Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Rear shock longevity
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby dovahkiin Yesterday at 10:55 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Yesterday at 7:40 am

» What did you do to your SW today.
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:26 pm

» YSS rear shocks
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

» New to Me Swing
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

» SOLD 2004 Honda Silver Wing for sale, tastefully modded SOLD
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:29 pm

» peace, love and life
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby cello33 Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

» Fork specs, please help before 9/4/2024
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby Anders L Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:58 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:16 pm

» Greetings From 'Phoenix'
Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:07 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Future Silverwing Design

Go down 
+5
DaveR
john grinsel
Meldrew
model28a
erj145
9 posters
AuthorMessage
erj145
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-01-29

Future Silverwing Design Empty
PostSubject: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 1:07 pm

I saw a used Honda DN01 advertised on line today and curiosity lead me to read a review of that courageous, but commercially ill fated Honda design. Even today I can't decide if I love it or hate it, but it does have some design features that are brilliant.

One is the HFT transmission. IMO it should be a natural feature on Honda's future Swing Maxi Scooter. Inasmuch as this transmission has been proven reliable on Honda's 4 wheel ORV's that should be a no-brainer. DCT transmissions on their "new concept" motorcycles have been reliable but still with some issues. The HFT would be a "turn key" replacement for "rubber band" CVT's. Yes it would cost more to produce but check the prices on current maxi-scoots of other makes.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 7:48 pm

erj145 thank you for your reflections on the future of Hondas transmissions. I never looked into the design of the HFT transmission used in the DN01. I can't mount/sit on the DN01 so I never looked any deeper.
 Thank you for intriguing me enough to Google it. HERE is a link to Hondas Introduction website. It does look like a very interesting transmission.
Future Silverwing Design 4_1
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4174
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2015 3:12 am

Yes it's all very nicely engineered, but why would Honda need to add it to a future Silver Wing? In the UK the original FJS Silver Wing is still in the Honda UK lineup and has been since about 2001, and the SW-T version over in mainland Europe since 2009. So it's unlikely Honda will introduce a re-engineered Silver Wing for a number of years and by then there'll have developed other transmissions.

Meanwhile used low mileage Honda DN-01’s sit ignored in dealers showrooms, there's 15 of them on one used bike website and they've been on there for years. Now with a used low mileage Honda NM 4 Vultus for company, one of the 25 originally imported by Honda UK.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 12:32 pm

For US market----I don't think for US market Honda has little interest....as the market for $10,000 scooters is Dead, There are plenty of much cheaper motorcycles available.

For me, re-design of SilverWing would include #1 better wind protection #2 not so much rear weight bias #3 easy remove rear wheel #4 lighter weight #5 same type transmission with 50,000 mile belt life #6 interchangeable wheels and spare wheel and tire.

SilverWing is older design, I think off US market, officially, For me I plan to ride my 2013 left over out to 50,000 and then buy new bike/scooter next spring.....and then look. For me at 76 I find a motorcycle offers much more precise control/balance/wonderful clutch control (done by me)/easier to work on. Maybe SR400 Yamaha with National Cycle Windshield, Givi rack top box and hard, top opening saddle bags, etc.? Have already had new SR500, so know how they work.-------end cost would still be under Maxi scooter and probably better fuel mileage.

Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 3:17 pm

I am just coming up on 51,000 smiles on my 2005 Honda 600 Silverwing and I could not be happier with the service of this machine. However here in the U. S. as far as market place, it is zilch! People here purchase M/Cycles and "Poo Poo" the Silverwing and Bergman. The mind set of the average American cyclist is to ignore the Maxi's. One of the greatest advantages for me is the automatic transmission etc. I have paraneal nerve damage in my right foot so cannot shift anymore. Of course I will be 79 in August and am blessed to be able to have this wonderful Maxi to ride. It will run all the speed limits etc. however it does not like gravel roads etc. because of the smaller wheels and tires. That really does not limit its service ability though because we, for the most part, have good roads in our states. Being f/i, altitude is no problem. One thing I have never understood is why it is called a 600 when in fact it is a 582cc. Oh well, guess you can't have it all!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 4:34 pm

DaveR wrote:
One thing I have never understood is why it is called a 600 when in fact it is a 582cc.

One thing I have never understood is why World Series Baseball only has teams from the U.S.! Smile
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 4:40 pm

john grinsel wrote:

SilverWing is older design, I think off US market, officially, For me I plan to ride my  2013 left over out to 50,000 and then buy new bike/scooter next spring.....and then look.   For me at 76 I find a motorcycle offers much more precise control/balance/wonderful clutch control (done by me)/easier to work on.    Maybe SR400 Yamaha with National Cycle Windshield, Givi rack top box and hard, top opening  saddle bags, etc.?     Have already had new SR500, so know how they work.-------end cost would still be under Maxi scooter  and probably better fuel mileage.

Time will tell.

As usual i dont really understand what your trying to say! Correct me if im wrong but your saying a SR500 was a good bike???? I had one and it was the biggest pos thats been made, to date (read the reviews)! However it did carry me across the country, but it complained constantly. John G if you can start one at 76 years young you are a hero to me Wink . I remember trying to kickstart that thing and then giving up in a sweat covered heap trying to regain my breath all the while cursing and praying for the motorcycle gods to let the thing start or explode and let it or me out of the misery it inflicted! Laughing  Laughing .
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Future Silverwing Design 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 5:20 pm

Meldrew wrote:

One thing I have never understood is why World Series Baseball only has teams from the U.S.! Smile

Toronto might argue your point. Of course this has nothing to do with Silver Wing design. Laughing
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 5:54 pm

One of the greatest advantages for me is the automatic transmission etc. I have paraneal nerve damage in my right foot so cannot shift anymore.
At 78 I'll join your group Sad it was one of the primary reasons to sell a perfectly good G'Wing. I'm enjoying this 05 600 more than I thought I would and ready to ride on as long as I can. cheers
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Hi Yo wrote:
Meldrew wrote:

Toronto might argue your point.    Of course this has nothing to do with Silver Wing design.    Laughing

You can speculate all you like about future Silver Wing design, but as I've already said the updated SW-T Silver Wing is already out there in 400 ABS and 600 ABS versions, and the original FJS/FSC version is still on sale.

If and when a newer version is introduced, most of us on here will have hung up our helmets for good or shuffled off our mortal coil, so it doesn't really matter does it.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3294
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 7:33 am

To Hot Wings----says you are 45 years old----so does that mean you had a new SR500 when you were 10 or so? My comparisons are always new to new----not old worn out stuff, SR500 was good bike bought new......remember at the time, 1978 or so, most of us still knew how to kick start a bike.

I have no fear of a new SR400, other than it is a little slow, gas tank small.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 9:49 am

Yes my 78 sr500 was worn out. It had around 8000klm's (4971m) on it scratch . We now travel that distance between oil changes! I think the SR is officially worn out at the 3000klm mark Crying or Very sad . It was 8 years old when i had it. By comparison my 05 silverwing is now 10 years old with 24000klm on it and it runs flawlessly as it did new! Thank God it doesnt even have a kick starter. I never could figure out what was "good" about the "good old days". I'll take todays comforts and technology.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 2:02 pm

I agree hotwings about the new technology on bikes. However, if anything goes wrong now, it is more often than not Electrical. As nearly everything has an ECU unit controlling everything most of us would have to call in the "experts" to sort it out, whereas in "the old days" you just checked for a spark and fuel and, vey rarely, for the contact breaker gap being right. Usually a five minute break and a "run and bump" got you going again. Having said that i have to smile when someone starts to say they have "vintage" (old ) bike. If like John, myself, and many others you rode the things at the time you cursed them as much as you rode them Smile
Back to top Go down
oldgwingguy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2015-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 08, 2015 3:14 pm

If like John, myself, and many others you rode the things at the time you cursed them as much as you rode them <<<<<<<<<< LOL, thinking about my old Zundap, kick pray kick kick pray.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Future Silverwing Design   Future Silverwing Design I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Future Silverwing Design
Page 1 of 1