Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
What do you think? I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

What do you think?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 7:40 am

I am due to collect my new SW next week. It has been registered as a 2016 bike but presumably, as the SW is coming to the end of its model run, my bike may have been sitting in storage for some time. Maybe even years.

My question is this. How might that period of storage affect the bike in the long term? And what, if any, additional early maintenance might be worth doing to mitigate any possible effects?
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 9:23 am

Hey, Crusty. There are several areas you need to pay immediate attention to: battery, tires, brakes, coolant and oil and final drive oil change. Your first ride on the SWing will also give you a better idea as to what needs to be done down the road.
Tires deteriorate over time, and they have a limited lifespan. So do the coolant and oils. Plenty of reading for you on this forum on these topics. Use the " Search" function as things come to you. Almost all your queries will have been answered.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 9:37 am

The North American Silverwings have a VIN# plate is located on the right side near the radiator, above the front wheel. Ya gotta get down on your knees and look up to see it. Right side of the scoot, left side as you are looking for that plate. Anyway that VIN plate states the year of manufacture, so that should answer your initial question.

If you have confidence in your dealer I wouldn't anguish about other problems due to the scoot having been warehoused for that period of time. Just enjoy the ride.

Tim

[Edit] Jay make good points too.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

What do you think? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   What do you think? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2016 1:06 pm

Take a really close look at the tires for fine cracks.  There was plenty of tread on the tires of my 2005 but after some time I noticed all the cracks in the sidewalls.  Then I found the tire date code which indicated the tires were 10 years old.  Most likely they were the original tires on the bike.  They were changed before I rode it again !!  I learned from people here that 5 or maybe 6 years is the "shelf" life of the tires.

Mike
Back to top Go down

What do you think?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: