Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Buying a new scooter

Go down 
+5
john grinsel
Meldrew
Old Limey
"Hi Yo"
SilverwingInIdaho
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Buying a new scooter Empty
PostSubject: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Generally in the United States when you see a sticker on the bike with MSRP should I assume it's negotiable just like a car lot?

Tips on negotiating the price down and how far down is realistic?

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Buying a new scooter 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 3:47 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
 Generally in the United States when you see a sticker on the bike with MSRP should I assume it's negotiable just like a car lot?

Tips on negotiating the price down and how far down is realistic?

Question 1:  Isn't that why it's called "suggested " retail price?

Question2:  Offer---Counteroffer  

Remember, they are there until closing time. What is your time worth?
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 3:50 am

The bike is just over 11,000 dollars. How do you determine reasonable counter offers?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:02 am

What bike? Where? What condition?

Have you done any research, or do you just want hand holding?

Yes, that is a great price. Go pay it. I will be happy to give stupid advice with your money. Laughing

Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:05 am

I am doing the research now. Watch your mouth. If anyone wants to share their personal experiences on their Silverwings that is info I won't be able to find on the net will I?
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:17 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
I am doing the research now. Watch your mouth. If anyone wants to share their personal experiences on their Silverwings that is info I won't be able to find on the net will I?

Welcome back. Just as educated and informed as before. I'm sure others missed your asinine posts.

Research means going to the search box where your type of questions have been discussed many times, but that would require some effort on your part.

Research means going to the sales sites like Cycle Trader, but that also takes effort on your part.

Research means---Oh, never mind. You just want to argue like before. Good luck! Hope you find a great deal!

motorcycle
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:21 am

Hi Yo wrote:
SilverwingInIdaho wrote:

Welcome back. Just as educated and informed as before. I'm sure others missed your asinine posts.

Research means going to the search box where your type of questions have been discussed many times, but that would require some effort on your part.

Research means going to the sales sites like Cycle Trader, but that also takes effort on your part.

Research means---Oh, never mind. You just want to argue like before. Good luck! Hope you find a great deal!

motorcycle

I said I am researching now, YOU wanted to get rude here and again you've done it first. Way to ruin a thread jerky. Again watch your mouth. If you don't like my posts DON'T comment on them. We've all been over this before, it's all been settled the last time and you already know I won't put up with your BS.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:31 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:

I said I am researching now, YOU wanted to get rude here and again you've done it first. Way to ruin a thread jerky. Again watch your mouth. If you don't like my posts DON'T comment on them. We've all been over this before, it's all been settled the last time and you already know I won't put up with your BS.

Sorry, continue with you research. I'll leave you to others.

Jerky
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:32 am

Like buying anything, depends how good a haggler you are. Personally I love to haggle, I don't always get the deal I want but I think most dealers expect to compromise to get a sale. You never know till you ask, and sometimes you wish you had offered less when, they accept your first offer.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:34 am

Thank you. Saves me from having to repeat myself.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:37 am

Back on topic,

I am looking at either a Bergman or a BMW. Both in the same price range at a local shop. I've never bought a new bike from a shop so y'all will have to forgive me ignorance on the subject matter. Not everyone is as well experienced in such matters.

Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4170
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:47 am

So if you're looking at buying a Burgman or BMW why are you expecting members of a Silver Wing forum to give you hints and tips? You're not exactly helping yourself with your 'watch your mouth' attitude.

Last edited by Meldrew on Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:52 am

Meldrew wrote:
So if you're looking at buying a Burgman or BMW why are you expecting members of a Silver Wing forum to give you hints and tips?

We had this same problem with you before as I recall and you are back for more. Let me repeat myself.

Had you followed the thread you would have seen in post #5

"If anyone wants to share their personal experiences on their Silverwings that is info I won't be able to find on the net will I"?

It's the process the make of bike is irrelevant.

If you don't have anything to add on that its fine and your right to not comment but then why ask dumb questions that were already covered? This is called trolling in the normal world.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:57 am

It's a pity you don't live in it.
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 5:03 am

Oh I live in the real world where we call a spade a spade. Even when directly asked that you just stop trolling and derailing a thread you have a history of doing it anyway.

I'm absolutely sure of what I am speaking of here. Lets try this again, how about you do everyone a favor and just un invite yourself from the thread if you can't partake in the intended spirit of discussion?

You are holding up my reading and this seems pretty good.

http://rideapart.com/articles/buy-dealership-not-get-screwed
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 5:12 am

How would I find ACV Actual Cost of Vehicle for scooters? All I can find on google is for cars. I trust this question is legitimate enough for the forum's grumpy old men?
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 6:16 am

SilverwingInIdaho wrote:
 How would I find ACV Actual Cost of Vehicle for scooters? All I can find on google is for cars. I trust this question is legitimate enough for the forum's grumpy old men?

I've just found a link to the info you need on another maxi forum, but I'm just a grumpy old troll. Wink
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3291
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 7:13 am

First do you even have a motorcycle license? Big Burgman/BMW Scooter/SilverWing are not good starter bike.

Markup in scooter in US probably is around 10%. To me after over 75 new bikes/scooters---dealer quality/nearness is more important than lowest price 200 miles away.
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Most if not all dealers will add destination and setup costs to the MSRP or their retail price. You might start with the out the door price and then make a counter offer that  they probably won't accept, but may cause them to offer to meet you inbetween.  You might have better luck shopping for leftover models that dealers are willing to take a hit on to get it off the floor.
Don't be afraid to get up and walk away from their "best"  price, may cause the dealer to make a better deal if you're walking out the door.

Last edited by sctr199 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 12:10 pm

Silverwing in Idaho,

Please tone down your remarks please.  As Meldrew said... you are asking for Burgman and BMW info on a Silver Wing site.  We have some who have had Burgman's and BMW's but you might be better served going to the Burgman site or the BMW scooter site.  Some areas will talk price but I couldn't get a discount at all where I live because the CTX700 was selling so well.  There was a woman standing by me at the shop telling the salesman that if I didn't want it that she would buy it.  So I think it is the area you live in and the market of the bike.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:38 pm

JeffR wrote:
Silverwing in Idaho,

Please tone down your remarks please.  As Meldrew said... you are asking for Burgman and BMW info on a Silver Wing site.  We have some who have had Burgman's and BMW's but you might be better served going to the Burgman site or the BMW scooter site.  Some areas will talk price but I couldn't get a discount at all where I live because the CTX700 was selling so well.  There was a woman standing by me at the shop telling the salesman that if I didn't want it that she would buy it.  So I think it is the area you live in and the market of the bike.

I am STILL a Silverwing Owner and I've heard plenty of discussion on other makes on this forum. Someone asked what bike I was talking about I did not add that info in the opening post. I am certain I have stated before if someone does not like the answer they should not have asked the question. Again this is about process not the make.

I'll be happy to tone down my responses when others can stop acting like children with some sort of vendetta over the tire thread I posted.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Hel-lo

The boss just asked you to chill. Maybe you really don't want to get the last word.

Tim
Back to top Go down
SilverwingInIdaho
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 5:53 pm

The Boss knows I am right and I am chilling. I am not the one who needs to chill however I am not the one that got rude and stepped out of line. The record is clear, go re review the thread. I think some of the posts here are a result of the last time some people wanted to troll me, I called them out and they did not like that. I don't know if they faced any moderation at all from that thread but I would have to guess that they did not since it's a re occurring problem here and now.

Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2015 7:22 am

catfight deadhorse dealwithit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying a new scooter   Buying a new scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying a new scooter
Page 1 of 1