Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New member introduction

Go down 
+7
Chilliwing
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
oldwingguy
Mike from NS
cotetoi
zotto
11 posters
AuthorMessage
zotto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-06-01

New member introduction  Empty
PostSubject: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi everyone,
I am Otto, Z. From British Columbia, Canada. At 73, was blessed with extreme adventures and a lot of grown up TOYS but never rode or had a motorbike. I bought a 2009 Honda SW600 with only 280 K
of a Lady- for her was to heavy. I finished a riding course on a Honda 250, passed the skill test and have a Learners licence. Never fell off it while riding slow through all the manoeuvres but on mine I fell nine times already, feels too heavy and at more than 10 degree stopping can't keep it upright. Still a beautiful bike, don't want to sell it, will do a lot of practice but for now 50% of pleasure riding it is gone. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Otto, welcome to the forum , from the other side....of the country, that is.
Is the SWing too tall for you? Are you keeping the handlebars straight when you come to a stop? If you don't, then you are setting up for a drop. Also, there is a huge weight difference between a 250 and a 600. I have both and I know. I do things on my 250 that I would never dare try on the SWing. Are you physically able to handle a fairly heavy bike ?
Practice is fine if you are doing the right things, but won't help if you are doing the wrong things.
I suggest you get a professional instructor or a seasoned rider friend to guide you. Then, practice the right stuff.
Hope this helps.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Hello Otto. I, too am from the other side of the country. Welcome.

Are you applying lots of braking on the front brake when you are stopping? If so, maybe this is your problem that is taking you down. Especially if in combination with what Jay mentions above.

Be careful out there and be patient for as you say the Silverwing is a heavy bike to learn on. Once I got used to the weight and built some confidence I came into full agreement with all that people say about the Silverwing being a great bike.
Mike
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 8:56 pm

Head up eyes where you want to go and stop in a straight line, the coasting factor takes a little getting used to but even steady pressure on the brakes will help.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 10:23 pm

Practice makes perfect. Most falls happen at slow speeds, e.g. parking lot maneuvers. Why not try longer rides at "higher" speeds to build your confidence. That way when you do return that crashing sound will reassure your family that "Dad's home!" Above all, Relax!!!.. You've done this before.

Tim

PS: Can you flat foot it with both feet when stopped? If you are inseam challenged you can get the seat padding resculpted and the seat cover restretched to give your thighs a bit more room. Or you could get boots with higher heels.

Whatever, don't give up.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 am

Tim

PS: Can you flat foot it with both feet when stopped? If you are inseam challenged you can get the seat padding resculpted and the seat cover restretched to give your thighs a bit more room. Or you could get boots with higher heels.

Whatever, don't give up.[/quote]

Good thought Tim, I know G'Wingers with that problem, others also. Eyes up square up does a lot for stability.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 am

If a motorcycle or maxi scooter is physically too tall or too heavy for the owner to handle safely, they've made the wrong choose purchasing it initially. If it's a problem after a period of ownership then it's time to get rid of it for something lighter or smaller. Constantly falling off or dropping it is going to ruin your confidence, and as you get older even minor injuries take longer to heal.

I have no problem with the weight of my Silver Wing but it's still a heavy beast and more so when it's loaded up for touring, and/or with a passenger.  I'm getting rid of mine simply because I don't want or need a scooter weighing 247kg (544lb) any more. It's irrelevant what other riders do with bigger heavier bikes, if the OP's concerned enough to join this forum and make his initial post about the weight issue it's obviously a problem.

Resculpted seats and high heeled boots aren't going to make the problem go away, choosing a 250-300cc scooter weighing under 200kg will.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 10:57 am

Hello Otto, I am from the same side of the country!

I remember purchasing a brand new 1976 Yamaha RD250DX and promptly putting in the garage and falling over with the bike. It happened a few more times (felt like a complete fool) until I was able to get used to the weight and balance of the bike. Even on the road there were times when confidence was lacking and a few wobbles occurred. I enrolled for a Metropolitan Police course in my home town and with practice and guidance never looked back.
I now see all too often Baby Boomers buying brand new Harley's (heavy nasty vibrators) and wobbling around corners on them having never ridden any kind of bike before.
So my advice to you is take a course (there are many in the lower mainland) if you are confident find an experienced biking buddy and get out and ride, you will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 11:01 am

Hello from Seattle area.

Your bike could be just too big for you or perhaps you just need to adjust your riding style.

The Burgman 400 is much lighter.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New member introduction  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 3:08 pm

Welcome Otto. Hope you get that riding pleasure above 50%.

Were the falls while trying to do intricate tasks or putting on the center stand or....? Maybe with more information more advice could be given.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 pm

Hello from the Land of Lincoln! Glad to have you join the forum. We look forward to your posts!
Back to top Go down
zotto
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 12:24 am

Thanks: Jay, Mike,Tim, Meldrew, Cilliwing, Modernman,Oldwingman, Kenjj50 etc ! For all your opinions and advises. Like I sed I took a riding course on a Honda 250 with clutch and gears wanting to get a full license not only for scooter and I passed the test on that bike and did not practice on my GW. Now I'm getting slowly more confident. Now I can even believe the Quotation that : LIFE IS LIKE A MOTORCYCLE, IF YOU WANT TO KEEP IT BALLANCED YOU HAVE TO KEEP GOING !
And YES I will, keep the steering straight when stop- will look where I want to go when I turn, yes practice makes perfect, - yes I can reach flat feet down from my seat- yes at 73 have to keep in shape
Because the DEATH IS LOOKING FOR ME AT HOME BUT I'M OUT RIDING MY BIKE,.... OTTO
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Good for you, Otto. The more you ride the better it gets. Try and get on an advanced course if you can and you will find your confidence and safety will improve no end, especially doing it on your own bike. Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member introduction    New member introduction  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New member introduction
Page 1 of 1