Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Today at 4:33 pm

» New member from Europe
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat Support rod

Go down 
+4
Deno070
bandito2
Meldrew
roboclock
8 posters
AuthorMessage
roboclock
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-05-17

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:56 am

My seat support rod (The gas type like on minivan trunks) doesn't hold anymore.
It also could be about 2" longer to hold the seat open more.
Has anyone found a suitable replacement?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:27 am

There's already five topics on seat struts and replacements if you Search in the relevant sections.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 3:02 pm

I find this discouraging and dismayed when I see some new or relatively new person ask a question, then they are told only that they should look someplace to find it rather than tell them WHERE it can be found and THEN they could add a gentle reminder to look first on their own next time before asking when they don't know where to ask or where to look to find the info they need. And the question was not answered in a way that anybody would want answered if they were the one asking.

And does it ever occur to people that HAVE been here a long time that others don't come here very often unless they need help? Why should they be given a difficult time when seeking help? There is no requirement for allegiance to this site or conformity to unwritten rules that should deny or inhibit help to those that ask for it.

We should do things in a way to encourage participation, not give them reasons to avoid this informative and enriching place here. IMO people should try to be helpful when responding to one who is asking for help. Otherwise just be quiet or at least don't be snide.

Last edited by bandito2 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
roboclock
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-05-17

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Not to worry, I did review the other posts, but was wondering how the ebay struts worked out, and if I could use a 13" or 14" to get more lift.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 3:38 pm

bandito2 wrote:
I find this discouraging and dismayed when I see some new or relatively new person ask a question, then they are told only that they should look someplace to find it rather than tell them WHERE it can be found and THEN they could add a gentle reminder to look first on their own next time before asking when they don't know where to ask or where to look to find the info they need.

And does it ever occur to people that HAVE been here a long time that others don't come here very often unless they need help? Why should they be given a difficult time when seeking help? There is no requirement for allegiance to this site or conformity to unwritten rules that should deny or inhibit help to those that ask for it.

We should do things in a way to encourage participation, not give them reasons to avoid this informative and enriching place here.

Has it occurred to you that it's 2015 and almost everyone has a smart phone, iPhone, iPad, tablet, and desk top computer and knows how to use them for all sorts of uses on a daily basis.

Has it ever occurred to you that most new members on here and other forums lurk on them reading all sorts of topics before joining.

Has it ever occurred to you that the same questions about get asked and answered time and time again when a quick Search or look through the various sections would find all the answers and info required.

What's this "we" anyway?
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Meldrew wrote:

What's this "we" anyway?

Originally it was, and obviously was pointed in your direction. But it also was meant to be inclusive for anybody that felt it important enough to respond to a request for help. You assume too much; I don't have a bane of humanity cell phone nor iPad or other such device and I am pretty sure I am not the only "poor soul" without things like that.

So to answer your question; what's this "we" anyway? ---- You, for one.

Not all people lurk before jumping in. And why wouldn't you just answer the damned question with what you knew the person was asking for in the first place regardless of how many times it may have been asked? Or, instead of being a hateful dick, why didn't you just STFU and say nothing and let them figure it out for themself or let somebody else answer their question?
It's people like you that make life unnecessarily miserable. You should drop the smug attitude and play nice or piss off.

Last edited by bandito2 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Sleep
Back to top Go down
Deno070
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2013-12-06

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Bandito, seriously. How about you answer the same questions over and over again. See how you like repeating yourself.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 4:49 pm

Deno070 wrote:
Bandito, seriously. How about you answer the same questions over and over again. See how you like repeating yourself.

You don't have to answer... And I didn't see where Meldrew was specifically addressed to answer the question. If the question bothers you, just leave it be and let somebody else answer. And if you do answer, there is no need to give someone asking for help a hard time, no matter how ridiculous the question may seem to you. It is not a stupid question if you don't know the answer. Are we (most of us anyway) not here to help if we can? Remember the warm welcome you got when you signed up? THAT is what makes this place great, not pissy, self righteous  responses when help is asked for.
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 5:21 pm

bandito2 wrote:

And why wouldn't you just answer the damned question with what you knew the person was asking for in the first place regardless of how many times it may have been asked? Or, instead of being a hateful dick, why didn't you just STFU and say nothing and let them figure it out for themself or let somebody else answer their question?
It's people like you that make life unnecessarily miserable. You should drop the smug attitude and play nice or piss off.

No matter how much you disagree with Meldrew, there is definitely no need for this sort of language! If you thought  you were occupying the high moral ground and you are asking other members to be more polite; then what is this outburst all about?Embarassed
Meldrew could not have possibly provided an answer which is as comprehensive as the accumulated facts, which are accessible through a search of the forum.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 5:25 pm

Of course I didn't answer the question as all the info was there, and it's only that's come on getting your knickers in a twist... again.

You've made your point, so bow out gracefully as I'm now going to do. Neutral
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:06 pm

To someone who was being course, I was responding in a course way because very often with people like that, you don't reach them unless you stoop to speak to them at their level. And yes I realize by stooping to that level, the high moral ground was given up. A cliche, but my bad for doing it that way.

Maybe he could not have possibly provided an answer which is as comprehensive as the accumulated facts, which are accessible through a search of the forum, but he certainly could have just remained quiet and not made unnecessary, unhelpful remarks as he did. That was was what ticked me off because this buffoon treats people poorly too often and seldom seems to get called out on it. Making excuses for him saying things like "oh, everybody knows Meldrew is like that" is weak and only enables, nay, encourages the bad behavior. I'm so sick of it I could just spit.

Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 6:13 pm

Meldrew wrote:
Of course I didn't answer the question as all the info was there, and it's only that's come on getting your knickers in a twist... again.

You've made your point, so bow out gracefully as I'm now going to do. Neutral

Yeah, my briefs are in a bunch... And you think that is just fine to treat people the way you do without consequence.

And yes you DID respond to his question and in an unkind way that was totally unnecessary... And you often make responses that way repeatedly. That is the whole issue here. You stir the crap up to get it good and stinky then turn around and point back saying look how pissed off that guy is now; then you try to run off. You are just like a troll. Yeah, bow out and stay gone until you can make responses that are not unnecessarily inflammatory. That would be nice for a change.... And then I'll have no need of knicker twisting again and again and again.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 8:01 pm

roboclock - Sorry, it seems if there's some of the old discussion still going on. There is a lot of info on the forum but I don't think anyone mentioned going with a longer strut. I could be wrong of course, old age does funny things to one's memory. The main thing would be the struts fully compressed length. A longer strut might also put too much stress on the hinges or attachment points of the seat. I replaced the strut on my '04 SW with one of the same length (I don't remember what that was) and it worked well. I wish Honda had used a spring strut, gas struts inevitably loose their strength over a very few years.
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 9:47 pm

I wish Honda had used a spring strut, gas struts inevitably loose their strength over a very few years., hmm wonder if weaker stock strut could be helped by a coil spring installed over it or around the strut rod?
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Seat Support rod    Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2015 11:54 pm

I also was not pleased with the seat strut on my 06 S/W after three years and 22k.Every one has there own little fix but I like to keep things simple. I took a piece of stock lumber (3/4x1 1/2 x4x1/4in. long and cut it in half the long way.This gave me two seat props to work with. I then cut a 1/4in. grove down the middle. None of the dimensions are critical but it should fit snug on the strut. The length holds the seat a little higher than stock. I painted it white and store it under the seat along side the tool kit. It has been a great help especially on long trips when I have a extra case on the rear portion of the S/W seat.  Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 12:01 am

I did use a stick for awhile but it irritated me. I just have to have everything on my bikes working like they did new or darn close to it. I guess it comes from a career in maintenance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Seat Support rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seat Support rod   Seat Support rod I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat Support rod
Page 1 of 1