it is. Ware ear plugs and keep on riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And yet ... another rattle question   And yet ... another rattle question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

And yet ... another rattle question
Page 1 of 1