Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Ran out of Gas

Go down 
+14
Seadog
Meldrew
bicyclenut
dalehazelton
Crustycrutch
phils a winger
Cosmic_Jumper
MikeO
exavid
Greysilver
Mike from NS
john grinsel
Dale N.
razorback
18 posters
AuthorMessage
razorback
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
razorback

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2016-01-31

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 9:27 am

7] a short story of you most interesting ride.

a few weeks ago went on a ride and hit a LOT of wind 1/2 way into the ride on the way to work... took long way to work a 3 hour ride, and normally takes 12 mins to get to work affraid as most Swings have a fuel Gage that has its own mind, trip meter said 140 miles i missed a turn and time was getting short and got 30 mins off my route. so started pushing the swing 70-80 mpg into all that wind and cross wind with head down, millage at 170 and 20 miles to get to work and 30 mins to do it.... 170+20 miles = 190 miles = still have 20-40 miles of gas left..... right!! ran out of gas with 10 miles to go to work millage at 193 ... i did not figure in less millage because of the turbulence, was getting about 45 mph our swings i think have a 4.3 gal tank = an avg of 230 miles per tank. so coasted to a church parking lot got a ride to town for a jug of gas, the lady happened to own a hog farm, got her number and later went and purchased 50 pounds of bacon for $20.00
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 1:52 pm

I know what you mean razorback. I had a 78 Jeep Cherokee way back when and the gas gauge read 1/4 of a tank. My wife suggested I pull into that gas station and fill up. I told her we have 1/4 of a tank left and I'll get gas before we get to our destination. Needless to say the Jeep started sputtering and I ran out of gas about 1 mile before the next station. The walk did me good... Her mocking me didn't...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 3:14 pm

SilverWing ideal time to gas----125-150 miles on odometer. Trip in strange places I gas at 100 miles.

Walking sucks. I do not trust fuel gauge.

Most places in N America, there is at least gas every100 miles or so. Only ride I knew I had to carry gas---road to James Bay in Quebec.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2016 3:28 pm

razorback ... best part of your story is the deal you got on the bacon !!!

a similar true story: A friend and his wife rented a scooter each in Bermuda when on a vacation. A distance into their ride around the island her bike ran out of gas. He said he would go back to a gas station they just passed for a can of gas. Remember they rented the bikes at the same time ..... So a couple of hundred feet on the way back for gas, his bike ran out too. Happens to the best of us....

Mike
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 7:23 pm

A one gallon plastic rated gas container is a good thing out of town in Arizona - New Mexico and west Texas. There may well be a cross road corner station present but that doesn't mean it will be open. Night time, out of town, on a tour, have a little xtra gas.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 9:12 pm

One other consideration is reducing speed when the gas gauge is low. It makes a surprisingly large difference in the distance you can go at 45mph compared to 70+. It seems every bike I've owned really begins to suck up fuel once you exceed 70mph. Not surprising, that speed is fast enough to lift every airplane I've owned off the ground. My last, a Mooney Exec. rotated and lifted off around 65mph.
So if the gauge is low you should slow.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3810
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 5:37 am

Once upon a time, manufacturers' fuel consumption statistics were based on the Urban Cycle, 56 MPH being the speed mentioned.

I've found that travelling at around that figure, up to 60, give me the most frugal fuel consumption.

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 10:19 am

5000 rpm is the magic number for Silverwings. Exceed that rpm and your fuel efficiency diminishes directly proportional to your rpm increase. Exceeding 5K rpm you can think of the tachometer as an inefficiency meter: 6000rpm is 60% inefficient; 7000 rpm is 70% inefficient... etc.

So as Paul W said, "When the gauge is low you should go slow.

I once stretched a flashing reserve for 95+ miles in rural Maine keeping the tach at 4000 rpm. Turned out that I could have gone a lot further when I filled up that 'next' gas station. I probably still had ~1/2 gallon still left in that tank IIRC.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 12:07 pm

Rural Maine is a very exciting place, especially at midnight. Frankly it doesn't matter a hoot if at midnight, you have a flashing fuel warning light on in rural Maine or west Texas Shocked .
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 4:25 pm

i usually re-fuel every 4 days at 160 miles, the last 2 weeks my commute has increased by a mile or so each way ( rail bridge replacement, 6 months !), 4 days is now between 170 and 180, yesterday with 175 miles on it took 14 litres, 16 litre tank so had 2 left, 55mpg - 1/2 gallon = 25 miles, think i'll stick to fill at 160 or thereabouts, after 160 it always feels like its running on fumes and even empty who has ever managed to get in the tank what a manufacturer says it will hold ?
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 4:58 pm

I'm at an age now where mileage is dictated by my bladder!
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 7:38 pm

Maybe a MSR bottle would be a good investment.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 am

I have two; they are very handy.
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 1:22 pm

dalehazelton wrote:
Maybe a MSR bottle would be a good investment.

For the bladder or the gas Laughing
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 2:58 pm

The neck's not wide enough for the former. Razz
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 5:22 pm

MSR ?
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 5:49 pm

MSR bottles are specifically designed to carry liquid fuel for camping stoves but are used by many motorcyclist to carry extra gasoline, especially off road riders. The largest holds a little less than a liter (0.85 liters) and they area very leak-proof and don't suggest they are some other liquid due to color of bottle.

Ran out of Gas S33oz10

Amazon Link
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Primus bottles are identical except for the name on the side. Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Greysilver wrote:
MSR ?

MSR=Mountain Safety Research, MSR bottles primary use is as a fuel bottle connected to a MSR stove.

Another similar looking alloy fuel bottle is the Swiss made Sigg bottle. I've got a pair of battered Sigg bottles that I've used since the Seventies mainly for Coleman Fuel for my Peak 1 stove, or methylated spirits/denatured alcohol when I used to use a Trangia stove.

I bought a 1.5 litre Fuel Friend canister in Germany a few years ago which I originally intended to use as an emergency reserve if I was going out in the back end of beyond. As I've had no pressing urge to go anywhere out in the back of beyond, or even off the beaten track in the near future it remains unused. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 9:25 pm

The easiest way to improve your mpg is to use Imperial (UK) gallons, instead of US gallons: They're 20% bigger!  Wink
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 10:48 pm

Thank you everyone for the answers and the alternatives. Ill get one soon at a hiking shop.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2016 4:31 am

Seadog wrote:
The easiest way to improve your mpg is to use Imperial (UK) gallons, instead of US gallons: They're 20% bigger!  Wink

... and 20% more expensive to buy. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 9:02 am

I was riding my 750 along one of New Brunswick's isolated highways that cuts across the central part. It was my first time on that road and my buddy had not been on it for a few years. No fuel gauge but I could hear the fuel sloshing, and figured it was not a good sign. I just barely made it out on fumes, and, luckily at the first sign of civilization, at Juniper, there was a gas station. Lesson learned: now I try to figure out the distance and remoteness, and fill up accordingly. If my buddy stops at a gas station, I top up. Worrying about fuel is a damper on any ride.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-07-03

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: fuel cans   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2016 9:51 am

On our little trip to Broken Hill Western NSW I took 2 5litre jerry cans in our little camper trailer. I was using them every second day as the distances between towns in outback NSW is sometimes 250 to 300 kms which when ur pulling a trailer on a Swing they come in very handy.
Back to top Go down
hardee41
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
hardee41

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-23

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ran out of Gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2016 1:30 pm

I always have a pt. of fuel under the seat. Why not?
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Ran out of Gas Empty
PostSubject: Ran out of gas   Ran out of Gas I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2016 7:43 am

I have a 3 litre Touratech fuel container which has a neck wide enough to fill from the pumps.  I have carried it with me for several years but so far have not needed to use it.  Happiness on tour is a full  tank !
Back to top Go down

Ran out of Gas
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Rides and Stories-
Jump to: