Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Upgrading Silverwing

Go down 
+4
GHM-PM
exavid
Bash On!
compguy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
compguy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
compguy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2010-10-11

Upgrading Silverwing Empty
PostSubject: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 3:29 pm

Since 2007 every two years I've bought a new Silverwing. The last one is a 2012. Now that I can't buy another newer one what do I do? I love the bike and don't want any other. I'm wondering about riding this one, keeping up the maintenance and have the engine rebuilt when it wears out.

Ideas?
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 4:18 pm

Well, I bet you can still find a NOS Silverwing.

As far as keeping your 2012, good thing it's a Honda. It should run for a long time with proper maintenance. Rebuild the engine if it's economically wise when, and if, you need to. These bikes apparently don't have terrific residual value so keep that in mind when deciding how much money to throw at it.

Worst case, there are plenty of good two-wheelers out there. In the end, the SW is just another machine, an appliance if you will. I'm sure you'll be able to find a suitable replacement when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Since you can still get parts for early SWs there should be no problem getting parts for the foreseeable future. There's always eBay for the odd pieces now and the as well.
I wouldn't worry about the bike lasting, the engine should be good for well over 100,000 miles if maintained by the book intervals. These machines will last as long as your want them to. A friend of mine has a Goldwing with 400,000 miles on the odometer. The main repair he did other than normal maintenance replacements was a clutch somewhere around 300,000 miles.
The fact that your bike is water-cooled is the main reason these engines last so long.  It helps a lot of you do your own maintenance and have the tools to do it. I'd recommend buying a service manual for your bike as well.
Honda services bikes up to ten years old so that should keep you going until 2022.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2592
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 8:50 pm

The last year was 2013. If you look diligently there are NOS 2013's still available at good prices. So you could do at least one more new unit!!! My 2012 has less than 17K on it but runs fabulously, not sure how many miles you have but other than normal maintenance, tires, probably belt. rollers etc. is all you need to get to 50K... Good luck with whatever you decide.
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 8:40 am

I found my SW at a Harley dealership. It's a 2008 and had 1,800 miles on it. that's about 250 miles a year put on it. You can buy an older one with confidence. If you don't trust an older vehicle and don't want a CTX700 with the DCT and prefer the scooter layout go for a Burgman 400. They go like heck and still make them brand spanking new.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 9:59 am

How may miles do you have on your 2012? If you like the bike I am not sure why you would want to get another unless it has really high mileage or damage. Design pretty much hasn't changed in 10+ years so I would think parts will be available for at least another 5-10 years. Yes, some of the other brands have some new features and electronics, but I don't think they have the reliability and durability of a Honda.  Look at all the Elite and Helix scooters still going strong from back to about 1985.

Not that they are exactly the same, but in the Automotive repair business, Honda vehicles are pretty bulletproof, rarely see an engine or drivetrain failure and this is usually due to neglect or no oil.  Many rust out or have other failures before the engines. I had a lawnmower with a Honda engine for 14 years, always started, ran great, put it in the shed for winter with old gas, started right up in spring.  I actually only changed the oil once after 12 years (me bad) and never had an issue. Finally had some carb problems and since wheels were in bad shape, needed new blade, etc. decided not to fix and just bought another Honda.

I bought a 2003 Silverwing with about 5000 miles on it and I am sure it will be just as reliable as a new one but I paid 1/3 the price. Plenty of extra money to replace tires, do some maintenance and some upgrade modifications. Rather than buy a new one, save the money and use it to maintain the current one - new vehicles are rarely a good investment, maintaining a vehicle unless it reaches a point of poor ROI is always a better bet. Sure I have been tempted by some of the fancy features and looks of the newer Burgman's or especially the BMW 650GT, but when you read about the problems and the costs to maintain these, I keep deciding I'm pretty happy with the Silverwing. It's been a good value, reliable and good performance for what it is. Now if I stumble upon a wad of cash, I may still get that BMW as my Sport Scooter!
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 10:51 am

I,too like to get new bikes....and ride a lot. My second new silverwing, left over 2013, mileage now near 30,000, will be replaced at 50,000 miles or sooner if I get bug for new bike.

I know Honda can last a long time, but just don't like the hassle as the things age. I like to ride on/with warranty. Thoughts: I will not buy another leftover SilverWing. So maybe another Burgman 400? I have had 2 new, nice, lighter, still current model---perform just fine, rubber band drive maybe not as reliable as Honda? Maybe wind protection not as good as SilverWing, both with Givi adjustable windshield, but still ok. My last Burgman 400 had about 45,000 miles at trade time and was working fine---I had bug for new bike.

Big scooter market is dead in US and probably there will be nothing new on the market in coming years.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Has anyone given thought to the Honda Forza? I hear they have about 25 hp and are very smooth. When I bought my CTX 1 1/2 years ago I was amazed at the price of the B650. I know they are very nice bikes but the sticker price was $11,500 and it is still sitting there. I spent $9,000 on my CTX700 DCT and thought that was a lot of money. That is the most I have ever spent on a bike but really enjoy it. I have never had a big cruiser bike so my new bikes are the price of the SWing or CTX.

But like John has said, the US scooter market does really offer all that much. I wish we would get more of the bikes the Europe or Asia gets, but then no one really buys them here. As for your SWing lasting for a long time we never read about anyone that has to overhaul an engine on this site. The SWing may not have the bells and whistles of the B650 but it gets going. It's too bad they don't bring the integra over here although there isn't really any 'step-through' design on that bike either.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 2:51 pm

I looked at a Forza before deciding to buy the Silver Wing next to it in the showroom.

Everybody is different but I thought the Forza ergonomics were odd.  On the Forza, couldn't flat-foot the scooter but, conversely, felt cramped when my feet were on the floorboard.  It even felt more cramped than the riding position on my PCX150.

OTOH, I could easily flat-foot the SW, and also have plenty of stretch-out room while in a riding position.

P.S. The dealer still has a leftover new Forza (non-ABS) advertised for only $3995.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3306
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 8:10 pm

I have looked at/test rode Forza. Could work for me, GIVI has adjustable windshield/monokey rack for my monokey box. Odd size rear tire. Could buy one,should fit my needs.

ABS only.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Upgrading Silverwing   Upgrading Silverwing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 9:26 pm

Here's a Silverwing upgrade...back end looks a little like a Honda Helix...

Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com

Upgrading Silverwing
Page 1 of 1