Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST

Go down 
+9
terrier
Old Limey
bikerboy
Meldrew
exavid
Kenjj50
oldwingguy
phils a winger
paul9
13 posters
AuthorMessage
paul9
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
paul9

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-02-23

HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST Empty
PostSubject: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Hello everyone.

Im Paul from the u.k northwest,Lancashire.

just recently picked up my silverwing.

had a burgman 650 exectitve as my last scooter,but found it a bit heavy to manouver round my small garden,past all my other projects.

Looked at the silverwings before opting for the burgman,so had no hesitations in getting one .

I have a few more two wheelers aswell,mainly classic old mopeds,honda express,di blasi,honda st70,honda cd175 and an old cz175.not really everyday bikes so thats why i opted for the silverwing.

All good so far,just a sticking caliper that made it seem as heavy as my burgman to move around,but freed that off yesterday.

Planning on a trip up through the lakes and then over to tan hill in the summer months.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Get yourself a large rubber mallet if you park up for more than a couple of days during winter, up here in scotland i've been using mine most of the winter except for high winds and snow. A quick tap on the caliper usually frees the pad from the disc.

By the way welcome to the best silver wing site

how do you cope with the left had kickstart lever that doubles as a gear lever on the cz, had a 74 cz 175 and a 634/4 jawa 350, both had this oddity !
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 5:24 pm

Welcome from o-HI-o land of wet.
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 8:08 pm

Welcome. Was in your neighborhood 8 months ago on a coach tour of the British Isles. Beautiful country for riding. I thought it would be marvelous to tour Scotland on a bike.

This is a great site for Swing owners. Lots of interesting people and ideas. A wealth of information and expertise. Welcome again from Chicagoland!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 10:42 pm

If one is experiencing brakes dragging on a SW pull the bolts that attach the calipers. It's not uncommon on many model Hondas with floating calipers to corrode from muck and water and not allow the caliper to move freely from side to side. You can diagnose the situation easily by using a mirror and flashlight (torch over there). If one pad on a caliper is worn noticeably more than the other the caliper is frozen or at least stiffened up by rust and corrosion. Best cure is to pull the caliper and clean the sliding area on the bolts and caliper, re-lube with water resistant grease, boat trailer wheel bearing grease is great, and reassemble.
I've seen Goldwing brakes completely lock up due to this problem in my old shop. The SW brake system isn't exactly the same but similarly enough to cause problems.
Part of the reason is that many people seem to think that when you release the brakes the pucks withdraw from the disk. In actuality they don't, they merely release the pressure against the disk but don't actually withdraw into the caliper. When actuating the brakes the caliper has to slide outward to put pressure against the inner pad and disk. The outer pucks do the pulling. If the caliper can't move freely, albeit it's not much movement, the pressure on the inner disk can't be relieved.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 5:02 am

paul9 wrote:
Hello everyone.

Im Paul from the u.k northwest,Lancashire.

Planning on a trip up through the lakes and then over to tan hill in the summer months.

Hello mate, I'm from Cumbria and moved to York when I retired. I know you're a strange lot over in Lancashire so I'm curious to why you want to go to Tan Hill.

There's nothing up there but the Tan Hill Inn. It was famous for Everest double glazing ads donkeys years ago, gets cut off by snow regularly in winter, and is located near to the old historical boundaries of Cumberland, County Durham, and Yorkshire.

I went there once nearly 30 years ago when a load of old vintage bikes and cars on the Beamish Rally went past and I've never had the urge to go back since.

There's a signpost on the A66 up on Stainmore pointing to Tan Hill which jogs my memory every time I see it. In fact I'm going over to Cumbria at the weekend, it'll be bloody cold up there! Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Hello from the Northwest   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 am

Tan Hill isn't much of a destination of itself but there are some great riding roads through the Dales to get there (and back) and also some lesser used roads towards the Lake District.  I aim to get there at least once this year, certainly beats the York bypass any day !!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 6:03 am

I'd certainly agree about the York ring road as it was very congested on the way back from the gym earlier this morning. The good thing for me is using part of it I can get to and from Hull for ferries easily.

I mainly ride to the Dales for pie and mash in Skipton, the Dales aren't that much different from riding in parts of rural Cumbria, and some of the Yorkshire Dales National Park is in Cumbria.

Tan Hill is just one of these weird destinations that bikers think they have to ride to. Devil's Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale is another place that attracts a lot of riders from Lancashire, is it because you can't get bacon rolls on the other side of Morecambe Bay?   Smile

Last edited by Meldrew on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 am

Hello bikerboy  Every Wednesday I have a run to Southport. I don't particularly like Southport but, I like the ride there and back If you have other bikes you don't need any advice from me on where to ride in Lancashire or Yorkshire. Watch out for Meldrew he defected from Cumbria and now sides with the Yorkists, and  casts aspersions on us generous, thrifty Lancastrians. Laughing
Back to top Go down
terrier
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2015-08-12

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Paul....Welcome to the forum from a UK Northeast member. I bought my SWing last year from a guy at Bolton-le-Sands. Lots of good info and helpful members on here.

Den
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 4:27 am

Hi, Paul and welcome from the Midlands. Lovely weather down here but can't get out as waiting for a new rear tyre!!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 8:28 am

Paul, you've found the best hangout of SWing owners and riders. The collective knowledge on this site is phenomenal.
Welcome from New Brunswick in Atlantic Canada. Signs of an early Spring here, but I don't dare say it too loud !!! Can't wait to get the old girl shined up and ready for the season.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Art
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2015-12-25

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Welcome, also from the sunny state of Texas
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1992
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST   HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi Paul and welcome to the best SWing site on the net. Lots of information and people here who are willing to give what help they can. It's supposed to get into the mid 50's tomorrow so I'm looking forward to my first ride of this year. My 08 SWing is ready to go and so am I.
Back to top Go down

HELLO FROM THE NORTHWEST
Page 1 of 1