Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oil screen stuck
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby Nolabel10935 Yesterday at 11:20 pm

» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Yesterday at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby landisr Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Muffler damaged, need measurement

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Muffler damaged, need measurement Empty
PostSubject: Muffler damaged, need measurement   Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 11:21 pm

I had an untimely get off the other day due to an oil spill on a turn. It was caused when a municipal street sweeper vehicle blew a hydraulic line several minutes before I arrived. Thankfully I wasn't going fast, but there is a lot of road rash on the right side, unseen though is all the tupperware tabs which have broken. The muffler cover got mashed in too. Which leads to this request.

It appears that the muffler got pushed in enough so that it barely clears the coils or the rear shock. Can someone please measure the clearance between the shock coil spring and the muffler. Right now I can't get my finger to fit between the two without forcing it. Not super tight, but I think that there should be more clearance that what's there now.

I did get down and visually inspect the headers and the muffler joint for any bends or kinks, but I can't see any indications there.

I'm waiting for an insurance appraiser to show up to inspect the damages, so I can't start disassembling things until he has a look at it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Muffler damaged, need measurement Today at 11:21 pm    Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 12:05 am

Sorry about that Tim.Lucky for you It is only scooter parts.The distance is 1 1/2 inches from the lowest coil to the muffler. I imagine the bracket that is attached to the muffler is bent causing the close tolerance. I would suggest removing the bolt going through the bracket and see if you can pull the muffler away from the rear spring. If the bracket is bent and you are lucky you will have to remove the muffler assembly, heat the bracket and and reline the exhaust.As you are aware there is always a little more when a accident happens and Tupperware is expensive. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Muffler damaged, need measurement   Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 8:39 am

One and one half inches clearance between the muffler and the (closest) coil spring. Thanks Howard.

Tim
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Muffler damaged, need measurement   Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:12 am

Tim, I got about 5/8 inch on mine,measured to the closest spring coil. Also I have about 3/8 inch from muffler hanger to nearest spring coil. I wish you could remove the rubber washer from the tire side of hanger but it's not a good idea. Good luck...Al
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Muffler damaged, need measurement   Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 11:33 am

Hmm... 5/8 seems much closer to what I have. 

The hanger on the muffler may need to be heated and tweaked, but that frame hanger doesnt look like it's about to move anywhere. Pretty sturdy piece there.

Thanks Al
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Muffler damaged, need measurement 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Muffler damaged, need measurement   Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:15 pm

AldusFran wrote:
Tim, I got about 5/8 inch on mine,measured to the closest spring coil. Also I have about 3/8 inch from muffler hanger to nearest spring coil. I wish you could remove the rubber washer from the tire side of hanger but it's not a good idea. Good luck...Al

That's about the same as mine and I don't see a need for more.

Glad you're concerned about the scoot and not the rider. cheers
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Muffler damaged, need measurement   Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 3:03 am

Sorry to hear of your off, doesn't sound like much fun. Did you get lots of pictures and have you contacted the owner of the vehicle that caused it. Had they put up any warnings? I think you could have either of these measurements depending on which side of the hanger your muffler is fixed. Mine was on the outside and stick out just under two inches but having moved it to the inside it is now about 5/8ths. Which side is yours mounted on.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

PostSubject: Re: Muffler damaged, need measurement   Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 9:46 am

No warnings, no photos, just an Oh $hit! get off. While I did get some sore ribs (probably cracked) I never went for medical treatment. The Insurance adjuster was here the other day and declared that the scoot was totaled. Think Humpty Dumpty. Now I'm waiting for them to contact me with a settlement figure. 

Meanwhile after applying judicious quantities of Duct Tape  (the handy man's secret weapon) I'm able to ride it locally. So my Cosmic Jumper at 971200 miles has now become cosmic debris.

Tim
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Muffler damaged, need measurement    Muffler damaged, need measurement I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2015 10:57 am

If you have not already done so, make sure you make it known about any up grades and have receipts. It may not be to late to see
a doctor. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/

Muffler damaged, need measurement
Page 1 of 1