Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New member from Europe
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Today at 4:47 am

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 4:25 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

» Low charging
Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby yammer Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Cooling System Maintenance

Go down 
+3
john grinsel
Cosmic_Jumper
janitorj1
7 posters
AuthorMessage
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

Cooling System Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 6:42 pm

I haven't seen anything here about the cooling system.

Does it need annual flushing?

Drain and Fill?

Anti-Freeze Recommendations?

I'm a former Ford Dealership Parts and Service Manager, so I've got some general knowledge - but I also know the "sales" side of this. Sold a bunch of cooling system "flushes" at dealerships - but are they necessary for the Swing?

General thoughts, processes and procedures...
🚬
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Use Honda Coolant.

Other opinions to follow...

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Ride it to at least 50,000 and then worry. Meantime if waterpump fails/leaks replace.
Coolant...maybe change at 50,000 miles, using Honda stuff.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Your choice of any that are designed for aluminum engines, OEM or others the biggest difference between them? color and price.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2016 8:43 pm

My Silver Wing is over five years old and changed the coolant about a year ago for no other reason than I'd probably been reading too many posts from the cool kids on here. I bought Honda branded coolant from the local Honda car dealer just because I happened to be passing the showroom one day.  It was easy enough to undo the drain plug without removing any Tupperware, and the stuff I drained off didn't look any different from the fresh coolant I added. Then again neither did the brake fluid I changed around about the same time.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 12:05 am

How many Kilometers/miles are on the scooter?
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 5:18 am

Modern coolant lasts a few years so don't worry too much. Mine is four and a half years old and I'll probably change it sometime this year.

The important thing is that the coolant should not contain any silicates. This is important as silicates will damage the water pump seals.
Just make sure it says 'NO SILICATES' or words to that effect on the label somewhere.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2016 9:46 am

Google, Wickepidea, gives a pretty good explanation on differences in the anti freeze industry. I do know I can't buy 100% Honda and add a gallon of distilled water to mix with it to get the 50 - 50 mix. Our Honda shop sells only the premixed at the dealership, what I was told it was for the mechanics convenience so they didn't have to bother doing that. In any case the color doesn't matter unless it's Dexcool ( GM ) the rest is just dyed to suit the brand. Diesel application has other additives not used in automotive. Aluminum is used somewhere in most all engines so using your choice of a low silicate brand should cover most everything we drive. Remember the day when Methanol was used? now it's being phased out slowly but surely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooling System Maintenance   Cooling System Maintenance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cooling System Maintenance
Page 1 of 1