Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» drive belts
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 5:43 pm

» New member from Europe
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:55 pm

» New Silverwing owner, thoughts and questions
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby alex_at Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Will my 2002 Silverwing 600 fit in the bed of my F150 Ford with Tailgat up or down?
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby tedebr Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:56 pm

» Is this a good price for a Silverwing 2006
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:19 pm

» What were they thinking?
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:57 am

» Hello everyone
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:54 am

» Sidelight Bulbs
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Green7 Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

» Voyager trike kit forsale
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Mkdelay12@gmail.com Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:41 pm

» tiny oil leak
First scooter. I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:41 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First scooter.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
scotchjoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2017-04-05

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 5:24 am

Greetings Earthlings.Joe a Scottish type person who has been living in Northern Ireland for the last 35 years.
have been lurking around for a couple of weeks now using the search facility to gain knowledge on my new to me Silverwing.Its a 2002 with only 3500 miles showing.The panels are fairly rough,looks like its been sitting in the middle of a garage and regularly clouted with this that and the other by the look of it.
I am sure that the mileage is correct as it was still shod with 2001 half worn tyres and a fairly deep strip down to check it over shows very little wear/corrosion on brake calipers ect.
Currently being prepared for a bit of two up touring.I also have a Honda Blackbird and a VFR800,but spending long days on sports tourers no longer appeals to the wife and myself.Comfort is the new speed.
So new...
Drive belt,oil and filter,final drive oil,coolant,tyres,brake fluid,throttle bodies balanced,calipers cleaned and checked,air filter,fork seals and oil,loom checked over and connector blocks cleaned and lubed with dialectric grease,spark plugs ect,ect.
Bought a manual on ebay to keep me right with the torques ect.
Bike only came with one HISS key but chipped blanks are available on ebay and coding to the bike is straightforward.So now have two keys.
Plenty to keep me busy for a while.
Attachments
First scooter. AttachmentIMG_0607 (640x480).jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(203 Kb) Downloaded 25 times
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 am

Hello Joe, and welcome!
Sounds like a 'project' to me.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed with any aspect of the Silverwing.

Best wishes. Smile
Back to top Go down
scotchjoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 am

Had the Silverwing out for a 40 mile run before stripping it down.Picked a dry warm day(not easily found in Northern Ireland)due to the 16 year old tyres
Found it all a bit strange at first as never ridden a scooter before.Very enjoyable and comfy to ride,the wife likes the fact that there will be no side panniers to clamber over when touring due to the cavernous storage available under the seat.
I enjoy cobbling at my own machines and find it the best way to familiarise myself with a new steed.
Its not been much loved up until now,so thought best to just check everything.
If I do it myself,I will know it has been done.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 7:28 am

scotchjoe, sounds like you are well underway in your conversion to a scooter rider. This is a great place to share knowledge and wisdom about the SWing ( and other rides). With your background in riding you have a lot to share.
Welcome to the site.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3783
Registration date : 2009-06-29

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 7:37 am

There was a chap who ran a business leading motorcycle tours in Europe; he used a big BMW bike himself, his wife riding pillion and navigation.
One winter he broke his leg. Even though it was healing he found that he was unable to manage the BM and, with the Riding Season approaching with booked tours, he bought a Silverwing, hoping he'd be able to keep up with his groups!

The Silverwing surpassed all his hopes - even his wife found it better since the seat was both more comfortable and higher so she could see over his head for easier navigation.

I'm sure you'll love it.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2013-09-12

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 8:02 am

Welcome Joe, from Nova Scotia. Good luck with your project. I'm sure the people here will be able to fill in answers to anything you can't find. Their knowledge on the Silver Wing is amazing.

Where in NI is home? I had a visit there in '97 and have great memories from that trip.

Mike
Back to top Go down
scotchjoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 8:25 am

Thankyou for the warm welcome.
What I have found out in many years of two wheeled travel is that no one bike does it all.I have tried to stick to just one bike,but it never seems to fulfils all of our needs.
Rather than have one very new and expensive bike I would rather have a couple or three older machines adding up to the same value(trying not to say bike all the time).
I would say the Silverwing will be a keeper.Growing older fast(55yrs) and my needs are changing with the time passing.
The silverwing will be used for a wee jaunt up the west coast of Scotland in mid May.My favourite time to visit due to fewer midges and less caravans.
In answer to location I am from just outside Limavady,a wee town in the Northwest.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2540
Registration date : 2012-05-17

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 8:45 am

Welcome, Joe! Enjoy your new to you scoot. Sounds like you are checking things out great, it should have lots of miles left in it! Lots of help available on here and pictorials to peruse!
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

Don't think we passed through Limavady, Joe.  However, were only about 35 / 40 km away with a visit to Bushmills.  For a distillery tour, of course.  That was kind of funny.  Our group was the last tour of the day and the workers wanted to get home.  It was ...."welcome, ... we make it here,... we bottle it over there,... we package it there and store it in here,..... your samples are through that door .... have a nice day - thanks for coming..." LOL.  We must have waited 45 minutes for the 10 minute tour.  Anyway, not sure the route we took back to where we stayed in Bangor.  Great scenery everywhere in that area!
Mike
Back to top Go down
scotchjoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Mike from NS wrote:
Don't think we passed through Limavady, Joe.  However, were only about 35 / 40 km away with a visit to Bushmills.  For a distillery tour, of course.  That was kind of funny.  Our group was the last tour of the day and the workers wanted to get home.  It was ...."welcome, ... we make it here,... we bottle it over there,... we package it there and store it in here,..... your samples are through that door .... have a nice day - thanks for coming..." LOL.  We must have waited 45 minutes for the 10 minute tour.  Anyway, not sure the route we took back to where we stayed in Bangor.  Great scenery everywhere in that area!
Mike
The road round the coast from Bushmills to Belfast is a fine run with lovely scenery,takes in the Giants Causway,rope bridge and a fine collection of twisties.Been on the distillery tour years ago,as you say,nothing to write home about.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 7:05 pm

scotchjoe wrote:

The road round the coast from Bushmills to Belfast is a fine run with lovely scenery,takes in the Giants Causway,rope bridge and a fine collection of twisties.Been on the distillery tour years ago,as you say,nothing to write home about.

Yes, Joe we came to the Giant's Causeway and after that stop headed for Bushmills. Most likely returned the same way. Some of the hills were too much for the van that was our transport and the driver had to seek radiator repairs while we were at the distillery. Saw the rope bridge from the road. It was a foggy damp day but that didn't detract greatly from the lush greenery of the hills and fields. My avatar of the lighthouse is an equivalent tourist trap here. A great destination for a bike ride, as many have found. Here is a link to the web cam for the place: https://www.novascotiawebcams.com/en/webcams/peggys-cove-lighthouse/ Another day was spent in Belfast with dinner at Shenanigan's followed with a play in the Grand Old Opera House near the Europa Hotel. This was 20 years ago!

Mike
Back to top Go down
scotchjoe
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 7:25 am

Very picturesque Mike.
Do you originally come from UK/Europe?
Can't see any reason for leaving Nova Scotia to come and visit the place of much rain(NI).
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am

No Joe, NS is home. Visit was by invite to travel to the homeland with some friends who had moved to NS from NI years ago. Upon return here it was a foggy /rainy day, and two older ladies waiting for a taxi at the airport were heard to grumble ".... well - it is just as wet and just as foggy as at home..."
NS Webcams have several cameras around the province which are accessible through that link. On the Labour Day weekend in September there is a large biker gathering (Wharf Ratts) in Digby NS which their cameras show quite well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

First scooter. Empty
PostSubject: Re: First scooter.   First scooter. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First scooter.
Page 1 of 1