Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Today at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Question about buying a Swing..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bikerdaryl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2011-05-24

Question about buying a Swing.. Empty
PostSubject: Question about buying a Swing..   Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 pm

I recently bought a 2004 ABS Silverwing with 16,000 miles on it. It had a Givi Tall windshield and passenger backrest installed.
No oil leaks
some cosmetic scratching
wear still on both tires

It needed a belt change, fork seal replacement (rebuilt whole fork since I had the chance.)

All for $2,900

So to the question... Was it a good deal and would the bike below be ok for the price?

I have the chance to buy a 2005 ABS Platinum Silverwing with 25,000 miles. Same Givi windshield and backrest installed for $2,800.
The concerns on this bike....
It has rust on the frame and shows apparent signs of corrosion in alot of metal parts from being ridden in San Franciso near the sea. Apparently the beach spray caused alot of etching and rusting.
Also the Swing has/had a oil leak that I cannot trace down. Near the Oil fill, to the right side near the bolts that keep the engine guard on, there seems to be alot of oil. Cannot see active leak even after running on center stand for awhile.

I will add some pics of the possible oil leak and corrosion later when I get home tonight...
Back to top Go down
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Question about buying a Swing..   Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:06 pm

I'd say the 04 for $2900 was a good deal. 16K miles is barely broken in. Right on target for the belt change. Why did the fork seals need replacing though? Was it ridden on rough roads? I ask this because I just replaced the fork seals on my 04, and replaced the springs with Hyperpros. My left seal was literally shredded, and I attribute this to the fact that I have to ride on a very, very, rough, rocky road for a mile and half to get to pavement, and then again coming home. But my swing has 26K miles on it, and the fork was leaking for only a few weeks, and no more than a few hundred miles, before I fixed things.

The 05 for $2800 might be a good deal, but I guess I'd want to know if it was leaking oil first, or is it just sloppy oil changes that left their mark? As for the rust, oh well, that happens around water. I'm in the desert, so that's not an issue for me.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Question about buying a Swing..   Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2011 1:30 pm

I just bought an 04 Silverwing also. it has 13,000 with new tires. Good shape no leaks but a little faded from being left outside. I paid $3500 I may have paid a couple hundred extra because I know the bikes history. I think you were right on target
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about buying a Swing..   Question about buying a Swing.. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about buying a Swing..
Page 1 of 1