Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hi there guys
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 12:16 pm

» Rear shock longevity
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 9:07 am

» Final Drive Noise banished
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:14 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

screw in rear tire

Go down 
+8
oldgwingguy
gremlin
exavid
Old Limey
DickO
Meldrew
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
12 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Before riding my SilverWing this afternoon, checked tires-----rear had self tapping screw at edge of tread----turned it out and of course air came out (screw almost 1/4 inch or near 6mm)
"Ride On" did not or could not seal leak. So Thanksgiving Eve, no way to get to bike shop---called local Honda Dealer Partsman, he has rear tire, Bridgestone, in stock.....will pick it up on Fri AM.

Note: I am not one to run plugged tires on bike. But tried with fancy kit I have---plug went right thru hole!!

Tire has about 2,000 miles left on it. So a little wasted but better to be SAFE and ride on new proper tire.

I do own tire work normally, but present tire installed by dealer when bike went in from some warranty work Note: on taking wheel out found the following:
1. rear axle nut way overtighted--- long-breaker bar time

2. top bolt that holds right swing arm on.......must have been run in with air wrench.....and cut new threads. Will re-install carefully and see what happens!

3. Rear brake shoes fine, parking brake shoes thin.

4. When I install tire, I sand/wire brush rim bead, hoping no air leak---dealer installed tire just slapped on....and they hope no leak most of the time.

After 9 new Maxi scooters since 1990----the mickey mouse involved with Rear Wheel removal/replace is pure BS--25 years and designs have not gotten better----last look I think new BMW scooter has one sided swing arm?=easier, but can wheel come out/clear exhaust system? Now Vespa which always had spare and easy off wheels, requires muffler removal just like the Japanese. Guess no designers ride/or do their own work

One thing I do with rear wheel removal----test and use tools I carry with on bike to make sure I won't get stick someplace for lack of proper fitting wrench/socket. Every thing worked but did sub short breaker bar I carry with long handle from my shop tools. Axle nut must have been put on with Air Wrench with lots of power.

At 76 and recently been sick....I am lucky I have purchased longer tire irons----freeing tire from wheel on last bead on scooter wheel has always required more power than motorcycle tire for me. Rubber hammer helps, On de-mounting tire I use WD40 as lube----mounting tire soapy water as lube.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 am

John, Sorry to hear about your tire misfortune, but you were darn lucky that your local dealer had a replacement in stock. That seems to have been a one-in-a-million shot. On the other hand the, dealer-caused, problems you discovered only confirms what many here have suggested all along; buy the FSM and do your own work. To rely on others is to seek disappointment.

Tim

Kindly come to terms with your aśś for it bears you --Fra Junipero Serra, c.1760
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 10:35 am

Buying the Factory Manual can be useful if you have the time, some mechanical skill, decent tools, a garage or some other well lit, clean, dry and covered workspace to take things apart, remove wheels etc. Not everyone has the facilities or the inclination to do the job themselves.  

A lot of self styled home mechanics are also inept thread strippers and bodgers, so your local dealer or independent mechanic can be useful if only to remedy the jobs you've cocked up yourself.

Anyway shouldn't y'all be outside deep frying turkeys and Twinkies on the porch instead of playing on here today.

Happy Thanksgiving. Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 12:01 pm

Thank you, Meldrew.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Thanks Meldrew.... and a Happy Thanksgiving to All... As of this writing all the food is cooking and we're just waiting on the "kids" to get here. Y'all have a good'n.!!!
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 2:15 pm

The idea John is to plug the hole not push the plug through it. I have put plugs in several times when the occasion arose, I once had a puncture on a nearly new tyre and plugged it, did about six thousand miles on it after that, I always check pressures weekly and rarely go over sixty mph. I don't know what "thanksgiving" is in the USA, isn't it something to do with the Pilgrim Fathers, but, happy thanksgiving to you anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 4:47 pm

Hole was too big for plug----I used expensive kit with fancy tool.

Will buy a cheaper kit tomorrow-------fresh rubber.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 5:54 pm

Seems to me that even if the diameter of that screw was pretty large, a gummy worm & rubber cement would have plugged the greater part of the hole and Ride-On would have sealed the remainder. Mushroom plugs don't have such a good reputation. 

That said, at 6mm diameter it's not a screw but a lag bolt.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Regardless-----now that tire is off, could have it professionally repaired from inside----but with 2,000 or so miles left on tire, not worth the effort of replacing wheel and taking it off again in2,000 miles---better new tire and hope no more junk on road.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 pm

I picked up a screw in the rear tire of my GT. I decided to try out some interesting new plugs I found at a parts store recently. These are hard plastic sharp, tapered screws with a winged head so one can just screw the thing into the tire. Quick and easy and no tool needed. I rode on it for about 100 miles until I could get a new tire, lucky for me my rear tire was about ready to be replaced anyway.

I don't particularly like using a plug but I will. With standard plugs you don't want to rasp out the hole very much or the plug wont fit tight enough. You have to have a 1/4" or so protruding inside the tires for the plug to hold reliably. A little lubrication with rubber cement sure makes them easier to insert. If the hole is too big you can double up the plug with the ropy type plugs.

Personally I'll be carrying these newer types on my bike along with my 12V compressor.

http://www.bellautomotive.com/Victor-Plug-Go-Tire-Repair-Kit-p/22-5-60204-8.htm

Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 26, 2015 10:00 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Anyway shouldn't y'all be outside deep frying turkeys and Twinkies on the porch instead of playing on here today.

Happy Thanksgiving. Smile

Hi Meldrew, I have read a lot of your postings and even though I am not exactly a spring chicken myself; I still learn a lot from you guys who are older and have done a lot more miles on more diverse bikes.
Every time I see your " Sturzgefahr" sign I find myself wondering whether this " Kraut" rider is not adopting a somewhat awkward position to negotiate one of these bends. It seems that he is trying to get into a pro-riders position, but it just looks all wrong. More like a greenhorn, who tries to lean the bike but body stays upright. Or is it just a genetic thing like one can see with German horse riders and BMW riders who always sit ramrod straight? chickendance
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 7:31 am

Rope kit's, Stop n Go mechanical pluggers, at one time or another used them all, but always if the tire was good enough to keep redid the repair at home with a plug / patch combo from NAPA and only if it was in the meat of the tread. Over the years I've seen more " GOOD " tires I wouldn't have ridden down my driveway get changed out with layers of cord showing.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 12:09 pm

Someone  in the USA once posted a picture of a tyre  that he was riding on that had the cords showing. In the UK we have a legal limit of how much tread you MUST have to be on the road.Along with a yearly inspection of all motor vvehicles over three years old, and it must pass these safety checks or be taken off the road.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 3:25 pm

Old Limey wrote:
In the UK we have a legal limit of how much tread you MUST have to be on the road.

Yep, it can get a bit expensive if the police catch you with an illegal tyre ...... "Drivers who fail to comply with the regulations face a fine of up to £2,500 and three penalty points for each illegal tyre." .... taken from .. http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/frequently-asked-questions
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2015 7:30 pm

Nah, we ride 'em down to the second layer of cord. Wink So far the politicians have left it up to each driver to assure himself that his vehicle is okay for the road. Most states don't have inspections. Some states and municipalities do inspect for emissions but I don't think there's any at least in the West and Midwest that do a mechanical inspection. All Oregon cares about my bike is that I pay for the biennial license renewal.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2015 1:11 pm

Up and running with new tire, nearby dealer had Bridgestone in stock----so that's what I got. Not cheap.

Maybe last time I bust scooter tire off rim.=too much power needed. Next will let dealer change tire on his tire machine.

Strange but exhaust packing still good after a few times of taking muffler off....but I do carry spare.

All tools I carry worked and I could have busted rear axle nut with short breaker bar I carry----but cheated and used longer one from garage tools to save energy.

In next week will buy another cheap tire repair kit/plug as the expensive one I have carried for 10 years or so really didn't work as advertised!

As nobody was around to assist/watch me put bike on lift, I did removal of wheel/muffler/brakes, etc on ground. Lots of good exercise.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Glad to hear that you've possibly come to your senses, Mr Grinsel. Quite recently you were posting that you haven't been feeling all that well of late, and I think ill advised that you be bustin' tires given your advanced stage of youth. Yes, better you should take that wheel to the dealer and let them have at it --that way you can save your strength for that ride to Belize you've always been meaning to take in February.

Tim
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2015 11:30 pm

One thing I've done several times when living far from civilized areas is to use a small board and a car or truck. Just lay the board over the edge of the tire and ease the vehicle up onto the board. Assuming you use care and don't run up over the wheel itself, that method is almost foolproof. It won't work without a board or something between the flat tire and the vehicle's tire. The board will press down enough bead area to make sure the tire comes loose easily.
Nowadays I use my big bench vise and a couple pieces of plywood. Works well but you need a healthy size vise. A big bench vise is one of the most useful shop tools one can have. It requires a strong bench to mount on but you can do a lot with one. I also have a 3' cheater pipe that can slip over the vise handle for a bit more squeeze when needed. You can also use a nice sized vise as a shop press if you don't have one of those handy. Good for pressing bearings, etc.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 9:14 am

Meldrew wrote:
A lot of self styled home mechanics are also inept thread strippers and bodgers

Guilty as charged, though I don't even style myself a mechanic of any type.

Thought I had a roofing nail in the front tire this past week. It was hard to miss, with the nail surrounded by a bright yellow plastic disk. Unwrapped the unused tire repair kit I have but it said that the patch was temporary.

Tire was still holding air so I chanced the quick ride to the dealer.

Dealer looked at it right away--it turned out to be a thumb tack! Embarassed I clearly hadn't looked at it closely enough first. Embarrassment was exceeded only by relief at not having to buy a new tire.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 1:43 pm

If you buy another tyre repair kit John, look for one with plugs but, also with compressed air capsules. The one I have has plugs, a reamer, and three compressed air tubes. I have never used the air tubes as any punctures I have, seem to keep the tyre up, and I only discover the puncture when doing my tyre inspection. I think BMW( motorcycles) do a puncture kit. Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Screw in rear tyre   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 2:56 pm

The gas capsules are CO2 I think and they may just get a scooter tyre up to a reasonable pressure but they don't do much for full size bike wheels DAHMIK.  Better to carry a small electrical inflator  to run from the battery with crocodile clips or through the accessory socket if you have one fitted.
Back to top Go down
terrier
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
terrier

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2015-08-12

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 3:01 pm

The compressed air capsules are ok but if you end up using a few of these the cost can mount up. I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AirMan-Tour-Compact-Glove-Box-Under-Seat-Compressor-Tyre-Tyre-Inflator-/251301682501?hash=item3a82bf5d45:g:Nj0AAOSwVFlUBcq1 As we have a large storage area under the seat on the SWing it takes up no room at all. For us lucky members in the UK we have the power socket in the l/h glove box to plug it into as standard and I know quite a few of you guys and gals over the pond have fitted your own. It's handy having an inflator like this even if to help out some other poor soul on the road.

Den
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2015 4:20 pm

I just bought another tire repair kit----cheap and simple

Always I carry a hand pump, and have lately added a small electric pump. I remember when a new bike/scooter came with pump and patch kit. As I recall there was a time when new BMW's came with CO2 compressed containers----which never worked well for me.

Bottom line for me: walking sucks and I do everything I can to prevent it.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Screw in rear tyre   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 4:16 am

My BMW came with a handpump(1970s) and the one my current trike is based on has the gas cartridges but as they are covered in rust I will stick to the electric pump if needed!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2015 6:50 am

I still have the hand pump that came with my BMW R100/7 and was stored in the frame under the seat. It's just a better made version of the hand pump MZ supplied with their two-strokes, neither of them are very good at pumping up a tubed or tubeless tyre from flat, but like that spare belt that some riders take along, you feel better for carrying them.

The tubeless tyre kits that BMW used to supply are useless too, I carried one around for years in the boot/trunk of my Helix and the one time I had a puncture and attempted to plug the hole, it was about as reliable as the Rythmn Method and I went home on a recovery truck that day.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

screw in rear tire Empty
PostSubject: Re: screw in rear tire   screw in rear tire I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

screw in rear tire
Page 1 of 1