Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Trike Riders! Stand up and be counted!
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 8:06 pm

» Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:50 pm

» Introduction.
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 6:02 am

» Temperature Gauge Norm
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Slugg Today at 2:05 am

» Hello from North Florida
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» Radiator Removal
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 6:31 am

» Crumpled...........
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby KurtPerthWA Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:46 pm

» Parting out 2004 Silverwing 600
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Jul 24, 2024 10:18 pm

» Stator wire gauge
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:54 pm

» Overheat problem
Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Interested in a scooter.

Go down 
+9
hotwings
HORNBLOWER
exavid
Winger61
model28a
Meldrew
"Hi Yo"
DanB
Adrian999
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Adrian999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-05-11

Interested in a scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 7:12 am

Hi everyone, I have just returned from Madrid where the silverwing and other maxi scoots are very popular. I got to thinking I would like one for the ease of use and practicality in the uk.
My only concern would be the bikes ability to travel two up with enough luggage for a long weekend. I'm talking bed and breakfast - no camping gear just clothes and toiletries.
We are going to the Isle of Man again this year , last year on a fazer 600 with throw over panniers and a tank bag. We would only be taking a similar amount of kit.
I am also viewing a silverwing tonight that is for sale locally. An 03 plate,private sale, years mot and a service. Looks very tidy and has only 13,700 miles from new.
What is a good fair price for this machine and any things I should look out for when I view.
I am an experienced biker 34 years of riding but not on big scooters.
Any help would be appreciated. Adrian
Back to top Go down
DanB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
DanB

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2013-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 8:10 am

Adrian, the SW 600 is capable of riding 2up for touring and has enough storage under the seat for one medium size duffel bag. If you and your companion can both live out of one bag which my wife and I cannot, consider a top box like a Givi. I've got a Givi V46 and can also get a duffel bag in there. With the top box we can go for a long weekend together.

Not sure about prices in the UK but here in the US, a 2003 SW will sell for about 2-3k depending on mileage. I paid 2k fir my 03 with 39k mileage.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Interested in a scooter. 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 11:38 am

welcome Welcome to the forum Adrian. With the addition of a top case, you should definitely have enough storage space. Some people who have needed more have added a tunnel bag.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4192
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 12:52 pm

I've done two week tours with Mrs M to Germany on the Silver Wing no problem. I do use a tunnel bag but I've alway used one, I originally converted a Chase Harper tank bag to use on my Helix years before tunnel bags were commercially available. Two up touring is the only time I use soft panniers/saddlebags as usually Ortlieb dry bags are sufficient when I'm touring solo. I use them to bring stuff back from €uroland as I like a bit of retail therapy.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2015 7:33 pm

welcome Adrian welcome to the forum. I ride solo so I can't add anything to advice already given.
 I agree with Dan $2,000-$3,000 US-$ depending on condition.

If you end up buying the Silverwing and want to learn about it or plan on doing your own maintenance you'll find you can do anything you need or want with the service manual and help from this forum.
I add the paragraph below for most new members because there's a lot of information in the links and may save you some work.
Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
Adrian999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 8:26 am

thanks for the help. Went to see the sw yesterday, almost mint condition, full service history just a bit of paint flaking on the front wheel.
Says he will take 2k cash, i am sorely tempted x
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 11:15 am

Go for it - Hornsea needs Silver Wings!! Low mileage - barely run in, and the price seems reasonable. I've got 43K on my 04, and it never misses a beat.

Might even see you there later in the year, we often come over to visit on the Wing. I lived in Mappleton for a lot of my younger years, and my Dad was floor manager at the Floral Hall in the 60's, so lots of memories for me. Usually call in at the cafe there for a bite to eat.
(Now living in exile in Lincolnshire!)

Graham
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 12:12 am

Adrian999 wrote:
thanks for the help. Went to see the sw yesterday, almost mint condition, full service history just a bit of paint flaking on the front wheel.

Tempted! Tempted! Jump on it man! swing band
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 5:14 am

Adrian999 wrote:

Hi Adrian, that looks like a good deal, I was lucky last year and picked up an 04 with 1700miles for 1,750 its all but immaculate and was only 5 miles from where i live. There were a couple of tiny marks underneath where the owner put it down on gravel and the wheels were flaking a tiny bit. Its a very easy job to strip the wheels and get them powdercoated, just make sure you use a suitable material to mask the mounting points for the brake discs! It is often a good idea to get the wheels stripped then mask all bits you dont want coated yourself. up here in Birmingham I can get them done for about 25 pounds and if you have Groupon it often comes up as one of their offers. Last week there was an offer on doing 21 pounds a wheel!!!!

Last edited by HORNBLOWER on Fri May 15, 2015 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 11:45 am

Why stand ye gazing? Buy it! You'll be glad you did.
Back to top Go down
Olof
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2015-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Go for it Adrian. I just bought a 2001 last week w 30,000 miles on the clock, w Givi top box. Have already been out 2-up and it works just wonderfully good w plenty power to get a speeding ticket... As a Swing newbie I really want to confirm that this forum is a gold mine both regarding the experience and help you can get, but also for a very nice tone.
/Olof
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 3:49 pm

Olof wrote:
<> I really want to confirm that this forum...also [has] a very nice tone

Aw, that's because you haven't annoyed our resident curmudgeons yet.Wink
Back to top Go down
Adrian999
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 2:00 pm

Finally bought one, only 5 years, one month later. Never could make a quick decision......
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2020 3:02 pm

It's no good hastily rushing into momentous decisions like this.
Was it worth the wait?
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Interested in a scooter.   Interested in a scooter. I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 am

Im am so happy you made a decision to get a SW. Im on my second one, sold the high mileage one when I found one with 2,300. miles.
Back to top Go down

Interested in a scooter.
Page 1 of 1