Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Sinko De Mayo
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 3:33 pm

» May 2024 forum picture
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:44 am

» checking the oil
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Question RE: rear wheel slack?

Go down 
+4
Cosmic_Jumper
NWSSC
Dale N.
DanB
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

Question RE: rear wheel slack? Empty
PostSubject: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 9:07 am

Maybe this is normal but thought I'd ask the question. When I rotate the rear wheel to clean it there is a slack spot in the wheel. There's no looseness side to side as in a bearing issue. Is this slack spot normal? It's like a small 1/4" spot.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 9:24 am

Hi Dan, Do you mean that the tire rotates clock and counter clock wise about 1/4"? I've never checked mine but I would think that that is pretty much normal. It would seem like that would be normal slack between the tire, clutch and drive mechanism.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: RE: rear wheel slack?    Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 10:49 am

Hi DanB. The short of it is yes. There are three separate gear trains in the finial drive. A input shaft, counter shaft and a output shaft.A little play in each one adds up.There is no need to worry. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 11:22 am

Thanks guys. Another question. Changing out my low beam headlight bulb with H7 Sylvania and still does not work. Perhaps a bad bulb but....is there a separate fuse for the low beam?
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: RE: rear wheel slack?    Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 12:01 pm

I take it the reason for wanting to change the low beam is because it was not working. Chances are both bulbs are good. One fuse takes care of the low and high beam. I would suggest starting at the connection at the bulb and working back to the lite switch checking for current. It may even be the switch itself. Howard
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 12:23 pm

High beam works and old low beam bulb is black and blown. New bulb does not work though. Getting really good though at changing it as it's been in/out several times.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 2:21 pm

You are using the bulb adapter from the old bulb aren't you?
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

PostSubject: rear wheel slack?    Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 3:29 pm

Using a test lite,are you getting any current at the connector that attaches to the bulb? Howard
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Simplest test method is to test the bulb using the resistance setting on a "multimeter", even a new bulb can be faulty
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 4:00 pm

The Bern wrote:
Simplest test method is to test the bulb using the resistance setting on a "multimeter", even a new bulb can be faulty

I had problems with cheap bulbs in scooter and car and will only buy good name brand ones now. A few dollars extra can save hours of trouble shooting.
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2014-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 5:05 pm

gremlin wrote:
The Bern wrote:

I had problems with cheap bulbs in scooter and car and will only buy good name brand ones now.  A few dollars extra can save hours of trouble shooting.

Sorry, but a "well known" brand name does not automativcally mean that a product doesn't have a fault
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 10:27 pm

The Bern wrote:
gremlin wrote:
The Bern wrote:

I had problems with cheap bulbs in scooter and car and will only buy good name brand ones now.  A few dollars extra can save hours of trouble shooting.

Sorry, but a "well known" brand name does not automativcally mean that a product doesn't have a fault

No doubt about it even a quality globe can be faulty, but the chances of that is probably 20 times smaller and for the few dollars extra you might save yourself hours of troubleshooting, or a sizeable workshop bill . That is also why a bought a Honda, and not a Chinese scooter. Companies like Osram , Philips and Hella have been making globes for over 100 years and their standards of quality control are nothing like those you might see in Asian factories ( with exceptions like Apple etc ). The manufacturing philosophies are worlds apart. Premium producers only accept a failure rate of one in 2000 or better. The cheap manufacturers accept a failure rate of one in twenty, because it is so much cheaper to produce and to supply a replacement to the few customers who bother to claim one.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 am

A 1/4" - 3/8" backlash in the rear wheel is about what the four Silverwings I've worked on seem to have. Just as the guys already mentioned.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 1:23 am

Hi DanB,
I checked my rear wheel today just out of curiosity and found that the quarter inch play seems to fit in with what the others are saying here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question RE: rear wheel slack?   Question RE: rear wheel slack? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question RE: rear wheel slack?
Page 1 of 1